ZF 4HP20 - Missing Ball??
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default ZF 4HP20 - Missing Ball??

I am currently overhauling the 4HP20 from my 1997 V6 XM. The box is dismantled on the bench.
    However, the diagram I have (from Citroen 4HP20 Training Manual) shows a small ball in the valve body. Can anybody verify if this ball really does exist. On the photo, the red arrow is where the ball should live. The yellow arrow is the corresponding back of the valve body.

Thanks, Kim

01 - 4HP20 Missing Ball.JPG

02 - 4HP20 Valve Body Highlight - small.JPG

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi Kim
    Just a general suggestion, look on the floor. Those bloody balls in the valve bodies can be elusive when you pull the body apart. Some autos have lots.
    If you look very closely at the ports with a magnifing glass you can see if there is any slight wear mark on the port(s) where the ball has been sitting and in the trough also.
    Cheers Jaahn

Tadpole

Thanks Jaahn,
    Have had two close looks on the floor but no luck.

I heard back from the sales rep at Motospecs (very helpful). He has been able to find a catalogue listing and there is indeed a ball.

I found some good info on the web for a ZF 4hp22 gearbox (similar but not the same). It has a check ball. It is made of plastic or nylon (not steel!) As you can see in pic 2, the ball is very badly worn. I can easily imagine how the ball would disintegrate and disappear.

04 - 4hp22 check ball.JPG
    05 - 4hp22 check ball - Worn.JPG

Cheers, Kim

Fellow Frogger

Kim, the parts catalogue shows a valve block renovation kit and it includes the ball and other flow restrictors.
    It's not marked NFP, so it's most likely still available via part number 259904.
    XM_ValveBodyKit.JPG
    If not via Citroen, ZF can likely provide it.
    The ball, or lack of one, might be part of the reason for these gearboxes tending to thump into 2nd in old age.

1000+ Posts

Ball or lack of ball or were parts of it end up ,have a real good look to make sure whats left of it isnt lodged someplace thats going to cause you grief later on ,pugs

1000+ Posts

Hi Kim ,
    If it is not steel then ask at an auto transmission shop or two. They will have access to one for sure.
    Jaahn

Do you still need help with that ball?

Thread Information