505GTD turbo tyres
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: 505GTD turbo tyres

Default 505GTD turbo tyres

Thank you for your posts froggers. The wheels I have are the alloy series 2 GTI. The Michelin 195/65 sound good but am wondering if Bridgstone make a tyre that will handle the front end weight. I say this because I get a good deal from my local dealer.

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

hi cal .
    I looked on the web on tempe tyres in Sydney .if u wish they have 195/70/15 but all light truck tyres .the Michelin are 165 each .they have another
    Michelin cheaper 130 each which will be maybe 6 ply tyre.worth checking.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calgooley View Post
    Thank you for your posts froggers. The wheels I have are the alloy series 2 GTI. The Michelin 195/65 sound good but am wondering if Bridgstone make a tyre that will handle the front end weight. I say this because I get a good deal from my local dealer.

I still have little idea of what you want in a tyre but anything in a 195/65-15 will have either a 91 or 95 load rating. The latter is higher rated & a common way of achieving that is to have two polyester sidewall plies rather than the more normal one. Either 91 or 95 should not be stressed by the 505 diesel front end weight unless you run ridiculously low pressures - unwise on a country road for cornering response or a rough road for sidewall damage reasons anyway. I would avoid light truck or van tyres (on wet grip grounds) unless a very large part of your driving time is spent on unsealed & rough roads.

Bridgestone offer a Turanza T001 tyre in the 95 weight loading. It's a good tyre on most parameters of assessment. Being a Turanza & not a fuel-economy optimised Ecopia (optimised away from wet grip that is) the T001 is not part of Bridgestone's current "4 for the price of 3" promotion. However Bridgestone is constantly offering these deals on various of their ranges & you might want to wait until March to see if the Turanza range is next.

0n my parameters of assessment, the pick of the 195/65 offerings is Continental's admirable PremiumContact5 &, in a welcome return to form by Michelin after years of poor to mediocre tyres in this class, Michelin's new Primacy4. Each is 91 load rated. YMMV as I don't know what you prioritise.

Anyway, a useful site to browse is below. Apart from seeing what's available, the prices will give you a negotiating counter with your Bridgestone guy.

https://www.bobjane.com.au/s/195-65r15-tyres?page=2
    Last edited by 4cvg; 3rd February 2019 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks for the info fellows. I will not be driving on really bad roads except for 5 ks of dirt with potholes on which I drive slowly. This is near home.I will be using this 505 GTD turbo for long distance highway runs with occasional good unsealed. The Continentals
    sound good.

1000+ Posts

The PC5 is indeed good. 195/65-15 is the size for my youngest daughter's Corolla. I fitted the PC5. Mind you, Michelin are more likely to be doing a promotion & the Primacy 4 is also good, perhaps better.

Browse this site (hit the "all tests" tab) for the basis of my recommendations.

Continental Premium Contact 5 - Tyre Reviews

Michelin Primacy 4 - Tyre Reviews

Dunlop's FM800 is also worth consideration - an excellent wet tyre.

I've decided to go with the Michelin Energy at $120 each .they are 91H.

1000+ Posts

I've decided to go with the Michelin Energy at $120 each .they are 91H.

Good luck. If you mean an XM2, it is a poor to mediocre tyre in the wet (source: Choice tests). This might not matter to you as much as whatever is attracting you to it but it would matter to me (the XM2 wouldn't even be on my "medium" list).

If you mean the Energy Saver +, it is also a poor to mediocre wet tyre. I would dodge it as well. Browse the tests at:

Michelin Energy Saver Plus - Tyre Reviews

For around an extra hundred bucks, you could have a set of much better tyres on any parameter of performance you care to name except fuel efficiency & longevity.

ymmv, Peter

1000+ Posts

195/65-15 is a useful size for a range of cars which came originally with a narrower & higher profile tyre.

Others might be interested in my choices. For me, wet grip under braking & laterally is of paramount importance & no tyre listed below is dangerous in this respect although some are better than others. Apart from the ones identified as regional (not sold in Europe) each can be checked on via the tests collated at the Tyre Reviews site in Britain.

The regional ones are more awkward. Choice does tests (access only to subscribers) & Wheels & an on-line cousin of theirs test smallish mid-range tyres like these.

Mostly from Bob Jane's site for prices & including discounts (D) applicable, I'd short (S) & medium (M) list the following (in order of price for a set of 4; although these are all pre-haggling, they give a rough comparative idea):

$350 D
    Hankook Kinergy Eco K425 M

$520 (500 at Jax - odd, BJ is usually cheaper but they'd beat Jax)
    Continental UltraContact6 M (a regional type with diminished wet grip compared to the PC5)

[$480 D Michelin XM2 Sorry, it's out of price order. Not recommended & included for price comparison purposes only. A regional type & about to be replaced by an upgraded version: the XM2+.]

$520
    Pirelli P6 M. Another regional type but rather crisper than its Euro brother, the P1, which is also available, & better in the wet. I have owned each of these for the rear of my rear-engined Renaults (in 185/60-14) & can't see whyone would buy the P1 over the P6 unless higher load loading is crucial. Of these two, only the P1 is available in the 95 rating - see below.

$580
    Bridgestone Turanza T001 M Mostly included as it is available in a 95 load rating. I have also had the T001 on the rear of my R.E. Renaults. It's a good tyre & my view of it in the wet was better than some of the tests at Tyre Reviews (perhaps I got one of the compound upgrades).

$600
    Continental PremiumContact5 S Apart from wear being higher than many (often a trade-off for wet grip although compounders are becoming cleverer) I consider this tyre to be exemplary across the range of parameters of performance appraisal. An older type now (replaced by the PC6, although not in this size) but still on test podia - as it has consistently been since its release. Fitted & now refitted to a daughter's car in this size.

$600
    Michelin Primacy4 S Michelin has long had mediocre offerings in this "premium touring" tyre group but the P4 seems to be a sharp improvement over its predecessors. Only one test seen so far but it is notable for beating the PC5 (a known & excellent reference point). Tests vary in the protocols employed & one really wants a good result in the parameters of major interest over a spread of tests but other evidence of a Michelin revival with the PS4 & PS4S generates optimism that this is a very good tyre.

$620
    Pirelli P1 M See comments above for the P6.

$620 (a Jax price, so a better comparison price would be around $600)
    Dunlop FM800 M (drifting up towards S) I haven't seen a test of these yet as it's a regional type. But it's another tyre I've fitted to the rear of my Renaults & I thus have T001, P6 & P1 as recent reference points (two of these are widely tested). I rate them as very good indeed laterally in the wet (unusual in a regionally focused design type). It's noticeably better in the wet than the other 3. (I fang in the wet.) Good as it is though, I can't see why one would choose it over the PC5 or P4.

YMMV Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 17th February 2019 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks for all the tyre info 4cvg. I am not a fangio behind the wheel so the Michelins I've bought , the ones you don't recommend, should see me good. They felt great on my drive home and rain? What's that?

1000+ Posts

Thanks for all the tyre info 4cvg. I am not a fangio behind the wheel so the Michelins I've bought , the ones you don't recommend, should see me good. They felt great on my drive home and rain? What's that?

Bonne chance! Many people remark (much as you do in the other thread) that they drive fairly sedately & thus concerns with grip levels & limit behaviour are rather non-applicable.

My response is to point out that the emergency brake &/or dodge (especially in the wet) is a classic-car potential destruction scenario & one where one wants one's tyres to be part of the solution, not the problem.

And, short of emergency actions, there are many lesser scenarios (the tightening radius corner, the un-noticed wet patch in one's braking zone . . .) where tyre qualities loom large.

One dynamic merit of the XM2 is that it is fairly crisp in response in the dry so you might be able to dodge if grip levels are not exceeded.

cheers! Peter
    cjl likes this.

Thanks for your response Peter.

1000+ Posts

all good; I hope that the XM2 works for you in your conditions of use (planned & unplanned).

cheers! Peter

Thread Information