1985 505 SR wagon poor fuel economy.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 1985 505 SR wagon poor fuel economy.

I have a 505 wagon which in general terms I am very happy with but the fuel economy I feel is absolutely appalling. This wagon is an automatique which does about 3400 revs at 100k's. The best economy that I have got on a long trip was about 8.4k/l and this was taking it really easy to try to stretch the fuel as much as possible. The general fuel economy seems to be more in the vicinity of about 7.5 to 8k/L.This car is only a 2 litre carburetted engine and I find it hard to believe it can slurp so much fuel through.Any input on this percieved problem would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Johnstone
    I have a 505 wagon which in general terms I am very happy with but the fuel economy I feel is absolutely appalling. This wagon is an automatique which does about 3400 revs at 100k's. The best economy that I have got on a long trip was about 8.4k/l and this was taking it really easy to try to stretch the fuel as much as possible. The general fuel economy seems to be more in the vicinity of about 7.5 to 8k/L.This car is only a 2 litre carburetted engine and I find it hard to believe it can slurp so much fuel through.Any input on this percieved problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Check to see if the EGR valve is stuck open. If this is the case the car will run very lean on the primary barrel and you will probably be driving it on the secondary most of the time.
    I run an early 504 carby on my 505 GR, it works very well but it has taken many months to find one which didn't have a blocked idle system.
    You realy need to get these carbies professionally cleaned.

Graham Wallis

Tadpole

Default 1985 505 SR wagon poor fuel economy

Thanks Graham for your input... I'll follow that up. Apart from that, could you give me some specifics on what fuel consumption you got, so I have something to aim for if the engine does run more efficiently?? The car has had new spark plugs and has been to a workshop and been put on the gas analyser and tuned to run right at idle. This of course does not mean it will be efficient as the revs and the load increases.

Bruce

VIP Sponsor

Thanks Graham for your input... I'll follow that up. Apart from that, could you give me some specifics on what fuel consumption you got, so I have something to aim for if the engine does run more efficiently?? The car has had new spark plugs and has been to a workshop and been put on the gas analyser and tuned to run right at idle. This of course does not mean it will be efficient as the revs and the load increases.

Bruce

I have got up to 8.5 litres per hundred. This was in a manual sedan though.
    The government steady state cruising economy for the manual sedan was 7 litres per hundred.
    A manual gearbox would make a big improvement.

Graham Wallis

There may be some untoward reason for it, but 505 GR manual recently returned approx 550 kms plus per tank (52 litres) on the highway when I moved from Melbourne to Coffs Harbour, and it was very heavily laden at the time. Previously on the same journey I have gotten 500kms plus to a tank. Is my car very well tuned or is something else up?...zac

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by zac505
    There may be some untoward reason for it, but 505 GR manual recently returned approx 550 kms plus per tank (52 litres) on the highway when I moved from Melbourne to Coffs Harbour, and it was very heavily laden at the time. Previously on the same journey I have gotten 500kms plus to a tank. Is my car very well tuned or is something else up?...zac

Look at my previuos posting, I have got similar figures.
    This was the whole point, that the manual sedan is a lot better than the auto wagon and that maybe a manual transmission in the wagon would provide benefits.

Graham Wallis

I got a bit mixed up there, thinking you meant 8.5 km/l...zac

Bruce,
    Hi there. How long have you had your '05 wagon?......We have one and have had it for about 8 years, and in that time economy and 505 wagon do not enter the vocabulary in the same sentence. Do not get me wrong, our 505 is a much loved car, only it'suse of fuel is a sore point. My wife wouldn't drive anything else.
    505 wagons are a big car, and yes I agree that a manual gear-box would definatly help or if at all possible the later auto transmission with locking torque converter could be an advantage also.
    Chris
    Last edited by orange17; 28th May 2004 at 10:53 PM.

Yes I must agree. I've got an '88 505 wagon (injected manual) and I was surprised that it normally returns about 12l/100km, certainly no better and that's in Canberra where it doesn't sit in traffic for hours. I suppose when it comes down to it, it's a big vehicle for a small motor (mine's the 2.2l). It's also a solid vehicle, which is one of the reasons I like it, unlike the very light Japanese cars. However, there's certainly something to be said for the modern lean burn, computer controlled engines - they are far more efficient! My BMW's got enough power to take on virtually anything else on the road yet it never gives worse than 10 or 10.5l/100km and does about 7.5 on the open road (at our stupid speeds anyway).
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

Tadpole

Thanks guys for some feedback.

This is actually "Bruce's wife" responding, as it is MY car but he feels responsible for all the technical side of things. We've had the car for almost a year now and it has been a steep learning curve. Being in a small town we have discovered tradespeople (mechanics and the only auto electrician in town) aren't keen on working on Peugeots at all due to their unfamiliarity. The auto electrician vowed he would never touch our car again so when the fuses went (some shorting out problem) we got a friend (retired mechanic) to play with it and he sorted out problems we'd had even which the auto electrician didn't know how to fix (or that he actually caused when removing the starter motor soon after we got the car). It's a worry to be at the mercy of these people who have a monopoly on their trade.

One of the reasons we got the car was because of the versatility of the wagon and also its high clearance which is necessary for our rutted and irregular dirt roads out of town. It rides really well and is smooth as anything but the drama is the fuel when we live 30km out of town and fuel is about 10c/litre dearer than in Brisbane! Nevertheless we have discovered some good tips here and elsewhere but ultimately it would be cool to suss out the option of a manual gearbox. This is my first automatic car and it's a shame there is no fourth or fifth gear for the trek into town.

It's good to hear that others have a fuel problem and it's not the way I drive!! (I don't know what Bruce's opinion is though)

Fuel prices in Warwick are stable at a mid-point between Brisbane's high and low prices.

In other words, on a given week, you'll pay maybe 3c or 4c more per litre than the lowest price you'll get in Brisbane that week... but you'll be 5c or so a litre better off than you'd be if you arrived in Brisbane on the day the price goes up again. I wouldn't have thought that Stanthorpe would be that much higher than Warwick, I know I don't mind topping up at Wallangarra with my 2c IFS discount card.

If you're 30kms out of Stanthorpe, in which direction is it?

I have to agree, too, that your problem is likely very much related to the bits between the drive plate and the universal joint... weight is not really an issue except in city use... or in 'driving around the farm' use, stopping and starting...

Default Poor Fuel economy on 505 auto wagon

Hi Bruce.

Are you just asking about the figures other are getting? Or a solution focus to reduce your fuel use?

Al

Thread Information