Ignition for an Even Fire V6
  • Register
  • Help

Default Ignition for an Even Fire V6

Att Graham Wallis or Graeme Lewis or any others with genuine knowledge please

I have an even fire engine and two Garrett T28 turbos ex Nissan R32 GTR for my 505 to replace the Oddfire 2850 V6 and single TO4 turbo currently in the 505. What options do I have for an ignition system?

Some ideas I can think of are to bore out the RH head for a conventional dizzy, use a Jaycar kit but I don't know what it would use as a crank sensor. Volvo used a sensor on the bell housing to detect a light metal ring on the flywheel.

Advertisement
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OddFireV6
    Att Graham Wallis or Graeme Lewis or any others with genuine knowledge please

I have an even fire engine and two Garrett T28 turbos ex Nissan R32 GTR for my 505 to replace the Oddfire 2850 V6 and single TO4 turbo currently in the 505. What options do I have for an ignition system?

Some ideas I can think of are to bore out the RH head for a conventional dizzy, use a Jaycar kit but I don't know what it would use as a crank sensor. Volvo used a sensor on the bell housing to detect a light metal ring on the flywheel.

can you use the same system as the commodore V6 with the coil packs and crank sensor

they seem to be a tidy unit and fairly compact sitting on the front of the left hand bank

just a thought i had a while ago if i ever went even fire
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

are you going EFI? If so, run an aftermarket ECU and commodore coil packs. That way, you dont need a dizzy at all!! All you need is a crank angle sensor to run the lot
    Other wise, just run the Volvo (I'm assuming its a Volvo motor) dizzy?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Haakon, Sorry I should have said I am using straight LP gas via a Gas Research carburettor so I will not have an ECU of any kind. Therefore its a dizzy only that I need.

The Volvo dizzy will not work, only oddfire Volvos had distributors and this would obviously not work in an even fire, all the even fires used an ECU based ignition with a HT distributor on the LH head. I have thought I could use any six cylinder ditributor from an old Ford or Holden straight six but these would need to be adapted to fit.
    Last edited by OddFireV6; 24th May 2004 at 04:53 PM.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Even fire Renault motors (ie late R25 V6 and R25 V6 Turbo) run a dizzy on the front of the left bank. It is just a cap and rotor, and combined with simple solid state ignition module and crank angle sensor (eg like a Fuego system) you will be in business. Now you just have to find an evenfire R25 V6 dizzy and timing chain cover

Otherwise, you might find an aftermarket ECU for ignition only - use it with the crank angle sensor and commodore coils.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Even fire Renault motors (ie late R25 V6 and R25 V6 Turbo) run a dizzy on the front of the left bank. It is just a cap and rotor, and combined with simple solid state ignition module and crank angle sensor (eg like a Fuego system) you will be in business. Now you just have to find an evenfire R25 V6 dizzy and timing chain cover

Otherwise, you might find an aftermarket ECU for ignition only - use it with the crank angle sensor and commodore coils.

Alan Upton and I bought a sensor from Beninca's (Autronic dealer) and used (added) bolts on the flywheel to trigger it and the ECU.
    As long as you work out the angles you should be able to trigger a Jaycar system and then use the HT distributor to do the switching between cylinders.

Graham Wallis

Thread Information