Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By driven
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 3 Post By Kenfuego
  • 1 Post By driven

Thread: LED HEADLIGHT Globes - Bush "Electrical" Mechanic

Default LED HEADLIGHT Globes - Bush "Electrical" Mechanic

Need new Globes? Get those fancy LED ones and impress your Froggie mates
    Too expensive, worry not. Bush Mechanic will help today.

Easy, get your old globe, smash out the inner bits, safety here. Save the mounting ring.

Down to local hardware, get those great LED torches.

Bit of Silastic, all set for that RWC.

l3.jpgl1.jpgl2.jpg

Advertisement
    Beano likes this.

1000+ Posts

Around here it will get you into strife with a roadworthy. Leave it to the bushies.

Get your old globe, smash out the inner bits.....then discover that the LED cluster is not 12 volt...

Get another, then discover going home late that night 10 Ks from town, that there is some weird electrical incompatibility...

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Get your old globe, smash out the inner bits.....then discover that the LED cluster is not 12 volt...

Look closely my grasshopper it is actually a torch fitted into the retaining ring with silastic

See l2.jpg,last image, unfortunate our thumbnails aren't working

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Look closely my grasshopper it is actually a torch fitted into the retaining ring with silastic

See l2.jpg,last image, unfortunate our thumbnails aren't working
    Just make sure that you mount the globes with the on/off switch easily accessible. Also, what happens when the batteries go flat?

Hmm shouldn't let real world issues get in the way of a good invention!

Cheers

Alec

Except you wouldn't get a roadworthy using those bulbs as you wouldn't have high beam and low beam.

The photograph shows a P45T bulb base so presumably this if for a older car (70's or earlier).

A normal P45T bulb has the low-beam filament that shine upwards so bounces off the top of the reflector and the the light is directed downwards and to the left (for RHD cars).
    The bulb in your fix, apart from not being switchable from low beam to high beam, would just direct the light straight ahead.
    So whichever way the bulb is pointing, which is probably straight ahead, that where the light beam will be directed (with some minor refraction by the light lens). Also, the torch bulb has a very narrow beam totally unsuitable for a car.
    This might work as a temporary fix if you're stranded half way across the Nullabour or some such place but no good anywhere else.

Cheers
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Progress

Don't worry the LED conversion will happen.

I used to sell a swag of 12 volt Lucas flat ring base globes to a guy each year at the Bendigo annual Vintage Car market, he told me he bought the globes just for the Lucas base, to smash the globes and solder in a Halogen replacement headlight globe. he was sourcing those halogen globes from Asia. Unfortunately for me his Asian supplier on learning what he was doing offered to supply a headlight globe in that configuration and undercut my price!!

So I guess if there is a market the same Asian suppliers will build a better LED headlight globe if you will pay for one.

Now if anyone needs some Vintage Lucas based 12 volt double contact headlight globes, I think I still have a few!!

Ken

Do those Lucas bulbs come with a smoke replacement kit?
    COL likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Like that!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Do those Lucas bulbs come with a smoke replacement kit?

but sounds like fake news ( I tried never to let the smoke escape from my lucas equipment) once they were sold they were out of my control John

Ken
    COL, JohnW and driven like this.

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Except you wouldn't get a roadworthy using those bulbs as you wouldn't have high beam and low beam.

The photograph shows a P45T bulb base so presumably this if for a older car (70's or earlier).

A normal P45T bulb has the low-beam filament that shine upwards so bounces off the top of the reflector and the the light is directed downwards and to the left (for RHD cars).
    The bulb in your fix, apart from not being switchable from low beam to high beam, would just direct the light straight ahead.
    So whichever way the bulb is pointing, which is probably straight ahead, that where the light beam will be directed (with some minor refraction by the light lens). Also, the torch bulb has a very narrow beam totally unsuitable for a car.
    This might work as a temporary fix if you're stranded half way across the Nullabour or some such place but no good anywhere else.

Cheers
    This is a Bush Mechanic Trick only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_Mechanics

Then watch the Bush Mechanic Youtube Videos

I am only perpetuating these crazy fixes from the Bush.
    It is kinda tongue in cheek, but could get you going if stranded out on the back and beyond
    Recent Bush Mechanic posts, Valve spring and Brake piston compressors are great ideas.

Encourage others to submit their quirky ideas
    Armidillo likes this.

Thread Information