• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PeterT

Thread: 306 S16 performance upgrades

Tadpole

Default 306 S16 performance upgrades

Hi all,

Back in the day I visited frequently and the collective knowledge helped me turn a road going '95 S16 into a dedicated rally car. The series reg's I ran in meant the engine and brakes had to be stock, I ran the car for 3 years and got it to the point where it was pretty solid requiring only fixing bits I broke when I got too excited and left the track.

I haven't run the car for a few years and am now looking at getting it back up and running and a bit more out of it for the occasional sprint/dirt circuit work (maybe a rally here and there if I get time). It's a dedicated race/rally car so comfort is pretty much dead last in any consideration.

I've been reading over the last few weeks on performance upgrades and i'm seeing a lot of pro/cons for various options. Looking for some idea's or input on where to go.

Advertisement

Suspension is sorted, I've got MCA custom built and tuned. Needs a rebuild but the suspension soaked up a lot of abuse and kept on trucking.

Gearbox, looking at a LSD of some description, possibly Quaife but am not 100% yet.

Brakes, haven't done a lot of research but these will be first off the rank for improving.

Engine, this is where i'm seeing a lot of controversy. Changing the exhaust manifold and back seems to be a no brainer. Intake manifold, well I have no idea, thought GTI6 would be the go (decade old info) but am lost after reading. CAMs, upgrade intake, leave exhaust stock? I'm not wanting to pull the bottom end apart as it's been reliable and will get run in current loadout (balanced) until it breaks.

ECU, yep need replacing, what type will depend on which tuner I go with. Open to options around Brissy if anyone knows someone. Not sure if the normal Brissy mechanics are the best ones to talk to about getting more out of the old girl?

Best case scenario i'd love to get a Maxi replica, wallet probably won't extend to that unfortunately, but like to get closer than I am now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Rexxus

Quote Originally Posted by rexxus View Post
    ECU,......., what type will depend on which tuner I go with.
    This shouldn't be the case. You should choose ECU based on the functionality you need. The good tuners will tune any ECU. They might not install it if they are a dealer for another brand of ECU but they will tune it.

Choose a locally supported ECU. You won't get any decent support from UK ECU companies and no one here tunes them.

My picks are:
    1. MoTeC M130 (High-end ECU. Particularly good for install DBW throttle and have traction control.)
    2. MoTeC M84 (Mid level Club motorsport ECU. Can be had for close to E1500 money but more powerful.)
    3. Haltech Elite 1500 (Mid level ECU. Best of the rest.)
    4. Haltech Elite 750 (If your budget is considerably limited and you need minimal functionality.)

Emtron would be another Australian ECU to consider but you would be spending MoTeC money.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Choose a locally supported ECU. You won't get any decent support from UK ECU companies and no one here tunes them.

My picks are:
    1. MoTeC M130 (High-end ECU. Particularly good for install DBW throttle and have traction control.)
    2. MoTeC M84 (Mid level Club motorsport ECU. Can be had for close to E1500 money but more powerful.)
    3. Haltech Elite 1500 (Mid level ECU. Best of the rest.)
    4. Haltech Elite 750 (If your budget is considerably limited and you need minimal functionality.)

Emtron would be another Australian ECU to consider but you would be spending MoTeC money.
    Thanks Bluey. that's a good point I hadn't considered, i'll do some research on what I need and go from there to find someone to tune it. I've heard good things about both MoTeC and Haltech so will do some reading.

Don't buy a Quaife for tarmac work. There is a ZF for sale on 205 Forum. You also need the inner CV joint.

The easiest upgrade is indeed to just swap out the inlet cam for something like my Stage I regrind. That will run with the standard ECU. If you're removing the head however, I would give it a full reco and fit a high lift billet inlet cam, reground exhaust cam and PAC gold pressing valve springs, PAC-S10011. These will need to be installed at the correct height, requiring thicker shims.

If you really want the engine to come alive, I would also fit a thinner head gasket, if you're not going to pull the bottom end apart and deck the block.

ECU wise, I don't agree with Bluey. The Elite 1000 is all you need for a 4 cylinder running full sequential fuel and ignition, unless you're planning to add a turbo and want closed loop boost control. Then 1500 is necessary.

Gearbox - the standard S16 ratios are too wide for track work. You should send it to Adrian Wuillemin for an upgrade to either 205 GTi or GTi6 ratios, keeping the original crown wheel and pinion.

Brakes - talk to Parry. He bought a very good 4 pot caliper and rotor kit recently for the front.

Rear Suspension - what ARB and torsion bars are your using?
    FedGrapes likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Re: ECU, I have an Emtron and very happy with it.
    You spend similar to a motec m130 GPA, but with wideband onboard, more I/O, and no upgrades to buy piecemeal.
    I’ve had very good support from the manufacturer in sydney when needed.
    Tuning setup doesn’t seem so different to orhers, but with any ECU there’s quirks of software layout to get your head around.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    NŁrburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Fellow Frogger!

With my S16 as the head gasket went I had the head reconditioned but with standard valves and one of Peter T,a stage 1 inlet (already fitted by previous owner and on Peterís advice I have advanced the inlet 4degrees as it was over fuelling at wide open throttle, I then installed a decompression plate and have fitted a super charger ( bottom end is stock). Due to budget I went with an Omex 600 ECU which comes with the software to tune the engine ECU. I am in the final stages of the build and hope to have the tuning done in March. As for the brakes I fitted 206 GTI 180 fronts and the rear are standard as my car is for road use and not the track. I went with the super charger conversion as I can achieve a lot more power for the money I would be spending to get the best from the engine in N/A form. At the end of the day it depends on your budget. I would ditch the inlet manifold set up and fit a GTI 6 inlet manifold and throttle body especially if you are going to fit an aftermarket ECU and look at changing the exhaust manifold as I was advised that it may cause some restrictions on my conversion but due to money I left mine standard but I have a high flow catalytic converter and a full custom exhaust fitted. I would be interested to see what route you decide and the power increase achieved. Itís good to hear that an S16 is going to be kept alive as they are becoming very rare these days.

Tadpole

Thanks all, interesting. At this stage i'd prefer to stay NA, i know i'd get more bang for my buck power wise throwing some sort of forced induction on but would like a different challenge.

PeterT, i've read a lot of your advice over the last few weeks and I'd like to explore what you mentioned above a bit more, got to get my old STi ready for sale and that should fund some decent engine work.

Definitely agree about the gearing being too wide, I remembering struggling at some of the tighter rallies, faster more open roads it wasn't so bad but back inside the forestry i'd be a 1/3 to 1/2 a gear short from 1st to 2nd and 3rd in my opinion.

Rear suspension I'm running standard sizing, i did upgrade initially (can't remember if went to 21 or 22mm) but dropped it back to standard as it got a little kicky when going over multiple jumps (even with adjustable damping/rebound with remote canisters). Plus with the full cage from the front struts to the rear beam mounting points the whole chassis is rather stiff.

I don't know enough about ECU's so will have to continue reading to get a better feel for what I need now and into the future, although staying NA might help in that regard (unless anyones got a cheap 205 T16 that needs a new home).

Still not 100% on Quaife or ZF, as i'll be wanting to do both dirt and track work i'll have to compromise somewhere. That probably includes the intake as I'll need decent filtering which not sure if I can get with TB (may be wrong as never dug too far down that rabbit hole).

Thinking further through what I want, I love the farts and crackles of anti-lag but thinking a decent revving NA screamer would be fun. So stage 1 (maybe Stage 2, although probably start hitting the limit of FWD) CAMs with comp plate and other bits, more research to do on ECU, intake and exhaust
    Last edited by rexxus; 5th January 2019 at 12:21 AM.

Thread Information