Really good hand cleaner recommendation - 'Reinol'.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Really good hand cleaner recommendation - 'Reinol'.

1000+ Posts

Default Really good hand cleaner recommendation - 'Reinol'.

Hi guys,

My son has just started in a marine engine workshop and brought home some of their hand cleaner - what a revelation! This stuff called Reinol is just brilliant. A pleasant smelling slightly abrasive white paste, it removes everything I can throw at it and washes off really easily in water, unlike many hand cleaners which leave a slimy residue or hydrocarbon smell. This washes off leaving your hands like they were never dirty and you'd never used hand cleaner. It's the best I've used for sure.

For example, I've never been able to remove the tannin staining from using Fertan rust treatment, so used to go to work on Monday with black stained hands. This takes it straight off, completely and quickly. And if your hands are cut, it doesn't hurt them either.

Very highly recommended, but the only issue is that it's a bit hard to get but it is out there. If you can find it, try it!

Advertisement

Cheers

Stuey
    Beano, Kenfuego, leithant and 1 others like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

100% love that stuff only one shop I ever worked in had it but always have it at home you can get it off eBay one tub will last years

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

I guess you just got him sacked thou

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

Victron at Wetherill park distribute it in Sydney. $38 per pack.

1000+ Posts

Nah, I'm friendly with the boss and he had permission! He kept telling me how good it was so the boss gave him a clean Castrol grease tub full to take home.
    Last edited by Stuey; 15th December 2018 at 08:50 PM.
    dmccurtayne likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

JustinJapan1964 likes this.
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Hi guys,

My son has just started in a marine engine workshop and brought home some of their hand cleaner - what a revelation! This stuff called Reinol is just brilliant. A pleasant smelling slightly abrasive white paste, it removes everything I can throw at it and washes off really easily in water, unlike many hand cleaners which leave a slimy residue or hydrocarbon smell. This washes off leaving your hands like they were never dirty and you'd never used hand cleaner. It's the best I've used for sure.

For example, I've never been able to remove the tannin staining from using Fertan rust treatment, so used to go to work on Monday with black stained hands. This takes it straight off, completely and quickly. And if your hands are cut, it doesn't hurt them either.

Very highly recommended, but the only issue is that it's a bit hard to get but it is out there. If you can find it, try it!

Cheers

Stuey
    That stirs some memories especially with the original FERTAN, can't seem to get that strength of product now. Looks like I need an investment in a large tub of Reinol to keep in the garage.

Any Melbourne suppliers known and pricing?

1000+ Posts

Interesting article:

https://www.wynnssc.com.au/Consumabl...ndCleaner-407/

Not sure about Melbourne, Ken. I think 2 litres goes for about $39. This would last AGES as you use about a 20c piece dollop to wash your hands.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Soft hands and warm hearts.. the ladies dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Interesting article:

https://www.wynnssc.com.au/Consumabl...ndCleaner-407/

Not sure about Melbourne, Ken. I think 2 litres goes for about $39. This would last AGES as you use about a 20c piece dollop to wash your hands.
    That looks to have a Lanolin base to get that soft and silky look.

It was a always a topic for the ladies that shearers have the softest hands and bricklayers the worst! if you listened to the young ladies at the local country dances years back.

Thanks for that information Stuey. Looks good. I used to buy 4 litre tins of the better hand cleaners, so I guess for a product like that it is worth spending the $39.

Might need to get two tins, one for in the house and one strictly for the garage.. Mother will be happy as I won't need to pinch her bottle of swipe cleaner...any more.

Ken

1000+ Posts

There are several brands of pumice hand cleaner, and most are more readily available than Reinol, not only at motor trade places but also at cleaners' suppliers. Solvent-free can be a misnomer when citrus oils are included.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    There are several brands of pumice hand cleaner, and most are more readily available than Reinol, not only at motor trade places but also at cleaners' suppliers. Solvent-free can be a misnomer when citrus oils are included.
    Got a few tubs of those, most not as good as they used to be, yet to get one that is effective on stubborn stains (like on Fertan staining for instance) Maybe they have had their effective chemical ingredients removed.

Ken

1000+ Posts

It's certainly not the pumice that makes Reinol good; that's not even a factor in my rating. Whatever chemicals they use really work, but as I wrote above, the best part is that it then rinses really quickly and cleanly and leaves your hands smooth and totally residue free. All other hand cleaners I've used leave a residue of some sort and usually some sort of smell. I won't be using any other products from now on.
    Last edited by Stuey; 16th December 2018 at 03:02 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Ah the smell. Stuey you will remember "Swarfega" Using this took me back a few years working in the UK. Memories of Ernie from Kenya furiously scrubbing his hands with Swarfega. I told him his hands would never get white! You could say things like that back then.

1000+ Posts

Ha ha ha!

My Dad has a pump pack hand cleaner in his servo workshop called 'Quick Smart'. It worked great, but your hands smelled like turps...may as well have used turps!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Railway Fitters used "Plain soap and a hand full of sand" still great stuff.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

1000+ Posts

I once used sand soap. Our older members will remember the blocks it came as.
    Kenfuego likes this.

You mean it was more coarse than Solvol ?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    You mean it was more coarse than Solvol ?
    Well lets say that the original was a larger block more like a small brick and solvol was the smaller personal soap size marketing exercise.

We used to get the smaller soap bar size solvol (AKA sand soap), issued at 6 bars at a time, unwrapped of course, when I was an apprentice at the Gov. Ordnance Factory Bendigo, they used boxes and boxes. I think half of Bendigo used that issued soap.

1000+ Posts

I went to school in the WA Wheat Belt and we had this tan coloured sand soap in the toilet block. I think it was used so one bar lasted two years, because it was like rubbing your hands with a slightly slippery brick.

Of course, the more inventive bullies used to roughen up their victims' testicles with said brick. You always knew who was being bullied by the just-got-off-a-horse walking gait on the way home from school as a result of a friction modified throbbing scrotum. Fortunately I was never the recipient of the old 80 grit block on my privates.

Edit: Thinking back, maybe it was normal Govt issue soap which had been dropped in the sand...
    Last edited by Stuey; 19th December 2018 at 07:52 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Pearson's made it - it looked like a brick in a pink paper wrapper. Solvol is the soft-skinned wimps' version.

In my teen years the sandsoap clean you mentioned was preceded by a boot blacking. Reserved for the truly objectionable.

It wouldn't happen today.

1000+ Posts

A PS - we used it for greasy hands, but Mother used it to scrub the pine kitchen table and the veranda floor - something else lost in the past. Perhaps the Navy still uses it.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Bucks night black balling or terrors missed..1960's style

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Pearson's made it - it looked like a brick in a pink paper wrapper. Solvol is the soft-skinned wimps' version.

In my teen years the sandsoap clean you mentioned was preceded by a boot blacking. Reserved for the truly objectionable.

It wouldn't happen today.
    In my time, the bootblacking was somewhat rumoured as a traditional bucks night initiation to embarrass the groom as he tried to explain the black balls on his wedding night. Whatever, that didn't happen on my bucks night out, much to my relief, perhaps it was just a threat to hold in the back of the mind,

Worst I got was tipped up and held by my ankles and confetti poured down the trouser legs and as it was 104 degree f hot summer day in December, the confetti stuck to everything and after releasing most of its colouring it then redistributed itself to every nook and cranny in the Morris minor we drove on our honeymoon. (found bits everywhere for years later) and we still have the car parked in the back yard.

Even after restoration there is faded confetti in that car. Oh and I used Fertan to kill rust when restoring the Morrie Minor so it could be driven by my daughter as her first car.

Result of course was a multi coloured spotted me, when I undressed that night and the shower wouldn't shift the dye spots, they had to wear off. I wasn't going to try sand soap......

Ken

[QUOTE=seasink;1595616] Solvol is the soft-skinned wimps' version.

Come on, it's still the best. I always have a cake in the laundry, and carry another in the camper (Just in case I run into a broken down Pug!)

Wimp.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

does anyone know if any of the major places sell this ( eg: total tools/bunnings ).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I get my stash off eBay

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information