adaptive auto on V6 406 coupe
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 adaptive auto on V6 406 coupe

I purchased a V6 406 coupe about a year ago (not new) and it is the best peugeot that I have ever owned (having owned a 504, 505, 405 and now the coupe). In the family my wife has a 306, my daughter a 206 and my son has my older 405SRI. However, the 406 coupe is an adaptive auto and not the manual. Hence the problem - being an adaptive auto it tries to guess my driving style and selects an appropriate shift pattern.

Unless I absolutely floor the pedal when I first drive off, it assumes that I want to drive sedately and it shifts up a gear before 2000 rpm. Very annoying! The dealer tells me that the auto has about 8 different programs but it seems to default to "old and sedate" (I am 56 but like to drive sportily).

I notice that alot of the road tests give the auto the thumbs down for this. The auto in my 405 was more responsive to kick down.

Advertisement

If I use the sports mode it flies but it never shifts into top gear. Does anyone know how to get the electronics on the auto adjusted to get over this problem - there must be a way after all it is all controlled by the computer. The dealer said that he cannot reprogram the auto

When test driving 406 V6s in 1997 before I bought one I also found the auto irritating to drive and so I ordered a manual. I had understand, have heard!, that the sofware can be routinely updated at the time of dealer service. So the dealers response you got may mean that they don't think they can cure your particualr concern which could be true however the behaviour of some auto's has been altered as a result of software changes at service.

Have you tried calling the Peugeot technical expert at the Peugeot Head Office in Sydney, approached the right way they have been quite helpfull in the past.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Icon5

I'm probably out of luck - rang Peugeot in Melbourne and it seems that the early autos are not able to have a software update. I will still take the car into the dealer again for them to check the model number to determine whether that is the case.

Don't know if the software update is impossible or that Peugeot just do not bring out an update for that model. I would be interested if any other owners of of 406 V6 autos (both coupe and/or sedan and wagon) have encountered this same problem and any fixes.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

If this happens only when the car is cold, then it's normal: Once the transmission fluid heats up, which in my case takes about 5mins (+/-), it is fine. I have a 1998 SV and according to the manual, this is a design feature.

evenfire con

Quote Originally Posted by gjj406coupe
    Unless I absolutely floor the pedal when I first drive off, it assumes that I want to drive sedately and it shifts up a gear before 2000 rpm.
    Increase the speed at which you give the car throttle, this is a variable for the adaptive gearbox. It never feels responsive to kickdown IMHO, but if you feed the throttle in slowly, sometimes you can even floor the car a millimetre from the firewall and it won't kick down.

I notice that alot of the road tests give the auto the thumbs down for this. The auto in my 405 was more responsive to kick down.
    That ZF auto was pretty normal - something I noticed in old 306s too. Never underestimate how programming can totally change a car.

If I use the sports mode it flies but it never shifts into top gear.
    Something you can try is disengaging the sports mode once you are cruising - it's not the best solution, but it does encourage the car to go into 4th gear.

Sports mode locks out all of the shifting patterns apart from the top two sportiest shift programmes.

If you want to read more about Peugeot and adaptive transmissions, visit my site. Click on 307 technology and you'll see the section on the AL 4 transmission.

It's not the same gearbox as your car (wouldn't handle the torque), but the adaptive philosophies are the same.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thanks for that information - your site with details on the characteristics of the adaptive auto is the best info that I have seen on this.

I have tried some of your suggestions and they do make a difference to what program the auto selects.

Your 307 site is very comprehensive - be good if someone came up with an equivalent site for the 406, sedan, wagon or coupe
    1998 406 Coupe, 1998 306 XT, 2003 206, 1995 405 SRI

Thanks for that information - your site with details on the characteristics of the adaptive auto is the best info that I have seen on this.

I have tried some of your suggestions and they do make a difference to what program the auto selects.

Your 307 site is very comprehensive - be good if someone came up with an equivalent site for the 406, sedan, wagon or coupe
    Thanks

The trouble is the French marques, especially Peugeot, are very information poor - you really need to try to get information in order to create an information resource like that.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information