205 gti S1 central locking
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CEyssens

Thread: 205 gti S1 central locking

Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 gti S1 central locking

For a while now, my passengers door actuator makes a high pitch motor whine when I unlock my car. The noise isn't there when I lock the car. The drivers side is fine. I had replaced the actuator a while back, which solved the problem for a while, however the noise has come back. I'm not sure if the actuator is receiving power to it for too long, hence the extended motor whine or if the actuator is stuffed. Any ideas?

Also, can anyone explain why there are 2 x actuators on the drivers door? One has 1 x cable and the other has 2 x cables. They are both connected to a rod which is connected to the lock. Thought there would only be the one.

Cheers

Advertisement

Do you have remote central locking, immobiliser or alarm?

Are both the drivers door units the same type? Likely this is an aftermarket unit piggyback on the factory one.

Recently pulled the central locking out of my S3 and there was only one actuator and one rod connected to the lock. Your second one does sound aftermarket.

Yep, I can confirm. I have a S1 and there's only one factory actuator.

The whine you're hearing is probably one of them (or both) straining at the end of travel. That's most likely because it is attached to the rod in the wrong place (it may have slid after you attached it) and that doesn't allow for full movement of the actuator.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the feedback.

My car has an alarm and central locking. I've owned the car for over 13 years and it came like this. Sounds like an after market setup on the drivers side with the 2 actuators. You can see the 2 actuators (one black and one light grey) in the attached pic. The single black actuator in my hand is the after market actuator which whines which is located on the passengers door. 205 gti S1 central locking-imag0118-1200x1600.jpg205 gti S1 central locking-img_20181119_142818-1600x1200.jpg

Schlitzaugen, the two actuators on the drivers side are fine, it's the single actuator on the passengers side that whines. I will check the travel on the actuator and how it's bolted to the frame and see if this is setup up correctly.

What happens with this aftermarket setup is the piggyback unit is driven by the alarm and when in pushes it drives the drivers door lock solenoid up simulating what happens when you unlock by hand or with key.
    The original drivers door unit then powers the passenger door unit to open or close.

Is your passenger unit OEM or aftermarket?

Id disconnect the aftermarket unit and test it in std form without alarm remote and see how it operates. That may help narrow down the fault. Otherwise its multimeter testing time.
    Last edited by CEyssens; 21st November 2018 at 10:22 AM.
    griffo likes this.

On phase 2 cars the control box for the central locking has an input for a remote. That means you can simply connect the remote locking control output from an alarm to the Peugeot central locking control box and away you go without having to resort to this sort of crude piggy-back arrangement.

I don't know whether phase 1 cars also have such an input, but it might be worth looking.

Fellow Frogger!

CEyssens - The passengers actuator is aftermarket. I will disconnect the alarm actuator to the drivers door and see if the passengers actuator still whines. This should prove if the problem is to do with the alarm actuator or the passengers actuator.

Richard W - I agree, it looks like a crude setup. Will have a look to see if there is an input.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure the early unit's without remote central locking have a simple circuit system using the drivers door unit as a position switch (no motor) which drives the other two locked or unlocked depending on the position of the drivers door lock.

The aftermarket alarm needs an active solenoid so they just bang it on top and it naturally runs the factory circuits through moving the lock (yes crude, but cost likely fits the alarm install value).

I'm sure it could be converted to the newer version with some fun wiring alterations, a central locking control module and a newer drivers door central locking solenoid.

Fellow Frogger!

That sum's it up pretty well. When i get home next week I will disconnect the alarm actuator and see how the passengers actuator operates. I'd say the motor is bust, hence the whine noise, but i need to find out why it's occurring. Possibly incorrectly mounted or input voltage is on for too long.

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Was just thinking... if i disconnect the aftermarket solenoid on the drivers door and connect those wires to the genuine solenoid, this should mimic what position the lock is in. Can't see why there needs to be a second solenoid if there is already one operating?

1000+ Posts

The other ting might be that the locking or unlocking signal from the aftermarket unit is not doing what it ought to, so the unit is being driven while making no signal to say STOP?

Not sure, my S1 is working fine with no other bits so could measure if its a simple open or close that goes to pass door. Been far too long to remember if the pass door even 1 has a lock or 2 actuates central locking, I seem to think no on both.

Your suggestion is a perfect one, do that and let us know?
    Last edited by Matthew; 26th November 2018 at 06:55 AM.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Matt, will check it out this week. Got to do a bit of testing and trial some ideas and let you know.

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

The second actuator on the drivers door is after market which is installed for the alarm. This is piggy backed off the factory central locking system which sends info (open/closed) back to the alarm head unit. The original actuator then sends power to the passenger actuator to ooen/close.

The whining noise from the passengers actuator was a tired actuator. Replaced passengers and boot actuator... Hey presto!

Thread Information