• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 4cvg
  • 1 Post By Armidillo

Thread: Wheel corrosion

1000+ Posts

Default Wheel corrosion

Bought a set of 16" alloy rims from a wreckers - most look OK on the outside,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheels-3002.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	110738

but all have varying amounts of peeled paint and corrosion on the inside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wheels-2996.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	110739

No doubt I should get them sand-blasted and re-sprayed - but only the tyre shop & I would ever know!

Given that these are for a 'daily driver', and that I live in a non-corrosive environment, if I do nothing is the corrosion likely to significantly weaken the rims, and if so how quickly?

Cheers

Alec

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I remember seeing a finite element stress analysis of a wheel some time ago. The highest stresses were around the inner rim on the ground, and with constant stress reversals, so was the maximum fatigue at that spot. I would think PSA have done the analysis, so is the damage shown from simple stressing or from stressing at corrosion or at a casting defect? I note it's over a spoke.

1000+ Posts

Umm - that photo is not truly representative. On 4 out of 5 wheels (and the exception was almost certainly the spare) there is an elongated affected strip that stretches between at least 2 spokes. It doesn't seem to be concentrated next to the spokes. It is true that in all cases, it seems to have started from the inner edge.

My theory is that because the car had not moved for quite a long time at the wreckers, the lowest part of each wheel stayed damp for extended periods, causing the corrosion (and peeling paint) to occur on one side only. But will the corrosion remain superficial?

Would it be worthwhile giving them a good scrub with a wire brush, and treating with corrosion inhibitor?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post

<snip>

Would it be worthwhile giving them a good scrub with a wire brush, and treating with corrosion inhibitor?
    Why not?
    jaahn and Kenfuego like this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Umm - that photo is not truly representative. On 4 out of 5 wheels (and the exception was almost certainly the spare) there is an elongated affected strip that stretches between at least 2 spokes. It doesn't seem to be concentrated next to the spokes. It is true that in all cases, it seems to have started from the inner edge.

My theory is that because the car had not moved for quite a long time at the wreckers, the lowest part of each wheel stayed damp for extended periods, causing the corrosion (and peeling paint) to occur on one side only. But will the corrosion remain superficial?

Absolutely the correct treatment and then finish off with a nice painted finish that should protect from further deterioration in service, if you have any concerns after wire brushing and using inhibitor, take the wheel (demount the tyre of course) to you local wheel place that corrects dents and impact runouts. They will soon tell you if there is any concern with strength or durability.

Ken

1000+ Posts

Thanks Ken - am planning on taking them into local tyre service to get the dreadful chinese tyres taken off before I start work. But first I have to deal with flat tyre on the box trailer .

Cheers

Alec
    Kenfuego likes this.

Thread Information