Gti6: Spark plugs
  • Register
  • Help

Icon4 Gti6: Spark plugs

I just got my car serviced (60 K service) and when my mechanic pulled out the original plugs, they were a 3 prong type made by Eyquem (I think that's how it's spelt??). The new plugs however were a Bosch single prong type. Even he was surprised so he rang up the Pug dealership where he got the new plugs from to confirm they were the correct plugs, and was told that these single prong type is what Peugeot is using these days for the gti6.

As far as he knew, and I'd thought the same, the 3 prong (or multi-prong) types were actually better for performance, so it seemed like it was a backwards step going to a single prong and weren't sure why Peugeot decided on this. Whether it was just due to a change in supplier or if the single prong was somehow better??

Anyway, on initial driving it didn't seem any different though I haven't taken it down my favourite piece of road yet, so will confirm this weekend. The other problem which makes quantifying any difference in performance due to the spark plugs, is that the middle muffler, the one near the cat convertor, is on its way out from the sound of it when tapped, and therefore would probably influence a decrease in performance so much more.

Which brings me to my next question, anyone had any experience with replacing these? As in, aftermarket vs oem both in price/noise/performance. I don't want something that'd make the car significantly louder.

Advertisement
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Hey mate

Sorry to hear about the car going funny with the noise n' that. But as for mufflers I thought remus make good replacement one's. Could be wrong, then again you could rice up your pug with a 3 inch pipe leading to a big fat muffler with a 7 inch tip.

Bbbbbwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Fully sick they call it out my way! :smile:
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    Hey mate

Sorry to hear about the car going funny with the noise n' that. But as for mufflers I thought remus make good replacement one's. Could be wrong, then again you could rice up your pug with a 3 inch pipe leading to a big fat muffler with a 7 inch tip.

Bbbbbwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Fully sick they call it out my way! :smile:
    Huh what 'noise n' that'??

I know Remus make rear mufflers, dunno about the centre ones..though they probably do that too. However, I want to know if anyone here has any particular experience with an other-than-oem centre muffler.

Nah Jim, I'll leave the ricing-up to you and your civic.

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

regarding the plugs...

i havent seen the shape of the combustion chamber of the GTi6 or XsaraVTS but i know it is no hemi-spherical. I think they call our shape the charge-shaped chamber.

sorry if that went over the head but single prong plugs are not bad for the case of the GTi6. Mark the plug with a texta on the side that the prong comes from. when inserting the plug, make sure this texta line is away from the desired direction of flame front propogation.

actually i have no idea what im crapping on about... someone else can explain. perhaps one of those racing nuts know better.

Q.

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    regarding the plugs...

i havent seen the shape of the combustion chamber of the GTi6 or XsaraVTS but i know it is no hemi-spherical. I think they call our shape the charge-shaped chamber.

sorry if that went over the head but single prong plugs are not bad for the case of the GTi6. Mark the plug with a texta on the side that the prong comes from. when inserting the plug, make sure this texta line is away from the desired direction of flame front propogation.

actually i have no idea what im crapping on about... someone else can explain. perhaps one of those racing nuts know better.

Q.
    Quentin....?!?!? I may be wrong but aren't the plugs screwed in anyways? Which means, how can their direction be adjusted?

Anyway, I just realised I was wrong when I said the new plugs were Bosch ones. I got confused cos the shop had a Bosch poster on the wall! The new plugs actually only had Peugeot written on them. Now that doesn't help at all.

I was checking the different plug websites, and NGK recommends the Iridium-BKR6EIX. Bosch recommends the Performance Super 4-FR78-4pk. Both are the 'high performance' versions.

Has anyone any experience with those particular type of plugs?

- 306 gti6

SPARK PLUGS!!!!!!!

In respose to your plug delemer. it is obviously fine to run the single electrode plug. the only difference is that the spark which is produced on a single electrode plug is smaller and requires alot more ironizing voltage to supply the spark. three electrode plugs have a larger and more broarder spark range and require less effort (ironizing voltage) to spark. the difference on a road car is so minimal that you wouldnt not notice it!!!!!!!
    For the price difference just keep the single electrode plugs

NGK BCPR7ET- Try them. Awesome plug
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Really it's all just a marketing ploy. Providing your spark plugs work OK there will be no noticeable difference; some of them do last longer (eg platinum plugs) which can be a bonus for FWD V6 engines where half the engine needs to be disassembled to change one bank of plugs!

You can change the direction of the electrode in the combustion chamber by using things called "indexing rings" to space the thread up a bit and thus change the angle the plug sits at when tightened.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

Quote Originally Posted by MondeoST24
    Really it's all just a marketing ploy. Providing your spark plugs work OK there will be no noticeable difference; some of them do last longer (eg platinum plugs) which can be a bonus for FWD V6 engines where half the engine needs to be disassembled to change one bank of plugs!

You can change the direction of the electrode in the combustion chamber by using things called "indexing rings" to space the thread up a bit and thus change the angle the plug sits at when tightened.
    Ahh indexing the plugs. Some of the race guys do that kinda stuff, but I never thought it made much of a difference. Has anyone gone to the trouble of doing that and noticed the difference??

Well I went for a decent drive on the weekend and I didn't really notice any difference between the old plugs and new. So I guess you guys were right, cheers. I did find out however that the pug plugs are bloody expensive, as I called up supercheap auto and they were selling a 4 pk of bosch super 4 performance plugs for the gti6 for $30, whereas the pug dealership charged $70 for their plugs!

I got a couple more questions regarding mufflers but I might post that in a separate thread.

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Well I went for a decent drive on the weekend and I didn't really notice any difference between the old plugs and new. So I guess you guys were right, cheers. I did find out however that the pug plugs are bloody expensive, as I called up supercheap auto and they were selling a 4 pk of bosch super 4 performance plugs for the gti6 for $30, whereas the pug dealership charged $70 for their plugs!
    Where did you go for the drive? Did you find any good new roads or did you cover some of the ones that we have been on previously.

As for the plugs - Ouch! I suppose it's what you pay for getting OEM stuff.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Guys

I am a bit confused about this whole 3 or 4 prong plugs issue. How are they supposed to be better than standard plugs? My understanding of static electricity and theory is that in most cases potenial difference is overcome by the path of least resistance and more cases or not it is a single path. Therefore the spark will strike one place instead of many simultaneously. Maybe I am wrong about this, if someone has a different theory about their advantages I would like to hear it.

Cheers
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Where did you go for the drive? Did you find any good new roads or did you cover some of the ones that we have been on previously.

As for the plugs - Ouch! I suppose it's what you pay for getting OEM stuff.
    Michael,

heheh you are definitely a revhead at heart!
    Nah just went over my favourite piece of road which is the mt lofty rd one. It'd only my favourite cos I know it very well by now. I had a Fireblade bike actually pull right over to the left to let me thru on that run! Unbelievable. I think he only did that cos a) it was a little damp, and b) he was very considerate!!! How good is that, I've never had a sportsbike pull over to let me thru. That's the only piece of road I could probably keep up with one though. I still remember, the 2nd week after I got my car and thought it was quite a beast, I was going nicely around eagle on the hill pass, and some blue bike went past me on one of the straights like I was standing still. Ahh I digress.

Anyway, yeah I couldn't get over the price diff myself, they charge like a wounded bull!

Jim,

Yeah even though they're 4-prong or 3-prong plugs, they still produce 1 spark. The spark just chooses the path of least resistancem but it has 4 times the choice. That's the theory anyway.

- 306 gti6

Thread Information