Nyloc Nuts size
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By bluey504
  • 3 Post By PeterT
  • 2 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By PeterT

Thread: Nyloc Nuts size

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    53

    Default Nyloc Nuts size

    Can someone tell me please the thread dimensions of the six front suspension strut tower nuts on the peugeot 205 , year 1995 series 2. Cant find any info at all !. It looks like metric fine but its not a standard size ???.

    Thanks

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    601

    Default

    M7 x 1

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts bluey504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandenong Vic
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Another non-standard thread size. M7 is a Peugeot special for strut tops, the 504 uses a M7 bolt.
    Just because it exists doesn't mean you should use it.
    Brendan (Currently without facial hair!)
    PS Supporting the Movember campaign.
    Kenfuego likes this.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts schlitzaugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    loneliness capital of the world
    Posts
    8,319

    Default

    Yeah, the frenchies really like M7. Really can't understand why, but the sump is also held by hex head M7 bolts, which are a pain to do/undo with a socket and if you want socket heads (Allen) they are only available from the US of all places. M7 is also present all over the top of the engine in places like the thermostat housing, the dizzy/senders' housing and so on. What's wrong with M6?!
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

    Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,047

    Default

    In some parts of the world where "Metric" abounds, engineers have had free reign to chose whatever size they like. Obviously 6 mm is too small and cannot sustain the same torque or it would have been used. Not rocket science really.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Thanks for the replies, yep i agree its a bit of an odd ball , still i suppose they had their reasons for it . Now i can get to order up some new ones .

    Thanks again.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,313

    Default

    Mostly Aussie ignorance. My father in law's 1923 5CV has many M7x1 bolts.
    Kim Luck, geckoeng and JohnW like this.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  8. #8
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    3,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Mostly Aussie ignorance. My father in law's 1923 5CV has many M7x1 bolts.
    I agree, because M7 was so hard to get here many years ago I kept every nut and bolt out of all the French cars that I wrecked.
    Kim Luck and Kenfuego like this.
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts schlitzaugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    loneliness capital of the world
    Posts
    8,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    In some parts of the world where "Metric" abounds, engineers have had free reign to chose whatever size they like. Obviously 6 mm is too small and cannot sustain the same torque or it would have been used. Not rocket science really.......

    Don't think so. There is absolutely no reason to use M7 bolts on a water pump or timing cover (Renault is guilty of both in 807 and the former on 810 series engines), or the dizzy housing (Peugeot), or the sump (both Renault in 807 engines and Peugeot in 205GTI). There is absolutely no force on those bolts, they just keep an aluminium housing from falling off. And so on.

    My opinion is they just wanted to use a size that wasn't that common so they could get some coin from selling fasteners as well.

    Honda (and possibly other manufacturers) use undersized heads. A M8 bolt needs a 13mm spanner in everything apart from a Honda. They use 12mm heads. Maybe it's just the Japanese industry trying to save on iron ore imports. Or maybe they saved one poofteenth of a cent on each bolt, who knows?

    Meh. It's just annoying.

    In fact the argument that you need the superior holding power is just daft for the strut tops on 205GTI. I managed to pull one of the studs off by just doing it up tight with no effort the stamped metal of the hat is so flimsy. A M6 would have done the job summa cum laudae.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 2nd November 2018 at 03:44 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

    Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,313

    Default

    So they planned that way back in 1923? I don't think so. You just live in a very small world.
    jaahn and geckoeng like this.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Don't think so. There is absolutely no reason to use M7 bolts on a water pump or timing cover (Renault is guilty of both in 807 and the former on 810 series engines), or the dizzy housing (Peugeot), or the sump (both Renault in 807 engines and Peugeot in 205GTI). There is absolutely no force on those bolts, they just keep an aluminium housing from falling off. And so on.
    My opinion is they just wanted to use a size that wasn't that common so they could get some coin from selling fasteners as well.

    Honda (and possibly other manufacturers) use undersized heads. A M8 bolt needs a 13mm spanner in everything apart from a Honda. They use 12mm heads. Maybe it's just the Japanese industry trying to save on iron ore imports. Or maybe they saved one poofteenth of a cent on each bolt, who knows?

    Meh. It's just annoying.
    In fact the argument that you need the superior holding power is just daft for the strut tops on 205GTI. I managed to pull one of the studs off by just doing it up tight with no effort the stamped metal of the hat is so flimsy. A M6 would have done the job summa cum laudae.
    Hi
    All Jap manufacturers standardised on head sizes before I was working on cars. They use 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 for almost every thing. Not many specials either, less now than before and less fine metric too.

    They just work in a different world to French and German cars. I am not sure about the Japanese cars made in USA which possibly might have inch heads in the Trump era

    Do Landrovers still have WW heads ?
    Jaahn

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,047

    Default

    There are standards for metric fasteners; if yours aren't the same as these they are not ISO.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •