• 1 Post By Kenfuego
  • 1 Post By dimistyle
  • 1 Post By Exfrogger
  • 2 Post By bob
  • 4 Post By Dano
  • 1 Post By COL

Thread: Dodgy Electrical Connectors.

Default Dodgy Electrical Connectors.

Is it my imagination or are these El Cheapo female spade terminals total rubbish?

Advertisement

Faced with innumerable broken wires etc, I bought a heap online in anticipation of renewing as I go.

But they appear to be a one way trip; if I have to remove them for whatever reason when I put them back, they seem to fall off if the wind changes!
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

COL

Quote Originally Posted by geodon View Post
    Is it my imagination or are these El Cheapo female spade terminals total rubbish?

Faced with innumerable broken wires etc, I bought a heap online in anticipation of renewing as I go.

But they appear to be a one way trip; if I have to remove them for whatever reason when I put them back, they seem to fall off if the wind changes!
    Can you show some pics of what you have, is it the wire that is fall out or is it the connector itself connector itself not staying put.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

I have always bought Narva terminals, have used boxes of them over the years without any problems - must admit I haven't bought any in recent years and I have used the insulated crush type and also Narva soldered terminals and they work well too.

Ken
    Dano likes this.

I think if you buy the insulated crush type and the cheap as blue handled crimp tool they are a hopeless setup without trial and error of how much wire to strip and where and how much to crush depending on wire gauge.
    If you are doing a lot buy a decent ratchet crimper and proper terminals with slide on soft or hard protection. Usually from auto sparkies.
    Or trial and error as they are cheap😅

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    driven likes this.

1000+ Posts

Don't get me started...
    JohnW likes this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I have always bought Narva terminals, have used boxes of them over the years without any problems - must admit I haven't bought any in recent years and I have used the insulated crush type and also Narva soldered terminals and they work well too.

Ken
    Utilux on the old boxes here....

Cars have far too many "connectors", purely for the convenience of the assembly line. You will be far better off to replace "broken" wires with a solid soldered connection. If the maintenance problems are that great that you really need to be able to regularly remove a connection, think old time and go for proper screwed connections. A tiny 4mm nut and bolt and star washer assembly is going to give you a lot a lot less grief than a high resistance spade connector hidden inside a plastic block, the usual failure point of plug in relays.

A program of connector abolition is the way to go, get rid of all those assembly convenience devices. If it's a Fuego start with the one on the panel behind the motor, that's the one that gets hot enough to start fires, probably the inspiration for the model name....

cheers,
    Bob
    Kenfuego and JohnW like this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    All the ratchet crimp tools are not made equal either. I have used expensive ones at my previous job. I purchased a Jaycar one some years ago and it was a poor crimper and I should have returned it probably. But I 'adjusted' it a bit to get it to reliably crimp the insulated terminals.
    Jaahn

Need to use best possible terminals for all mission critical connections..

I crimped and soldered my terminals. Followed by applying shrink wrap. Time consuming yes, but in my humble opinion, a much better joint and finish.

Buy quality terminals and crimping tool....

Last edited by Dano; 24th October 2018 at 10:14 PM.
    dimistyle, COL, geckoeng and 1 others like this.

Dodgy Electrical Connectors.-img_2321.jpgDodgy Electrical Connectors.-img_2322.jpgDodgy Electrical Connectors.-img_2323.jpgDodgy Electrical Connectors.-img_2325.jpgDodgy Electrical Connectors.-img_2326.jpgDodgy Electrical Connectors.-img_2327.jpg

The problem is the metal the terminals are made of is not "springy"

I've shown some connections made on the 404 ute. They go on firmly the 1st time but if you have to disconnect & reconnect- as you often do on the ign. sw- they wont stay on; they just fall off.

OTOH when I tried a Narva terminal (4th photo), it went on & off several times with no loss of "stickiness". I now have to throw out about 50 spade terminals that are worse than useless because I have to re-do the work I've done.

The crimping etc is not an issue. I discovered decades ago good wire stripping & crimping pliers save me money on dental bills.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

COL

Quote Originally Posted by geodon View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2321.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	110273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2322.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	110274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	110275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	110276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2326.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	110277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	110278

The problem is the metal the terminals are made of is not "springy"

I've shown some connections made on the 404 ute. They go on firmly the 1st time but if you have to disconnect & reconnect- as you often do on the ign. sw- they wont stay on; they just fall off.

OTOH when I tried a Narva terminal (4th photo), it went on & off several times with no loss of "stickiness". I now have to throw out about 50 spade terminals that are worse than useless because I have to re-do the work I've done.

The crimping etc is not an issue. I discovered decades ago good wire stripping & crimping pliers save me money on dental bills.
    I have found that cheap connectors will not retain their shape and loose connectivity. You can overcome this to some degree by compressing the female crimp carefully with a pair of pliers.

Just a tip when doing your crimping, make sure that you use the correct crimp for the gauge of wire that you are using. That way you will get maximum clamping pressure on the wire.
    Dano likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thread Information