Goodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Goodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!

Default Goodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!

I know these aren't fresh on the market but they are fairly new technology.
    I was preparing to go out in the bush for a while, with a car fridge in the back, and thought I would upgrade my old jumper leads to a set with current protection, in case of a flat battery.
    But I had been looking at one of these "jump starters" for a while, which have the advantage that you don't have to wait for someone to come along with a good battery to jump from. Most of these things have been effective but near as big as a normal battery to carry around (albeit a lot cleaner).

These new ones with lithium-polymer batteries seem fantastic. The one I have bought is promoted as a local product, but like everything is manufactured in China.

It has a 20 Amp Hour capacity, and could start my 6 cyl probably half a dozen times, and fits in a zip case under my passenger seat! Plus it has connectors for 12v cigarette lighter plugs (10 amps, up to 15 amps with an optional lead running off the main engine starting sockets), can charge USB products, even has a built-in LED lamp with settings including flashing "S.O.S". Initial charge took 4 hours from a 240v socket at home. They claim it will hold charge for 6 months, and recommend recharging it every 3 - 6 months, so it is charged when you may need it. It would run my WAECO 40ltr car fridge independently for at least 12 hours.

Advertisement

Also can be used to start someone else's car, without risking your own battery and electrical system.

OK, its fairly pricey at around $250, but I see it as a great option for carrying emergency equipment in remote locations.

Goodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-itech900a_01_red.jpgGoodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-itech900a_02_red.jpg

Cheers.
    jaahn, Graelin and Kenfuego like this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I’m a big fan too. Bought mine off eBay. Previously used a very heavy large supercheap one, now I carry one similar in the boot of my R8 and intend to buy another for my daily.
    Fordman likes this.
    KB

I keep thinking I should get one for the R8 too. I had to use the crank handle back in the 1990s I'm sure.....

Seriously, exactly which model have you bought KB? We had a Scenic battery die on holiday a couple of years ago and without a local Citroen and its jumper leads it would have been an issue.... Did I tell you we have three Scenics in the family now? All manual, Series II cars and wonderful.

And thanks for Fordman for reminding me I should do this!

Cheers

Cheers
    Fordman likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable...EAAOSw4shX4lsV

I used my crank handle too within the last 4 years - but just for the amusement of my sister in laws family!
    Kenfuego, JohnW and Fordman like this.
    KB

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

they won't start diesels .... I've heard of them exploding too .... I'll take a get heavy set of jumper leads myself

seeya
    Shane L.
    Fordman likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

I have the same one as Fordman. Show them your Seniors Card and get a good discount. I use it for powering my CPAP and it goes nearly two nights and recharges from either the car while driving or the caravan battery when camping which is charged via solar panel. I have just completed 22,300 kilometers in 24 weeks towing the caravan and this did all we needed. I have another version of this from another supplier and that is my back up in case car battery is dead in the morning. I also have heavy duty late model jumper leads.

I like the Itech kit best
    Fordman and Kenfuego like this.

COL

We have a CTek jump starter at work, seems to work well.

Had to use it a few times when the drivers door on the work ute is not shut properly and that little red door light in the dash drains the battery over the weekend

Can even jump start from a completely flat battery, just need to push the boost button. Charges up off a USB charger

Knowing the price of CTek it will be more than a few hundred dollars, the boss seems to like their products and they seem to be pretty reliable.
    Kenfuego and Fordman like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    they won't start diesels .... I've heard of them exploding too .... I'll take a get heavy set of jumper leads myself
    seeya Shane L.
    Yes they will start diesels. On another forum they tested one to start 3ltr diesels. Several times in a row. Then they put a dead flat battery in and started it like that too ???
    Not sure about the exploding though. But I used to go to a country parts dealer who had heaps on the counter and had sold hundreds to farmers who used them on their machinery, diesels, which always had stuffed batteries. This was several years back too. I believe they do not like freezing weather.
    Jaahn

COL

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Yes they will start diesels. On another forum they tested one to start 3ltr diesels. Several times in a row. Then they put a dead flat battery in and started it like that too ???
    Not sure about the exploding though. But I used to go to a country parts dealer who had heaps on the counter and had sold hundreds to farmers who used them on their machinery, diesels, which always had stuffed batteries. This was several years back too. I believe they do not like freezing weather.
    Jaahn
    The CTek starts the Toyota 3 litre diesels at work, never tried in sub zero conditions as the jump starter lives in the office and the utes are parked in the workshop.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Jaahn
    Oh you guys are talking genuine CTek. My father purchased one of the jump starters.. ( it would not have been an expensive Ctek brand though). It didn't even come close to starting his deiesel territory with a discharged battery. I'm pretty sure he discarded it after he talked to someone that had one blow up when he was using it (I doubt the one that blew up was a Ctek either ). You are really fortunate that you tend to use these jump packs single handedly. So if it blows up your sitting in the car next to the igntion ................. not standing beside the battery under the bonnet

In a carvan park last year there was a twin cab ute ( diesel ) that had a battery die overnight. I hadn't bothered to take my jumperleads with me ( as everyone carries jumperleads) .... What a mistake. Yes quite a few poeple had jumperleads.... We tried 3 sets .... some had very fanciful ratings on them. None would come close to cranking the little diesel motor in that twin cab.

I ended up stringing all the jumperleads I could gather together ( I think it was 3 sets ... so six leads between the POS range rover battery and his) to get enough grunt to travel down those leads to start the deisel.

I think people WAY underestimate the power you need to jump even the smallest diesel engine. These are the ones I have.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2000AMP-...3ezF:rk:1:pf:0

I went by the diameter of the conductor .... and they had to be long enough so I could park behind a parked car and still jump start it.
    jaahn and Fordman like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    It has a 20 Amp Hour capacity,
    It would run my WAECO 40ltr car fridge independently for at least 12 hours.

Also can be used to start someone else's car, without risking your own battery and electrical system.

OK, its fairly pricey at around $250, but I see it as a great option for carrying emergency equipment in remote locations.
    I agree these new jump starters and lithium batteries are pretty good. I keep meaning to replace the SLA batteries in my large jump pack with Lithiums to make it a lot lighter.
    I'm not sure you're going to get 12 hours out of your fridge with it though. A quick look at Waeco lists 7A current draw on 12V DC. Your 20Ah battery might run that for 2-3hrs if you're lucky.
    Unless I'm missing something like cycle times, but there's nothing mentioned about that on their website.
    jaahn and Fordman like this.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

COL

Oh you guys are talking genuine CTek. My father purchased one of the jump starters.. ( it would not have been an expensive Ctek brand though). It didn't even come close to starting his deiesel territory with a discharged battery. I'm pretty sure he discarded it after he talked to someone that had one blow up when he was using it (I doubt the one that blew up was a Ctek either ). You are really fortunate that you tend to use these jump packs single handedly. So if it blows up your sitting in the car next to the igntion ................. not standing beside the battery under the bonnet

In a carvan park last year there was a twin cab ute ( diesel ) that had a battery die overnight. I hadn't bothered to take my jumperleads with me ( as everyone carries jumperleads) .... What a mistake. Yes quite a few poeple had jumperleads.... We tried 3 sets .... some had very fanciful ratings on them. None would come close to cranking the little diesel motor in that twin cab.

I ended up stringing all the jumperleads I could gather together ( I think it was 3 sets ... so six leads between the POS range rover battery and his) to get enough grunt to travel down those leads to start the deisel.

I think people WAY underestimate the power you need to jump even the smallest diesel engine. These are the ones I have.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2000AMP-...3ezF:rk:1:pf:0

I went by the diameter of the conductor .... and they had to be long enough so I could park behind a parked car and still jump start it.
    While we are talking jumper leads. I have a home made set, they are made up of 70mm Sq welding cable and 400 Amp clamps. They are about 5 metres long. Not sure what the current rating would be but they have never failed to jump start anything that I have connected to them.

You will find the weakest point in most jumper leads is the clamps, they will either have weak springs or/and the connections to the cable will be very sub-standard.
    Fordman and jaahn like this.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Good Thread Fordman!

Timely thread, my two previous old technology jump starting/compressor units have long since gone to the grave of bits and pieces and I have been looking at a suitable replacement.

The small size of the one purchased by Fordman has concerned me as to whether they would suit my requirements, so I will watch and wait for updates in due course Chris as to service reliability (and no big bangs!!) though there does seem to be lots of satisfied customers.

Will watch for other reports of froggers who have forked out dollars for their equipment. the Ctek might be the go for us.

Regards
    Ken
    Fordman likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Timely thread, my two previous old technology jump starting/compressor units have long since gone to the grave of bits and pieces and I have been looking at a suitable replacement.
    For a compressor, I can recommend these ones. https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pro...ompressor.html
    I've got both the single and twin cylinder versions. For the price it's hard to beat, you'll see ones that look the same for at least double the price. I disassembled mine and checked the wiring, it wasn't great but nothing a soldering iron and some care didn't fix.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Ctek, Ctek, Ctek ............. I can't even find a jump starter on their website, only chargers. Anyone clue me up on these?

I am hoping that the hype around the Itech 900 is backed up by actual experience. Meaning that I expect better performance from it than a $50 Ebay job, though they may be quite suitable for the old 4 cyl cars. Itech claim the 900A will start a diesel up to 5 litres, I have a 4.0 litre petrol and am happy that it will be good in an emergency (which is when you need the reliability of course).

Shane, interesting that I had similar experience to yours 2 weeks ago, and that is exactly what led me to buy the Itech. Lady down the street comes up about 9am, can I help her with their Pajero (Diesel), battery flattened by kids leaving interior light on overnight. She has jumper leads. I grab fully charged battery out of my (disconnected in storage) WRX, take it down to her place on a handcart. Connect up her leads (the usual cheap, pressed metal clamps) - makes no difference - solenoid just clicks. Next door neighbour offers his jumper leads - still no go. I noted my battery had same terminals as Pajero, bolt my battery in, and whammo - perfect start, so my battery was good. As her kids were still sitting in the car ready to go somewhere, I told her her to head off, I'll charge her battery up in the shed with my decent charger. So I concluded the jumper leads just weren't capable of the load.

With a country trip coming up, I thought I'd better get some decent jumper leads, and they were getting up to around $80, and I thought again about the jump starters. Main advantage is that you actually have the spare battery with you, it is very compact and fits under the passenger seat (so I'm all right, Jack!), and has other uses, ie, car fridge.

I am aware of the possible danger of Li-Po batteries from RC car racing, where the rules make you put them in a special bag when charging, in case they blow out, and it does happen when the batteries are not treated correctly, seems the worst is to leave them in a hot car (oops - might not leave Itech in car during mid summer!).

For an old fart, I am happy to try some new technology - got to move with the times mate!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fordman; 16th October 2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: add (Diesel)
    Kenfuego likes this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Default Jump starting ?? Hmmm !!

Hi
    Well you are correct DoubleChevron and FORDMAN about the quality of jumpstarter leads. Most of the ones people have given me to start a car with have been CRAP and will not work. Some look good but they have no copper in the leads or the clamps are poorly crimped on or both.
    I too have a set I made up many years ago from some welding leads, long too and have never failed, same as COL'S. I fitted them with a 'spike protector' years ago also. They are heavy and bulky and ugly but WORK.

Some years back I made up a pair of Lithium batteries in a battery box with some external terminals. It can be rewired inside for 24V also. But is usually 12V now and with a couple of used jumpstarter stub leads and clamps is a bulky super jumpstarter. It is not so heavy but has started quite a few campers etc in the bush., kids friends cars etc.Goodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-20181016_132123.jpgGoodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-20181016_134827.jpg Never had to use it on mine but I drive autos so it is insurance. Previous camper was a 4.6 lt diesel 24V truck.

I have pondered the new small ones but I am too tight to spend the money while I have one which works now. I also use the unit as a portable power source and have fitted a socket for that. But it has two 40Ahr batteries so it does last for a bit. The lithium batteries do not go off if they are not charged either. You just charge them when you want. I just use the ordinary 12V car or solar to charge them.
    Jaahn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-20181016_132340.jpg  
    Last edited by jaahn; 16th October 2018 at 02:05 PM.
    Fordman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    I'm not sure you're going to get 12 hours out of your fridge with it though. A quick look at Waeco lists 7A current draw on 12V DC. Your 20Ah battery might run that for 2-3hrs if you're lucky.
    Unless I'm missing something like cycle times, but there's nothing mentioned about that on their website.
    I bought the WAECO CF-40 only a few weeks ago on a good special, I think they are being supeseded by the new, more efficient CFX range. Reviews were mixed, and I know they are not in the Engel class, but horses for courses, at $499.
    However, my first experience with it has exceeded my expectations. Firstly it gets down to 3° within an hour on initial startup, and holds that temp for a long time. We were in the bush for a week, carrying it into accommodation at nights to keep it on temp with 240v.
    In the Territory, the power source only works on "accessories or ignition" so no chance of flattening car battery, but also no power to fridge so I was being watchful. But I noticed it was hardly ever indicating that the compressor was running, and I put it down to the fact this was a bundle purchase with a very effective insulated cover which zips up around the whole fridge.
    Anyway, at one stage we left it parked for 1.5 hours while we walked over Wave Rock at Hyden, ambient sunny and 22-24°. Got back to car and noted fridge in sun through tailgate glass and realised I had forgotten about it sitting there. Turned on Accessories, fridge indicating 4°, and did not even power up on the thermostat! I was gobsmacked. As I said, it is exceeding my expectations.

The last night of our trip, I decided to just carry into the motel the critical cold stuff, ie, milk, butter, cheese, and left the fridge in the car without power overnight. OK, it wasn't a summer night, was about 14 min, but with fridge unpowered for 11 hours, it has risen to 7° when I restarted the car. Not bad at all.

Yes, it draws 6 amps when on power, but the cycle is very good. Yesterday I mentioned this in the Anaconda shop where I bought it, and the young bloke there said they claim it to use 1.3 amp/hours on average, and I now believe that, as it would equate to approx 15 mins power each hour, in fact I think that is conservative. Again, I think the insulated cover is the secret. I'm very happy with its performance.

Fingers crossed for long term reliability. And I will test the Itech on it when the time is right, but I think it will do the 10-12 hours ok (after initial cool down).

Cheers.

Some pics of the Waeco CF-40, with and without insulated cover.

Goodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-img_20180913_200558774_red.jpgGoodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-img_20180913_200710216_red.jpgGoodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-img_20180913_202145647_red.jpgGoodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-img_20180913_202923346_red.jpg
    Last edited by Fordman; 17th October 2018 at 12:00 AM.
    speaksgeek and Kenfuego like this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Ctek, Ctek, Ctek ............. I can't even find a jump starter on their website, only chargers. Anyone clue me up on these?
    Sorry fellas I have led you astray its a Noco Genius, can't remember the model number but will check when I go back to work. Got confused because all our other devices that are similar are CTek
    Kenfuego and Fordman like this.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

they won't start diesels ....
    on the contrary, they can start a diesel just fine - usually up to 5 litre ones.

These devices are very impressive.

I’ve got a Supercheap one “Calibre” brand which works brilliantly, but I’m not impressed with its ability to stay charged for long periods.
    Fordman likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    on the contrary, they can start a diesel just fine - usually up to 5 litre ones.
    These devices are very impressive.
    I’ve got a Supercheap one “Calibre” brand which works brilliantly, but I’m not impressed with its ability to stay charged for long periods.
    Mind letting on which model yours is?

When I looked around a couple of weeks ago, Supercheap only had the bulky jump starters - now there is a big range including Col's Noco Genius (which also look a good bit of kit). I must have been doing a bad search on their website? Good range of mini jump starters.

The factor separating them is their capacity to deliver high amps for a time period, and how much capacity they retain. I understand amp/hours and the Itech is quite big at 20ah, half the capacity of a normal small car battery. I know that Lithium Polymer batteries can flow a very heavy current quickly, given decent cables. Careful research of technical data soon weeds out the lower capacity units (which may be entirely suitable to start a small 4 cyl engine - I am not knocking them - just was looking for something with reserve power).

Pay for what you are getting seems to be the rule, as usual.

Cheers.
    Graelin likes this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I think this is the version I have:

Calibre

This is a “cheap” one which its blurb says will only start up to a 2.4 diesel. It obviously had no trouble starting my dead DS3 that my C-Tek was unable to revive. Fair enough as the battery was seven years old.

It also says it has a 6mth standby time, whereas the manual says to charge it after every use and to charge it every 3 mths.

I suspect it goes flat long before 3 mths and unless you are going to diligently charge it (I have no cars currently with a dodgy battery) I’d recommend something a little more expensive that will last longer in a standby state.

It has a cigarette lighter attachment, so taking it on an outback trip is feasible, I guess.

All the reviews on the product page are very positive, and other than its suspect standby time I’m happy with it.

Small enough to fit in a non-PSA car glovebox.
    Fordman likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Likewise, I’ve only used mine 3-4 times jumpstarting only on 4 Cyl petrol cars. Haven’t tried it on my 3L diesel. But for the cost, it works for what I want, so I can’t fault it. I’m finding my R8 battery isn’t keeping its charge as well as it used to, so may be on the way out so the jump starter is cheap insurance.
    Fordman likes this.
    KB

Seems to be a fair interest in these things, thanks for all your input, helps others to decide how far they want to go (price vs capacity).

This for a final comment (maybe) from me. I bought the optional 15amp connector (actually as I went into the "real" shop, they gave it to me). Its at bottom of picture, has the blue connector which plugs into the jump start connector socket on the battery pack, so it gets direct high power. It has 5mm dia brass tubular connectors, so its fairly serious. The standard one next to it plugs into the low power side of the pack, and is OK to 3 amps. The HD one will be used for the car fridge.

You can see the stuff that comes in the bag - most will never be used. But the other main items are the power pack (RH side in photo), cig lighter charger, 240v charger (in lower pocket), jump start leads with safety overrides, plus various adaptor leads including USB. All in a case which fits neatly under my front passenger seat.

Buy Australian (design at least)
    Cheers.

Goodbye jumper leads - Hello jump Starter!-img_20181016_162034144_red.jpg
    Graelin, Kenfuego and COL like this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

If this is for home use .... I have one of these. Its always worked to date. I haven't tried it on a deisel yet (If the battery is flat in the tractor I usually just give it 15minutes before I try to start .... that sucker is brutal on batteries).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-12v-...Fpqq:rk:1:pf:0
    jaahn likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

If this is for home use .... I have one of these. Its always worked to date. I haven't tried it on a deisel yet (If the battery is flat in the tractor I usually just give it 15minutes before I try to start .... that sucker is brutal on batteries).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-12v-...Fpqq:rk:1:pf:0
    That looks to be a real brute, probably one for Roger Wilkinson too with the 12volt -24volt capacity, and not a bad price either, but a bit large to carry about in the car DoubleChevron!

Ken
    jaahn likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information