Help with Lexia 3 troubleshooting on Berlingo
  • Register
  • Help

Default Help with Lexia 3 troubleshooting on Berlingo

Hi all,
    Have been having an intermittent problem with the 2006 petrol Berlingo so decided to try investigating with a Lexia 3.
    Ordered one online and was pleasantly surprised by how easy the install was, I purposely didn't buy the cheapest one, spent about $150 Inc shipping.

The two issues I'm dealing with are:
    1. Cooling fan not coming on till too hot around 100+
    2. Intermittent no start, it would seem because fuel pump doesn't pre prime. You can hear this occur when ignition is turned on before starter.

So far finding my way around the interface, the Diagnose test runs and shows, comms to units and result. Fuel Injection shows faults, and it shows a ? Against 'Switch module at steering wheel'.
    When further looking into the fuel injection fault it shows, ' P1438 Actuators supply relay stuck'
    I need some help from here, I'm guessing that the fault relates to a relay in the BSW fuse box? From the info in Lexia it would appear the fuel injection module has some input into cooling fans as well.
    I have done the actuator tests and all 3 speeds of the fans can be run, so it can't be an issue with resistors for the fan speeds.
    As far as I'm aware the relays on the BSW are all soldered to a potted circuit board and replacement of these are not easy?

Advertisement

The only other readout from Lexia that I don't understand is on a page that display engine parameters, it shows Coolant Temp, and this corresponds with gauge, but there is an item called "Coolant Temperature requested by ECU" and this reads as 24C??? Dont understand this.
    Any tips would be appreciated
    Steve
    Last edited by Big Frog; 12th October 2018 at 08:39 AM.

Take a look at the faults journal too.
    There is a lot more detail there.
    My Diagbox takes several hours to produce the report, but I suspect that I have a software issue.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Hi
    Where is generated from in Lexia?
    Is it from the top menu -> Home | Docs | Measurement | Reports

or elsewhere?
    Steve

I am not familiar with Lexia as I have the later Diagbox. I suspect you may be using Diagbox too.

After you check for faults, you can select any of the ECU's and there is a Journal icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

I went through a not similar exercise on my 1.4 206.
    The fan on that had two speeds and two relays controlling it plus, the low speed fan also has a thermo-resistor switch which on the peugeot is bolted to the radiator support panel below the radiator to the left of the fan (as you look at it from the front). In my case the low speed fan wasn't working at all, and the high speed fan only kicks in around 95-100.

The low speed fan should work whenever the A/C compressor is running (if appl.) or when the temp reaches thermostat type temp, it kicks in and out accordingly. I replaced relays, checked wiring etc and replaced the thermo-resistor times - the original, a s/h spare and a new one off eBay. Finally I relented and put it into Colliers and he found the latest resistor switch was also faulty an replaced it with a genuine part and it worked!

On most lexia type scanners, you should be able to activate the low and high speed fans to test using the scanner - I think they call it initiate?

Can't help with the fuel pump issue.
    KB

Thanks KB
    Symptoms appear the same.
    Via the Diagnosis / Lexia I can command all three of the fan speeds no problem.
    So im thinking the resistors etc are fine.Also the temp sender must be sending info as the gauge works fine and there is only one sender, the diagbox also shows coolant temperature correctly.
    In my mind I feel it is more of a logic problem, as noted there is this unexplained parameter shown as "Coolant temperature commanded by ecu" which never changes from 24C. And seems non sensical.
    Cheers
    Steve

This screen from Lexia/diagbox
    Help with Lexia 3 troubleshooting on Berlingo-lexia.jpg
    Can anyone shed some light on the
    " Coolant temperature setting sent by ecu"?
    Don't know why 24 is shown , it never alters, ?

1000+ Posts

The ECU has a fairly straightforward program where number of sensor input vaules are compared with a modelled table developed by the design engiineers after many trials. The tables determine the outputs to be requested by the controller. I suspect (without good evidence) about 25 degrees is to get a desired heat transfer rate. The main errors would be when accelerating, and when warming up. I wonder if there is a model posted online.

Thanks for.the reply,
    I understand your point re the ecu function. But say 24 or 25 is the right value here, the ecu can't really make this be a target value, it can only affect the coolant temperature by running the fan at various speeds, does matter how fast the fan runs and how often the coolant temperature is only going to be 25 for a.second during warm up , realistically.
    Mmmmmm

Is this a 1.4 petrol Berlingo?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

I found models online using a Volvo diesel and a Cummins diesel. That figure compares well with those models, to achieve the desired heat transfer rate. It's obviously lower than the coolant temperature. The models were run at air temperatures much lower than might be usual here.

Matlab has a simulation for this stuff in its library, which I probably have, but I haven't located sensible inputs to the subroutines. It's an interesting exercise.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Yes, 1.4 petrol, 2006.
    It's a puzzle to me Seasink.

Thread Information