Bigger injectors for Mi16 motor
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bigger injectors for Mi16 motor

Hi again,
    I have been off the ether since January due to some majors in my life. First was a change of job on 2 Feb., 2nd was a huge crash on the final stage of Targa Bambina on 14 March. We left the road at about 130km/hr, became briefly airborne,clipped a ditch with a rear wheel and somersaulted 3 1/2 times, coming to rest on our roof. I was in the "silly seat" in the 405 and my co-driver was driving. I broke a vertebra in C4/C5 region of my neck, and the unstable fracture needed an operation after 2 weeks to fuse those bones together(which they took from my hip-OUCH !).
    I have been recovering since in a Philadelphia neck brace(rigid foam) but was given the OK to chuck it yesterday, and am just using a soft collar to do longer walks and start to drive again. The first drive today was uncomfortable, and hurt to turn enough in each direction to safely leave side roads, traffic roundabouts, etc. Am returning to work next Monday, part time to begin with.
    The rally Mi16 is totally stuffed body and chassis wise, BUT I expect to recover the recently rebuilt motor, gearbox and Quaife LSD, plus 5 wheels, 2 front Konis(yellow), and one rear Koni. Stuff like the CD player, rally meter,ECU, etc will be saved but I think the roll cage did its job so well, that it will be u/s.
    So what to replace it with? Why an '91 Mi16 4x4 seems an interesting candidate.
    It was bought as a Targa project car, but the project never happened. It has rego on hold, and the injectors have been taken out by the owner to keep his standard 89 model Mi16 on the road. It is available at an appealing price.

I seem to recall some discussion in this forum say about 12/18 mths ago about fitting bigger injectors to Mi16 induction systems to create a bigger 'bang". I think 250ml BMW injectors were mentioned.
    Please can someone suggest which BMW model(what years of manufacture) these sized injectors were from ?
    Thanks in anticipation.

Advertisement

Good to hear you are up and about again Don and driving again.
    Also good to hear you are thinking about the next rally car.
    You will be glad to know that I went out and bought a neck brace the other day. After your accident and Anton's in the Taranaki Rally (also with neck injuries) I decided it was a good idea to wear one.

Ross

good 2 c u r OK....
    on the subject of injectors.....well at one stage i was looking at upgrading my 205 gti injectors...and i remeber (not sure though) that the 2.4 l magna used the same type but i think flowed more....

anyway try this link:

http://www.bosch.com.au/productcatalogue/sat/efi.htm

download the catalogue (quick)...1/2 way down the page the various vehicle application begins.....u ll note 205 gti and 405 mi16 use same bosch numbers....note that the 1.9l and 2l motors have different part numbers (injector)

0 280 150 762
    and
    0 280 150 423

i did a quick scan through it and the only match i came across was under the VOLVO (c...they r good for something else beside the humble v6)

Note 740 and 940 models list same (above) part numbers...although they run 2.3l engines......THESE might be the way 2 go.....not sure about BMW.....I suppose best way to look for alternative is to CLASSIFY the mi16 injector ie type flow rate etc....and then look for same type with same elec specs but better flow....

cheers

dino

wow! glad to hear youre ok!

even glader to hear that youre ready to jump straight back into it!!

love to see progress on the new car.
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

Icon14 Bigger injectors for Mi16 motor

Thanks guys for your supportive comments. I am glad to be getting back into circulation. Did more driving today and it came a bit easier, did some more physio too-she makes me hurt. She is a cool young dutch woman, so I can cope.
    The 405 x4 Mi16 was good enough to buy so I now own it for less than $2k.
    Not mobile as needs 2 injectors, ignition switch, rear window quarter light, thermostat, radiator to be reinstalled, some hoses, etc. and requires to be registered("rego on hold").
    Had plenty of reasonably clean oil in sump.
    Now I have a project for winter-to get it going well.

Thanks Dino for the Bosch site info. I have downloaded, so will work on that info and seek similar injectors but with bigger flow rate.
    Cheers

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16freak
    less than $2k.

drooooooool...

thats SO UNFAIR!

Are there many fourbies down there??
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

Default Bigger injectors-405 Mi16 x4

I think I got lucky, but I have some work to do to get it operational. Shouldnt be much of a problem, as I have done much of same when preparing the Targa car.
    Mi16 x4's are much less common than FWD, but were sold new here at the time.
    One PCC club member friend has one as his daily driver('90 model), and people that have them usually hold them till they die(or cars dies, whichever happens first). I know of a farmer in King Country, about 3 1/2 hours South of Auckland, who owned his from new until last year, when the car died. He was dismayed. If the centre Torsen diff dies they are very expensive- $4500NZ and can take months to get from Scandanavia via Peugeot.

Gerald Cullen and his mate Rod sent Rod over here and bought a x4 version which he took back to Queensland. I dont know what they plan with the car.
    I notice that Rod and another family member had a good placing in this years recent Targa Tassie in the GTi6.
    Cheers

Don

Thread Information