207 cc going from 6" steel rims to 7" Hockenheim alloys
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 207 cc going from 6" steel rims to 7" Hockenheim alloys

Not long after I changed wheels the dreaded "power steering failure" notice came up. One code cancel was successful but the next time the code came up has been permanent. Looking at the specs for the steering rack there are two rack versions for the 207, one for 6" and one for 7" as per official Pergeot service manual disc. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two kinds?
    If I still want to use the existing rack in the car can the BSI unit be recalibrated if the wider tyres 205 45 17 are used. Running 28 psi.
    Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement

Power steer fault is not related to the tyres how old is the car pm me some info

Tadpole

Default Help appreciated

[Hello,

The 207cc is an 05/2011 1.6 88Kw build that has only 63,000 km's on the clock. I purchased it 6 weeks ago as it was in really excellent condition and had alot of character when compared to most of the refridgerators on wheels today. Untill I changed the wheels over all was going well for a full month, two weeks later with the Hockenheims the steering went. Battery is fine and alternator are fine as is the serpentine belt. Tyres are run at 38 psi to survive any potholes so steering shouldn't have that much drag. When I looked up the parts for that model it seems that the factory had two part numbers for racks, one for 6" and one for 7" rims. Wether that's the program within the racks IC being calibrated to save time when the BSI is programed at line completion?
    I can get a new rack for eight hundred dollars but would appreciate if you think that you might be able to shine some light on my problem please. Other than the steering the car runs like new as it has had pretty good maintainance since new.

Ok listen to what I say exactly don’t touch anything call your local dealer today don’t wait tell them you have had your power steering fail and get it into them ASAP please update the forum with the result pm me if you want more info

Tadpole

Do you think they may do a repair at a special price because of such an early failure?

Just take it in and update the forum with result

Tadpole

Will be taking car into Peugeot at Alexandria in the next couple of weeks as they are boooked out for some time. I will follow through with an update which way it goes for me.Thanks for your help all.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcinoz View Post
    [Hello,

Tyres are run at 38 psi to survive any potholes so steering shouldn't have that much drag. .

Overinflated tyres are more likely to suffer pot hole damage

As good as many

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=1

Tadpole

Default Power steering fixed!

Excellent news from Paris! Peugeot Alexandria replaced the electic power steering motor and also replaced the oil pump solenoid valve for free last week. Now back on the road again. The 7" Hokenheim alloys with good rubber that replaced the earlier 6" steels give a slightly harsher ride but certainly improve the handling and grip on the road alot. Little minus point now is , must be vigilant looking for any potholes etc.
    Thanks for the replies for going to a dealer quickly to sort this out.

Not bad for a 7 year old car

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Thread Information