205/50R15 Anyone tried these!
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205/50R15 Anyone tried these!

I had some standard 15" 1.9 GTi Speeline alloys on my pug over in UK when I met a guy who did road rallying. He said to try putting some 205/50 tyres on the alloys when they next needed replacing.

Advertisement

I did but the only Tyre I could find in that size was a Kelly's tyre can't remember the exact model (it was 3-4 years ago now), but all I can remember was the huge performance increase I got from doing it. The handling was pinsharp and grip was superb (of course it was fractionally slower 0-60 but in the UK you barely have a road thats longer than 100m in a staight line!).

I just wondered if anyone had thought of doing that over here as the standard 15" alloys take those tyres no probs!

I've had them on mine for 2 years now... a lower profile tyre doesn't make your car slower 0 - 60 maaate. The rolling diameter is different and your speedo is a bit out.

Pirelli P6000s.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    I've had them on mine for 2 years now... a lower profile tyre doesn't make your car slower 0 - 60 maaate. The rolling diameter is different and your speedo is a bit out.

Pirelli P6000s.
    Technically it does (larger surface area on the tarmac) due to the increased amount of friction but it shouldn't make an impact in real life as the rolling diameter is slightly less anyway. The extra width has an amazing affect on handling though!

The rolling diameter is only slightly out and you can tune it back in rather easily anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Pug 205 TT16
    The extra width has an amazing affect on handling though!
    Yes it does and the lower profile makes the driving experiance so much more direct and slightly lighter in the sense that it doesn't load up as much when coming on to full lock.

I've a non power steering model.

Yes it does and the lower profile makes the driving experiance so much more direct and slightly lighter in the sense that it doesn't load up as much when coming on to full lock.

I've a non power steering model.
    I feel for ya mate - no power steering can be an arse! But having said that I did have 2 205 XS 1.4's and 2 1.8 Diesels which had no power steering and they were fine (the diesels were very heavy though!)

Back in the UK I always had a spare set of teh 15" 1.9 alloys which meant that whenever I got a new 205 (had 8 so far) I just put the ones with the 205 width tyre on and kept the others in the shed. Sweet handling whatever the model! Even had them on my Mi16 205 conversion which was just plain mental!

The 205s we got here that had no power steering are great. The rack and pinion ratios are really quite light in day to day driving.

The 205mm width tire won't go on 205s with trailing arm rear suspension unless you run spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug 205 TT16
    I had some standard 15" 1.9 GTi Speeline alloys on my pug over in UK when I met a guy who did road rallying. He said to try putting some 205/50 tyres on the alloys when they next needed replacing.

I did but the only Tyre I could find in that size was a Kelly's tyre can't remember the exact model (it was 3-4 years ago now), but all I can remember was the huge performance increase I got from doing it. The handling was pinsharp and grip was superb (of course it was fractionally slower 0-60 but in the UK you barely have a road thats longer than 100m in a staight line!).

I just wondered if anyone had thought of doing that over here as the standard 15" alloys take those tyres no probs!

205/50/15 are available in many brands. I currently have them in a Michelin MXF Sport (crap tyres - dangerous in the wet), but I'll be going back to 195's are they are too wide for any 6inch rims. 205/50/15 fit a 6.5 inch rim much better.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Have u tried the P6000 on Damian?

Have u tried the P6000 on Damian?
    P6000's were OEM on the '6'. I liked them. The story goes that there was a P6000'p' model - the 'p' being for Peugeot - don't know what the difference was. Great in the wet, even with negligable tread left. Very predictable, and very progressive - not like the MXF's which 'snap' once they let go. I did several track days with them, and whilst the outright grip wasn't the highest, I got 40K k's out of them, which was just outstanding. I think tyre technology might have moved on from them though.....
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Thread Information