Peugeot 205 DKZ Head Corrosion
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 205 DKZ Head Corrosion

I recently removed the head off a 205 GTI engine that had been sitting around fore a while. There is quite a bit of corrosion around the water galleries, is the amount of corrosion normal for theses heads? would it be worthwhile repairing? I have attached photos for comments. My plan was to have 1mm machined off this head and fit on my DFZ engine along with the DKZ cam to improve the performance. Does any know the original thickness of a DKZ head?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 205 DKZ Head Corrosion-img_1232.jpg   Peugeot 205 DKZ Head Corrosion-img_1233.jpg  

That head is repairable but it will be cheaper to find another head from an Si or DKZ.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

If your DFZ head is good you could work with that.

Wow. I would consider that head gone. Have a look at the pitting in the enlarged photo. Right next to the coolant gallery there is a deep one, which is not going to be cleaned by shaving 1mm. If you have a new head gasket have a look where the sealing bead of blue material is positioned and I think you will find it will not seal because the gallery and the corrosion are too close. Yeah, you can have it welded and so on, but do you want to go there? Besides, the more you shave, the more you upset the valve timing.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

With a DFZ head you'd have a CR of approx 7.5:1.

205 heads are easy to weld. It just depends on how much you're prepared to spend. When the cost of repair is less than the cost of 2nd hand, somebody will repair it. Given the current rate of appreciation for 205's, this will be sooner than later. You can't expect parts to remain cheap whilst the cost of a 205 sky rockets.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

DKZ on a DFZ engine will give well over 10 to 1 on its own. An extra 1 mm off would be crazy. I've found the even the standard 9.6 to one compression of a D6B (130 hp leaded engine) is on the limit with 98 octane. Sure you can back the timing off but that kills the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by neilc View Post
    I recently removed the head off a 205 GTI engine that had been sitting around fore a while. There is quite a bit of corrosion around the water galleries, is the amount of corrosion normal for theses heads? would it be worthwhile repairing? I have attached photos for comments. My plan was to have 1mm machined off this head and fit on my DFZ engine along with the DKZ cam to improve the performance. Does any know the original thickness of a DKZ head?

Thank you all for your comments I will look around for a SI head.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    DKZ on a DFZ engine will give well over 10 to 1 on its own. An extra 1 mm off would be crazy. I've found the even the standard 9.6 to one compression of a D6B (130 hp leaded engine) is on the limit with 98 octane. Sure you can back the timing off but that kills the performance.
    Yeah, whoops. I went the wrong way. ie DFZ head on DKZ block.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Peter am i correct in saying a SI head is the same as a DKZ head with different valve springs? Any other differences?

And camshaft, that's all.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks

Thread Information