205 gti- where is the air con thermostat situated ??
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: 205 gti- where is the air con thermostat situated ??

1000+ Posts

Default 205 gti- where is the air con thermostat situated ??

Series 3 Google does not work for this...keeps coming up with engine thermostat.
    I have a sneaking feeling it may be up in the passengers footwell but then again some cars have them near the evaporator.....cant see it at all.

Any tips ?

Advertisement
    jr20516v

Now:
    205 GTi 1.9, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si.

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

The air con thermostat or thermister is most often located in the evaporator coil.

If it a mechanical thermostat temperature adjustment is done by rotating the shaft on the bellows unit. Normally mounted outside the coil enclosure.

If it is a thermister there may be some adjustment by a trim pot in the control unit.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    The air con thermostat or thermister is most often located in the evaporator coil.

If it a mechanical thermostat temperature adjustment is done by rotating the shaft on the bellows unit. Normally mounted outside the coil enclosure.

If it is a thermister there may be some adjustment by a trim pot in the control unit.

Great info there Rob....thx so much. Off i go for lookies.
    jr20516v

Now:

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

It's likely to pushed between the fins of the evap core.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.

1000+ Posts

Correct, dash out, airbox out and apart to get to it.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

If you remove the centre vents and look down the hole with a bright torch you can see it.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

If you need to replace the thermostat and it is readily adjustable. You can relocate it to the suction line (big pipe) as close as possible to coil. Wrap it with cork self amalgamating tape to keep ambient air off it. The temperature will be different but repeatable. So you need to adjust the thermostat.

This was the fix I used on Ford XE (?), which suffered from thermostat failures and to fit in the original place was dash out operation.

We could replace the thermostat sensing thermistor into the new position in around 30 minutes.
    PeterT likes this.

Series 3 GTi is just a name I came up with many years ago on AF, as nowhere else in the world (that I know of) were there three very different versions.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Series 3 GTi is just a name I came up with many years ago on AF, as nowhere else in the world (that I know of) were there three very different versions.

I agree Peter...... it is an easy way to describe though. The way i have always looked at it is this ..
    series 1 =square dash 75kw engine

series 2 = round dash 75 kw engine

series 3 = round dash 92kw " "

It is purely a simple way of explaining 205's especially to the newbies....but you watch someone will now come along and say "but but what about xyz"
    jr20516v

Now:

1000+ Posts

Can this air con thermosat be got out without so much hassle ? Surely one can get up and see it in the footwells... yes/no ?
    jr20516v

Now:

1000+ Posts

No, can demonstrate if required. Will double check this weekend.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Thread Information