Tyroola - anyone bought tyres from this mob?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By alan moore
  • 2 Post By jr20516v
  • 1 Post By IWS

Thread: Tyroola - anyone bought tyres from this mob?

IWS

Default Tyroola - anyone bought tyres from this mob?

I'm shopping about for tyres - for both my Laguna, and my daughter's Megane.

Advertisement

Found this mob https://www.tyroola.com.au/

Their prices are very good.

Anyone had experience with them?

Ian.

I have bought 4 lots of tyres online, 1 with Tyroola and the rest with Tyresales. On one Tyresales transaction incorrect tyres were sent. Bridgestone RE030 instead of RE003. They were taken back and given a full refund. You get given a list of tyre fitters in your area to choose from, you book a time to fit them and it is done. The price includes the freight of the new tyres,fitting, and disposal of your old tyres. Saved $60 a tyre over the best price for the same tyre on my last purchase.
    IWS likes this.

VIP Sponsor

could be mistaken but Tyroola seems to have very high fitting and delivery charges. [QUOTE=IWS;1573656]I'm shopping about for tyres - for both my Laguna, and my daughter's Megane.

Found this mob https://www.tyroola.com.au/

Their prices are very good.

Anyone had experience with them?

Ian.[/QUOTE]

Agree on high after sales prices on some of these places. I tried shopping prices but found my local tyre factory was better priced on the particular tyres I bought.

1000+ Posts

My only caution would be to get a cast-iron agreement that your tyres will have a sidewall manufacturing date stamp of nothing older than 0117 & pay nothing without that in print. If that's all too complicated for them, then avoid. Tyroola seem to do a lot of grey imports & seem to carry what seems to be obsolescent "new old stock". Personally, I wouldn't trust any mob that lists a Michelin Certis tyre ("last one left") that must be twenty years old.

edit: I'd sound the same caution about Tyresales. They simply should not be selling a Conti EcoContact CP (about 15 years of age) even with the breathless "only 20 left". Note that majors like Bob Jane should be able to beat an advertised price if all costs (transport, fitting et c.) are given to them. They won't, however, be able to match a Certis or EC CP price but that is a point in their favour.

What sizes do you seek & what tyre qualities are important to you? (There are some other good deals around.)

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 17th June 2018 at 01:10 AM.

The tyres I have bought through Tyresales have been all quite young. The Khumos on the BMW, 3 months, Khumos on the Volvo, 6 months and the Yokohamas on the 4CV were 9 months old. I used 3 different businesses for the fitment, watching them all quite closely.

1000+ Posts

I have purchased from Tyroola and not one single problem. Before you do so though shop around on their site for the cheapest fitters in your area as some like to sting you making an otherwise bargain...not so.
    I am told that Tyroola is Supercheaps "secret" tyre seller.
    IWS and CEyssens like this.
    jr20516v

Now:
    205 GTi 1.9, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si.

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

1000+ Posts

Tyroola was founded by Zvezdomir Klingenberg, who appesrs to have an arrangement with Supercheap Auto to handle the logistics.

1000+ Posts

All fine; I don't deny that either sells "in date" tyres. However they also sell potentially lethal tyres so my point stands: check.

IWS

With all the words of caution here I'm thinking I should stick with my normal tyre supplier - quoting to him the price (supply + fitting) that I'm getting from Tyroola - and seeing how he can go in matching that (or getting close). The advantage being that I know my usual tyre guy and trust him to not sell me anything dodgy, and to sort any problems that might arise down the track.

Ian.
    CEyssens likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    With all the words of caution here I'm thinking I should stick with my normal tyre supplier - quoting to him the price (supply + fitting) that I'm getting from Tyroola - and seeing how he can go in matching that (or getting close). The advantage being that I know my usual tyre guy and trust him to not sell me anything dodgy, and to sort any problems that might arise down the track.

Ian.
    I think that I'd do the same.
    Again: what sizes are you after and what qualities do you prioritise?

cheers! Peter

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    I think that I'd do the same.
    Again: what sizes are you after and what qualities do you prioritise?

cheers! Peter
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for reminder of your question.

Sizes: for the Megane: 205/55/16 for the Laguna: 215/55/16

Megane is mostly driven around town. Laguna, town and highway driving and some dirt road driving.

Qualities: decent quality tyre - not a cheapie, decent handling but not high performance handling, safety in both wet and dry is important, reasonable wear, fuel efficiency would be a bonus.

Megane currently has Goodyear (not sure what exactly) Laguna has Pirelli Cinturato P1.

Any suggestions?

Ian.

Tadpole

I bought a set of Michelin Primacys for my Peugeot 207cc. Best price available and FREE local fitting at Big Wheels Minchinbury. Ordered on a Wednesday message following day tyres were at designated fitting place and booked in first thing on the Saturday. They also have Afterpay so split cost into four payments over 8 weeks. Couldn't be happier with price and service and the Michelins are awesome

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Perhaps these at $112 fitted
    https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...5-55r16/142319

or cheaper Khumo $85 incl fitting
    https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...5-55r16/147651

I have these Hankooks on my Megane. Ride well, are quiet and have good grip wet and dry, but might only last 30K. Done about 20K so far, but at $113 each I am hardly disappointed.
    https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...5-55r16/105776
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    Perhaps these at $112 fitted
    https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...5-55r16/142319

or cheaper Khumo $85 incl fitting
    https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...5-55r16/147651

I have these Hankooks on my Megane. Ride well, are quiet and have good grip wet and dry, but might only last 30K. Done about 20K so far, but at $113 each I am hardly disappointed.
    https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...5-55r16/105776
    Good suggestions for the Megane- thanks.

For Laguna I'm thinking of Michelin Primacy at $158 x 4

I'll be off to talk to my usual tyre guy later in the week - armed with these (very good) prices from tyresales.

Ian.

1000+ Posts

Icon8

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for reminder of your question.

Sizes: for the Megane: 205/55/16 for the Laguna: 215/55/16

Megane is mostly driven around town. Laguna, town and highway driving and some dirt road driving.

Qualities: decent quality tyre - not a cheapie, decent handling but not high performance handling, safety in both wet and dry is important, reasonable wear, fuel efficiency would be a bonus.

Megane currently has Goodyear (not sure what exactly) Laguna has Pirelli Cinturato P1.

Any suggestions?

Ian.
    Well, you are truly fortunate in the Megane's 205/55-16 size - there is a splendid short list & a couple of $50 off deals for 4. I'd look the price of the best up at one of the online cheapies & then negotiate. My prices are from Jax & are only for comparative purposes. All are per tyre prices for a set of 4. Within your criteria, I've prioritised wet behaviour.

I like Bridgestone's RE003 but accept that they don't last long & there's no special deal on them at the moment to counteract that. Some have reported ride harshness in lower profiles but I don't find that in a Forester 215/60-16 fitment. It is a question mark though. $135

But . . . . .

Absolute pick of the list is the Michelin PilotSport 4. It satisfies all of your criteria very well & just because you don't seek a performance tyre doesn't mean that you must avoid one if there's no downside. It doesn't have super stiff sidewalls & lasts surprising well. A nice return to form by Michelin. After a $50 off deal, it's: $162.

[The Primacy 3 is not rubbish but is not a class leader on wet grip & is to be avoided given better options. I'd put it on my "medium list" The Primacy 3 ST is even worse & wouldn't make my "medium list".]

The RE003 & PS4 are "performance tyres"; the rest of the list are "premium touring" (like the Primacy pair). The shift is to a greater focus on comfort & noise suppression & less focus on crisp response. Wet grip is not automatically worse.

My second choice would be the Continental PremiumContact5. A perennial class leader in the wet with its only weakness being lower than class average longevity (the usual flipside of excellent wet grip). Were the PS4 not to be available, I'd pick the PC5. $156.50 ($50-off deal)

I can't see why you'd bother going past these two unless cost per kilometre (a function of purchase price & longevity obviously) is hugely important to you but other tyres not far below this pair on your criteria are:

Bridgestone's new Turanza T005. $185 Good wet grip but I'd wait for one of their "4 for the price of 3" deals on Turanzas. Maybe in July?

Goodyear's EfficientGrip Performance. Good all rounder but $169 & only merit over the PC5 is greater longevity.

Dunlop's BluResponse. Along with its Goodyear stablemate & the Conti this is a longtime podium place getter in tests. Not listed by Jax so no price.

Dunlop's new FM 800. Not a European line so I can't "channel" test results for you but I have a pair at the rear of the R8. Very good lateral wet grip but not as crisp in response as, say, the PC5 or PC2. $135

A much-used & favourite tyre of mine is the Continental PremiumContact 2 but I can't see why one would get it if its replacement,the PC5, is available. $142.50 Longevity is a weakness

Longevity is a strength of Pirelli's new P6. This is regional type (like the FM800) & I have no European test data on it. I do have a pair on the rear of the 4CVG & judge it to be crisper than the FM800 & not noticeably inferior in the wet. Probably the best price per kilometre on my list at $135.

Hankook's Ventus Prime 2 is a good tyre on your criteria but I'd rate it below the above shortlisted tyres. Similarly "medium listed" would be its stablemates: the Kinergy Eco & Eco2 (less crisp than the VP2, similar wet grip & better economy).

Less well populated is the 215/55-16 size. Given your dirt road remarks, I'd avoid any "fuel efficient" tyres as that usually means less robust sidewalls. So, criteria are adjusted a bit.

The excellent PS4 is not available but its predecessor is. Michelin's Pilot Sport3 is expensive at $186.50 (even after $50 off) but a very good tyre with its only weakness as a performancetyre being mild lack of handling crispness (not an issue for you).

The excellent PC5 Conti is not available but the PremiumContact 2 is. As mentioned earlier, longevity is a weakness but this particular size is a higher load rating XL variant. This usually means 2 sidewall plies instead of 1 & that is good for dirt roads. It also usually means less comfort. Crisper than the PS3. $166.50

Also XL rated are Goodyear's EfficientGripPerformance & Dunlop's FM800. See earlier comments on these. Each is comparatively expensive at $209 for the EGP & $189 for the FM800. Each would last longer than the PC2. Price-precluded I think.

Worth considering also is a tyre a step down from these, Hankook's Ventus S1 Noble 2. Also XL & $175. Given the PS3 & PC2 though, why choose it?

Personally, I'd get the PC2 for the XL sidewalls or the PS3 for slightly better price per kilometre. Each is excellent.

YMMV, Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 20th June 2018 at 02:54 AM.

Thread Information