505 power steering control valve removal
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beano

Thread: 505 power steering control valve removal

Default 505 power steering control valve removal

I'm trying to remove the 'control valve' from a spare 505 power steering rack I have. I've removed the two bolts that appear to hold it to the rack (arrowed) but although it seperates a little it's not coming off as it seems to be catching on something. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Also how hard is it to replace the seals in the control valve and also the ram? I've seen a few videos on youtube for other makes but not 505 which may be a bit (or a lot) different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 power steering control valve removal-505-steering-control-valve-arrowed-copy.jpg  

I was once told that this job is best left to a professional. Those seals are really touchy and very easy to damage.

You've got the thing out....spend a bit of money. It can't be much now.
    driven likes this.

Thanks Beano. That may be but I've rebuilt a couple of motors and a gearbox so close tolerances etc don't scare me. I have to admit knowing very little about these valves but this is helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kflK40LN2XI

Doesn't look too difficult. The rack is a spare so it was already off the car and the plan is to take the valve off and replace the leaking valve on the car. Would be nice to put new seals into it before I have it put on the car which is already going to cost me money

I'll keep trying to get the spare valve off but if anyone has any expereience with these please let me know.
    Last edited by nisspug2; 3rd June 2018 at 11:35 AM.

Hi
    I've done this job numerous times, apart from the bolts you mentioned, you need to remove a domed cap on the underside of the rack at the opposite side to the valve, I usually use a thin blade to ease it off, this will expose a nut which you will need to undo, once that's done the valve will slide out and you can then dismantle the valve by removing the circlips at each end. Mark the position of everything carefully as otherwise you can alter the position of the steering flector relative to the rack position, I've never had trouble sourcing seal kits and have replaced the bearings by purchasing through local bearing supplier.
    Regards
    Neil

Hi
    I also meant to meant to mention that as far as I know the ram is not serviceable and you will need to replace it with a new one.
    Regards
    Neil

Let us know how you go, Nisspug.
    I forgot to mention...I was told that the internal seals are special O-rings and are quite expensive (and these are the ones that are easily damaged), though the seal at the top which stops the oil leaking out is probably the same price as any other seal.

Your quite right Beano, however I've never had to worry about the "O" Rings, just replaced the end oil; seals and all is well, in any case I've never been able to work out how to replace the "O" rings as they are made of some nylon looking material and won't stretch.
    Regards
    Neil

Thanks for the info on the end cap Neil. Initially I didn't see that the cap has an external lip and I tried to dig the cap out from the recess but after a bit of WD40 and scraping away of muck I suddenly saw the lip and was able to get a small screwdriver under it. I was able to remove the nut and withdraw the valve (see pics). That nut was tight though -around 70lb/ft!!! I also have a spare ram which I'll install as is, if it isn't rebuildable.

Thank you both for the info on the seals too. Will let you know how I go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 power steering control valve removal-prying-cover-off-copy.jpg   505 power steering control valve removal-nut-exposed-copy.jpg   505 power steering control valve removal-valve-removed-copy.jpg  

I also found this thread which has some good info:

505 STI Power Steering Overhaul

Thread Information