205 Diesel Electric fans and switch cooling
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 Diesel Electric fans and switch cooling

Yet more work !!!
    What started out as an electrical light problem has turned into a system take apart inspect clean and renew .
    I have taken out the radiator ( about a year old ) flushed it through both ways and removed dead bugs.
    Cleaned and inspected coolant pipes and also flushed the block but not with the drain plug removed .
    header tank removed and inspected . Prior to all this the fans were coming on at ridiculous frequency and staying on, thats what prompted me to take the system apart and also because i had a leaking heater matrix .
    I,m awaiting a new matrix so done a short circuit for the coolant tubes there . Meanwhile i installed a brand new electric thermostat switch in the rad, before that i had the loom on the bench and tested the lot by putting the switch in hot water and the fans kicked in , so all ok. Tidyied up the loom an re installed the lot in the car.
    Filled it up with clean rainwater bled the system then took it for a run and done another refill to get rid of more crap.
    However now the fans DONT come on and its got me a bit jittery , have i got the wrong temp thermostatic switch for the fans , the OLD one has on the brass body 92.5C and 97.5C ,
    the NEW one has 92 - 87 deg C and 97 - 92 deg C . Does this read right for a 205 , albeit mine is a XUD 7 Diesel .
    My other question is do both fans always come on together or is one a slow speed fan and the other a high speed one . Are there any people who have dealt with this on the forums . I think i will have to install a water temp gauge and an over ride fan switch as a precaution .

Any help appreciated

Advertisement

Both fans should always come on together, unless someone has re-wired it. They should be connected in series at 92șC for low speed and then in parallel for high speed at 97șC.
    ie
    low speed - on 92 off 87
    high speed - on 97 off (back to low speed) 92

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks for the reply .
    I see , the series parallel fan configs for slow fast does this work because of the fan resistance in the motor coils ? ie series = higher restance = half voltage drop ie 6 volts. And parallel config = 12 v across both for fast .
    Within the the thermo switch there are two resistances for the two temp ranges right ?, these three wires out from the switch go to the relays circuit , i have one green two black , the green relay controls the config for series or parallel ?. I think ive got the jist of whats going on just need opinions .

Yes, correct. You should have three relays controlling two fans, if it hasn't been tampered with. I have circuit diagram for later cars, where the polarity of the control wires is reversed, if that helps. What year model is yours?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1995 205 XUD 7 . Well i think a few sticky fingers have been in it in the past judging by some of the craftsmanship, in my opinion complete utter Aholes !!!!!!!!!!!.
    Wouldnt mind a look at the diagrams if you can post em up please .

Thanks

Attached is a diagram from a 405, but it's the same, other than wire numbers may differ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 Diesel Electric fans and switch cooling-screen-shot-2018-01-04-7.41.25-pm.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks for the diagram , i will check it with my wiring.

Cheers

I have checked my wiring and diagram again and am satisfied i have it right . I pretty much figured out the diagram you sent me and used the symbols to redraw mine , but i have a puzzle !.
    Everything checks out EXCEPT one connector.
    On the top corner of the rad there is the sender unit screwed in. from the unit comes three wires RED, WHITE, and GREEN, i figure red is the power wire and the white and green are the high and low temp wires out going to the pin 85 of two of the relays. However , tracing the RED wire back into the loom from the sender and it goes into a red connector, beside it is a yellow wire , this goes of to the third relay on pin 87a, not sure why ?.
    The red connector with the red and yellow wires snaps together with the other half which has three wires , GREEN, BROWN AND WHITE .
    I cannot work out what the yellow is for nor the brown into the car .
    Do you have any clues please.
    Best i could do with my drawing program .
    Cheers.
    205 Diesel Electric fans and switch cooling-peugeot-205-fan-relay-sender-drawing.png

Thread Information