• 2 Post By Beano
  • 3 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 3 Post By Exfrogger
  • 1 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By Exfrogger

Thread: Registering a discarded car

1000+ Posts

Default Registering a discarded car

I have an R12 in my possession that was given by the owner to their landlord as a partial payment of overdue rent, who then advertised it here and it was then bought by an AFer who thought it a good idea at the time but decided some time later it wasn't so he gave it to me...

I've done some work on it but am not sure if registration is going to be a hassle.

Anyone gone through these hoops?

Peter

Advertisement
    Last edited by Exfrogger; 1st May 2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

I'd reckon that you would need to prove ownership and it sounds as though a letter/receipt from the last registered owner would be required. Hopefully, I am wrong.
    Dano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    I have an R12 in my possession that was given by the owner to their landlord as a partial payment of overdue rent, who then advertised it here and it was then bought by an AFer who thought it a good idea at the time but decided some time later it wasn't so he gave it to me...

I've done some work on it but am not sure if registration is going to be a hassle.

Anyone gone through these hoops?

Peter
    I have gone through this procedure a number of times.

Have a look at the regulations etc. on the DOT web Site: https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/lice...my-vehicle.asp

Check the Inspect and Move tab.

You will find 3 companies in Geraldton who are authorized to inspect vehicles for licensing.

They will go over it with a fine tooth comb.
    Their main objective is to make sure everything works and is in good condition.
    In particular all items related to safety.
    Seat belts, Brakes etc.

Drop into which ever company you want to use and discuss the procedure and the car with them.

Cheers
    Roland

Yes. Peter Chisholm is right - you do have to prove ownership. Again ask the inspectors what paperwork is required.
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Here in QLD, all you need is a signed statement on a special form which the Transport Dept give you when you go in with all the other paperwork (Safety Cert etc). It is accompanied with a verbal warning that you will be transported to Antarctica, executed etc etc if you make a false statement.
    jaahn and dvr like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

just make yourself a receipt .... they generally don't even bother looking at it I've noticed!
    lozenge, JohnW and gsmack like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Hi Roland

Thanks

Got yellow stickered a month or so ago for a cracked windscreen on my 91 Triton ute. Not a pleasant experience at all. The inspector had a red hot go and sent me home with more than a little homework...

I'd rather have the heads up on the car before I commit to doing more work on it.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I have gone through this procedure a number of times.

Have a look at the regulations etc. on the DOT web Site: https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/lice...my-vehicle.asp

Check the Inspect and Move tab.

You will find 3 companies in Geraldton who are authorized to inspect vehicles for licensing.

They will go over it with a fine tooth comb.
    Their main objective is to make sure everything works and is in good condition.
    In particular all items related to safety.
    Seat belts, Brakes etc.

Drop into which ever company you want to use and discuss the procedure and the car with them.

Cheers
    Roland

Yes. Peter Chisholm is right - you do have to prove ownership. Again ask the inspectors what paperwork is required.

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Here in QLD, all you need is a signed statement on a special form which the Transport Dept give you when you go in with all the other paperwork (Safety Cert etc). It is accompanied with a verbal warning that you will be transported to Antarctica, executed etc etc if you make a false statement.
    When I re-registered Greenbloods C5 in QLD I didn't need any proof which was interesting but it was almost 9 months after its was last registration so I think they write off the books vehicles that have not been registered for 6 months or so.

1000+ Posts

Hi :0
    Here in NSW you are required to provide a receipt for the car and showing the cost for purpose of tax and the date. It does not have to say it is the from the last registered owner, just has to say sold, by someone, to you, for an amount, and on a date, and signed. Just like any other receipt, and subject to the same laws.

As DoubleChevron says it is not really checked if it looks OK and is just copied to the rego file as a proof of ownership. No receipt of any sort, no rego here. So you can ask the last person before you to write one for you. Make it for $5 and everyone would be happy with an old car like that.

I have used old scraps of paper and the like with some old cars I re-regoed no problems. One was on a jagged piece torn from a book.
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

Okay, I'm getting the drift here...

When I got the 17 it was offered for free. I told DOT that the owner had twice tried to sell it and got no offers and that I handed over a couple of very drinkable bottles of red. I included in the note the cost of the wine and they were happy to tax me at that. It was trivial in the end. So yeah they might have a sense of humour too.
    jaahn, JohnW and bluey504 like this.

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

My brother was once encouraged to whip outside and write out his own receipt that he didn’t have, by the rta counter person!
    It was a low value car of course also.
    jaahn likes this.
    KB

I may have this wrong but you don't have to own the vehicle to have it registered in your name.
    Cars under finance are owned by the lender but are registered in the name of the driver, parents buy cars for their children, etc.
    Anyway, can't talk for WA but here is QLD the system appear to be pretty simple for unmodified cars.
    Have your roadworthy certificate and the completed application registration form.
    They will check that the vehicle is not already registered and if not they will issue a registration certificate.
    They check the details on your application against the previous registration details (if they have them).
    They'll eyeball the car and check the VIN/chassis and engine numbers match the application form.
    You don't necessarily have to have a receipt from the previous owner but you do have to declare a value.
    They will check the value is in the ball-park for the make/model/year/condition for the car and if it's okay all is good.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

1000+ Posts

Default Acceptable proof of entitlement documents

Hi R T T
    In NSW I did not believe you could register a car in any name but the declared owner.

However on checking the RMS site just now I see a raft of new documents are now there.
    Acceptable proof of entitlement documents
    Proof of registration entitlement - Get a NSW registration - Registration - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services
    Of course a receipt is there but also other ways to get registration "entitlement" in the jargon of the day in NSW. Perhaps they are accepting new ways of doing business these days and are not as ridgid in their ways as in days past. I have found the RTA has been the most difficult department to deal with in times past when what I did not fit their idea of how it must be done. Bastards are supposed to work for us not just act as a state tax department.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 2nd May 2018 at 11:51 AM.

1000+ Posts

When did they start registering cars in Geraldton?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

You can have a car examined anywhere in the state.

Most regional centres have been able to do this for many decades!

The only thing that has changed is that the DOT doesn't do examinations any more.

Local registered garages do it under contract to the DOT.

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/lice...cted.asp#41083

Registering a discarded car-inspection.jpg

Cheers
    Roland

Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    I may have this wrong but you don't have to own the vehicle to have it registered in your name.
    Cars under finance are owned by the lender but are registered in the name of the driver, .
    Hi
    Just as a matter of passing interest, I don't think finance companies in that situation own the car.
    They are owed money and have a right to repossess, but they don't actually own the car.

Regards,
    Andy

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    When did they start registering cars in Geraldton?
    Im considering driving beyond the city limits...
    renault8&10 likes this.

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

have a right to repossess
    In this case the insurance company may the pay the person who has the vehicle in their possession a tidy fee to make the matter of ownership disappear.

Repossession costs are likely to exceed the value of car, which essentially scrap metal value.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Im considering driving beyond the city limits...
    The din of banjos and bagpipes is driving me spare...

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

VIP Sponsor

Yes, they just take a quick glance and hand it back to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    just make yourself a receipt .... they generally don't even bother looking at it I've noticed!

Thread Information