Cargo "Seal-Up" experiences?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Cargo "Seal-Up" experiences?

Hi Gents,
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with "Cargo Seal-Up" for permanently/temporarily sealing a head gasket breach?

I have recently split a coolant hose on the S16 and while fixing the problem, noticed an overly pressurised cooling system. I have tested the coolant for carbon monoxide and it is present in the header tank confirming a failing head gasket.

There are no other symptoms (yet) of head gasket issues on the car. No mixing of oil/coolant, coolant level remains stable, no running issues, white smoke or overheating.

Advertisement

Obviously, the proper fix is to simply replace the head gasket but I was wondering if a product such as Seal-Up may keep me going for a while longer until I am in a better position to strip the engine down for repair, as currently the car is my daily driver.

If anyone has had any experience with Seal-Up, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1000+ Posts

Hi Katana
    I have no knowledge of "cargo seal-up" and have not seen it.
    However I have used Chemiweld twice over the years with success. They say:

• Permanently seals small cracks & flaws in cylinder heads, blocks & other castings
    • Effective on iron, aluminium, brass, bronze & steel

I used it years ago on a Toyota Hiace engine same problem as yours. I used the stuff as per instructions and drove it for a few weeks to get in the gaps. Then I retightened the head studs. Backed each one off a turn and retightened to a slightly higher torque one at a time.

I drove that vehicle to Darwin and back after a while and for another couple of years. Had to do the head gasket after that when my daughter let it run low on water.But that fixed it for another life. Had a few hundred thousand Kms on it

Hard to remember the other usage but it worked OK to get out of trouble at the time.
    Good luck Jaahn

Thanks Jaahn,
    From my understanding Seal-Up and Chemiweld are essentially the same, so it sounds promising.

When you eventually replaced the head gasket on the Hiace, did you notice any build up or clogging inside the cooling system from using the product?

1000+ Posts

No Katana, hard to say sometimes but it never caused any problems after the head was skimmed and new gasket.

Jaahn

Thread Information