Compression ratio for modified Mi16 - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12

What part number are they? If solid, then leave them and just set them up on 106/109 centre lines.

I assumed they were these:Compression ratio for modified Mi16-screen-shot-2018-04-12-10.26.49-pm.png

Advertisement

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Sorry, can't now find the listing except for that one you put up, I did see it a few days ago though, listed next to the hydraulic version they are 285 degrees.

You've built an engine with a 4000-7000 usable rev range, thus you need to gear it accordingly. Removing the TB's would be a backward step. Why detune it? It's far better to make all the components work together. Having the higher CR will improve low down torque, making the engine more efficient everywhere. Driving at 4000 and 110km/h may seem excessive, but it will still achieve excellent fuel economy. Some decent 4-2-1 extractors will remove the 3500-4000 dip caused by the standard Mi16 pipes. Do it right, do it once.

VIP Sponsor

Trouble is that it is 5000 to 7000 currently with the standard D6C spec engine. Extractors no good due to ground clearance issues and positioning of flexible joint. I know what you mean but I have persevered for a year with the 309 trying to keep all of the specification recommended to me but at the moment I much prefer to drive my stock 205 Si in the events that is eligible for (no cage) and I don't think it is much slower results wise.
    I'll take it for a drive this afternoon with the power assist back on the brakes and hopefully some clearance on the master cylinder/timing cover, I did get some some gains mainly on part throttle in a Dyno session a couple of days back and haven't had a chance to try that out yet.

VIP Sponsor

I have followed your suggestion and obtained a 4.78 to 1 final drive. I'll leave the 4.43 box as is so need another Quaife, anybody? I have a 3J plate diff if someone wants to swap. Otherwise still waiting on a reply from Palmside in NZ.
    I will also be assembling the modified engine, still no answer on anyone for the compression ratio, Piper Ultimate Road cams so maybe 11.4 to one, the original motor had 11.8 to 1 but pretty big cams.
    If this doesn't work I'll build an 8 valve for next year, driving Craigs Little Silver is a revelation, far more go in the mid range than the present 16 valve and it is only a stock 75kw!!! Maybe I should lift the cam cover on that to see if it has had a tickle up. At any rate it is the quickest 205 I have driven.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    You've built an engine with a 4000-7000 usable rev range, thus you need to gear it accordingly. Removing the TB's would be a backward step. Why detune it? It's far better to make all the components work together. Having the higher CR will improve low down torque, making the engine more efficient everywhere. Driving at 4000 and 110km/h may seem excessive, but it will still achieve excellent fuel economy. Some decent 4-2-1 extractors will remove the 3500-4000 dip caused by the standard Mi16 pipes. Do it right, do it once.

Piper's cams, I suggest you ask them.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

OK, although they say the cams work from 2500, so not sure if they have done much testing, if that was the case they would be better low down than the standard ones. I bought the Piper cams on someone's recommendation not sure I've done the right thing.
    Callums GTi6 205 has been completed, seems to have a pretty flat power curve, if possible I will post that and mine on this thread to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    ...... seems to have a pretty flat power curve,
    Flat torque curve. Linear power curve.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, that's what I should have said!

Where are you up to with this Graham? Did you confirm the part number of the cams? Have you contacted Piper?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Not yet, very busy getting a rally organised. Will have a go next week. Getting 8v rods fitted to the Wossners at present. CR will be the next step, then put it together, headwork is all done.

VIP Sponsor

Slight problem with rods, may be using the PEC rods as before. No answer back from Piper as yet, something will come through tonight I would think.

what happened with the 8v rods?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Not 100% sure (got second hand report) but something to do with bushes not having enough thickness for the rods. I need to talk direct to engine shop.

Graham, did you end up checking the cam? it's definitely got some good torque, and felt very strong when I gave it it's test run....

.........If this doesn't work I'll build an 8 valve for next year, driving Craigs Little Silver is a revelation, far more go in the mid range than the present 16 valve and it is only a stock 75kw!!! Maybe I should lift the cam cover on that to see if it has had a tickle up. At any rate it is the quickest 205 I have driven.

VIP Sponsor

I'm finally finishing the car off tomorrow morning, will take a look before refitting the aircleaner. It would be good to check the compression, if up around 200 or above it would have been modified I would say.

VIP Sponsor

Piper don't list the solid lifter ultimate road cam in their spec sheet, although listed in their sales information! They suggested I send it back to be measured!
    https://www.pipercams.co.uk/Camshafts-Car/Make-Peugeot/

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Where are you up to with this Graham? Did you confirm the part number of the cams? Have you contacted Piper?

VIP Sponsor

Use this DCR calculator. It's very good.

Dynamic CR

With 11:1 static and the 280 cam, I get 8.7:1.
    Last edited by PeterT; 17th July 2018 at 09:49 AM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

So, after reading up on DCR, this looks to be OK.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 17th July 2018 at 08:57 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Cam looked stock, 380 thou lift, maybe the compression has been increased? I'm thinking a set of flat top pistons in one of these could be a go, would be around 9.5 to 1.
    Car ready to go, are you going to help Kosta come and get it?

I'm finally finishing the car off tomorrow morning, will take a look before refitting the aircleaner. It would be good to check the compression, if up around 200 or above it would have been modified I would say.

I'm confused Graham. What are you talking about?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Sorry Peter, answered you and Craig in separate posts. My reply to you suggested that 8.7 to 1 DCR may be OK for the 16V. Answer to Craig was about his 75 kw engine. I have finally found the complete specs for the Piper Ultimate Road cam with solid lifters.

Cam looked stock, 380 thou lift, maybe the compression has been increased? I'm thinking a set of flat top pistons in one of these could be a go, would be around 9.5 to 1.
    Car ready to go, are you going to help Kosta come and get it?
    Interesting.... Iíll send you a PM
    cheers
    Craig

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information