• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement

Tadpole

Default Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement

Hi everyone,

Advertisement

I looking for some support on the replacement of a steering column switch (Com2000) on a 307 XSE 2004 model (see photo). I was looking at replacing the switch due to a floppy indicator switch. I have two options. Replace the worn plunger and spring (see photo), or replace the complete column switch. The genuine Peugeot part (column switch) here in Australia at $1200AU. The alternative is a Valeo part at around $250 AU by buying on line (UK purchase point). The Peugeot part number is 96509726XT and it is unlikely that I will find a unit in good condition via a wreckers. I've tried a local Australian based European parts suppliers to buy the Valeo part. No luck so far. However, I was given a some caution by one parts supplier who said that they have heard of people having issues recoding the Valeo part after it has been installed into the vehicle.

Before I go down a particular path, could someone of the forum provide me some understanding of the potential issues about recoding the Valeo part as a replacement option?

Regards Guy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement-plunger-spring.jpg   Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement-img_6646.jpg  

Try some local wreakers 1st. Check and double check oart number of various other model pug and cit of the same build year and check floppy stalk 1st.

When I was looking for a replacement with the ESP feature no pugs suited but there were plenty to choose from. Max $50 worth a crack..

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

Thanks Dimistyle. I will keep looking.

I have been able to confirm that the info I received from one parts supplier regarding the need to recode after replacing the switch was in fact incorrect.

1000+ Posts

Hi GuySal
    I have assisted two people who purchased a new unit from England. Good prices there and they will give direct replacements for your part number, either the same or a replacement number. So if you are certain of your part number, from a VIN check, then just search for that on Ebay or whatever. Freight is usually good(and quick) but some UK suppliers do not send OS ??? so check that.

It is not hard to change and perhaps there are some Utube videos of it, Citroens too of course ! Just disconnect the battery first so the airbag is not powered, as well as the other wires. The clips for the air bag are a bit hard to find as they are at the front of the steering wheel in the holes. And secure the clock spring and cover with tape or something so it cannot come undone. The steering should be pointing ahead when you start too.

No recoding required.
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

I got one from my service agent for about $600 and its fine. Not sure on brand and it fixed the same floppy non correcting issue.

As mentioned watch the spring, I had to rewind mine a bit and it seems fine. Battery off wait 30 minutes so any residual charge in the airbag dissipates. Be warned, bad battery in BSI can upset things when you go to start things, fortunately not had this so far. Dimi will be your hero there!
    dimistyle likes this.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Tadpole

My daughter has just bought her first Peugeot (307xs Hatch) 2004. Came complete with Floppy indicator switch (insert unimpressed mum face here).

Is this one of those things that we need to replace the entire Com 2000 Unit (I believe that's what it's called, I've done a ton of google) or is it one if I find the right 300yr old European Mechanic/Auto-Sparky I'll be able to just get just the Stalk replaced or better still just the Plunger?

1000+ Posts

The unit is integrated so the full thing should be replaced. I can advise who did mine here in Brisbane if required.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Tadpole

I took a punt last year and bought a 2007 model 307XS HDi, and so far am amazed how readily accessible parts are for them.
    Have done a few fixes so far - discs and pads, replaced centre dash display ($35 fom China!), lousy AM radio reception (removed CD changer...), timing belt & water pump ($140 from Germany), and inner tie rod end.
    But... this nearly has me beat... the headlights switch on randomly when the blinkers are used and then the near side low beam bulb blows. Been through about 8 globes so far. I'm now thinking it has something to do with the steering column switch / blinker stalk, because I don't have auto lights and the headlight switch remains off. I have found that by turning the park lights on, the low beam won't activate until they it is switched on.
    Am I on the right track? and where can I find the right part number for my model?

1000+ Posts

Hi Arakad
    Welcome to the wacky world of the Comm2000. A brilliant idea that has keep forums amused for ------- well since 2000 or so !
    You could give us your VIN number and we could look it up on the factory site. Or you can look on ebay here, or UK, for seller who will post here. The UK sellers will use the VIN to get the correct one. Ignore the tax/rego/UK indentification asked for. Make sure they will post to Australia as some do not.
    Bon Voyage Jaahn
    PS out here they are not common, but in Europe etc they are as common as --- Holdens are/were here. So they know all about them and Cits and the service parts they need.
    Last edited by jaahn; 21st January 2019 at 10:49 AM.

Tadpole

Thanks Jaahn, yes I've been looking on some of the UK sites and get confused by the variety but good prices - oh and some of them are quoting 3 figure prices for postage! Can you recommend a good seller?
    If I can get the part number that would be great - my vin is VF33C9HZC84944930
    I've just been quoted $780 + postage here in Oz, and still have to pay for fitting!
    Cheers, Kerry.

Default Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement

98 069 976 XT or old number 6242 CC

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

If you handy I'd recommend trying the end bit of the stalk. It's a bit fiddly but not hard. I bought one on Ebay for a dollar, fitted it myself in about half an hour and its pretty much perfect now. However if you need to get a mechanic to do it, he's more likely to toss it and get a new one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    406 D8 V6 manual

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    . . . trying the end bit of the stalk. It's a bit fiddly but not hard. I bought one on Ebay for a dollar, fitted it myself in about half an hour and its pretty much perfect now.. . . [/URL]
    Chris,

What do you mean?

One of my 307s also has a floppy-ish stalk and if there's an easy fix - please tell!

How do you mean "try the end bit of the stalk"?

What's the procedure?

Cheers
    Roland

PS: picture would help!
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Your welcome anyway

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Tadpole

Thanks everyone, I'll see what I can find.
    BTW, just been on Aliexpress for Comm 2000 parts and here's what I came up with - more food for thought,
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ugeot+com+2000

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    98 069 976 XT or old number 6242 CC
    Hi
    There are the numbers from David. Search for those in the UK and see what happens. I have not done that for a while, but I just get the best deal with postage. The item is largish but not heavy. Normal international post from there is usually less than two weeks, or better.
    I have not replaced individual parts my self nor had great success with Aliexpress so I would not go that way. Price is good but the pain may be high The other posters may have some good ideas but sometimes there are multiple odd failures as well as the floppy arm, as yours seem to be.
    Jaahn

My 2cents when I was tracking aa Comm2000 down for the C5 is head to the nearest euro car wreaker or pick a part and take your screw drivers and start looking. If the Comm unit has auto wipers and auto lights on the stalks as well as the rear wiper function take off the steering wheel without breaking the airbag wiring and check the part number.
    From what I read if the unit has more functions than your current its backwards compatible as long as around the same year of manufacturing a changed to Comm2005 after a while.
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Chris,

What do you mean?

One of my 307s also has a floppy-ish stalk and if there's an easy fix - please tell!

How do you mean "try the end bit of the stalk"?

What's the procedure?

Cheers
    Roland

PS: picture would help!
    Roland, I cant add a photo but here's a link to the one I bought. Kind of a plunger that goes in the end of the stalk.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153223035681

This is clip is a good video of how to do it. https://youtu.be/m27z4nlWU5Q

The repair is only for the earlier cars with the DAV coms unit. Tje later Delphi ones are completely different.

It's actually not very hard to do, just fiddly. But I have pulled apart a lot of com units!
    Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Last edited by cav91; 22nd January 2019 at 11:42 PM.
    406 D8 V6 manual

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Just to remind people who may not often order parts by the numbers. You must use the complete number and letters to ensure you get the correct part if that is what you want. The original number, for example 6242CC is a good example. The number stays the same but the letters are the many different versions. The new numbers are possibly new suppliers for the improved replacement.

While I think some people do an amazing job chasing secondhand parts and repairing old complex, badly made, plastic switches, that is not what everyone wants to do. Certainly not if you have to get someone else to do the fitting.
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    Just to remind people who may not often order parts by the numbers. You must use the complete number and letters to ensure you get the correct part if that is what you want. The original number, for example 6242CC is a good example. The number stays the same but the letters are the many different versions. The new numbers are possibly new suppliers for the improved replacement.

While I think some people do an amazing job chasing secondhand parts and repairing old complex, badly made, plastic switches, that is not what everyone wants to do. Certainly not if you have to get someone else to do the fitting.
    Jaahn
    100% hate telling people that a part doesn’t work then sometimes having to charge anyway. Twice

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Tadpole

Well, found, confirmed and ordered a unit from peugeotpartsforsale.com in the UK for the princely sum of about $230 (100 UK pounds + 25 pounds postage).
    Went and saw my local peugeot dealer who is happy to fit it for me for about $110, he also confirmed it's the right part that needs replacing and would cost about $1200 here. They are one of the rare workshops that are prepared to fit parts supplied by owners, so I'm happy to do business with them. Tamworth City Prestige if anyone needs to know.
    I love this little car

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arakad View Post
    Well, found, confirmed and ordered a unit from peugeotpartsforsale.com in the UK for the princely sum of about $230 (100 UK pounds + 25 pounds postage).
    Went and saw my local peugeot dealer who is happy to fit it for me for about $110, he also confirmed it's the right part that needs replacing and would cost about $1200 here. They are one of the rare workshops that are prepared to fit parts supplied by owners, so I'm happy to do business with them. Tamworth City Prestige if anyone needs to know.
    I love this little car
    Hi
    That is a good deal to have it fitted by a proper experienced mechanic
    Jaahn

Idk they only give you like .7 to do them should be able to do in no more that 15min sounds about right

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Tadpole

Well, job completed on Monday and cost $180 in labour & gst (Peugeot dealer workshop). Happy with that, I'm still ahead.
    However they flagged a couple of error codes that they didn't clear,
    P1351 Pre heating relay circuit - could this be a dodgy glow plug? If so, I'm not having starting issues so let it go through to the keeper?
    F000 Engine fuse box (requires fuse box) - Really? Have never had this as an issue on any car ever.. Consequences?
    I want to die in my sleep like Grandpa, not crying and screaming like his pillion!
    '07 Peugeot 307 XS HDi
    '13 Ssangyong Actyon Sports

They are common codes mine had them never chased them up the glowplugs are a pig to do and the fuse box one meh

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information