• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matthew

Thread: Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement

Tadpole

Default Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement

Hi everyone,

I looking for some support on the replacement of a steering column switch (Com2000) on a 307 XSE 2004 model (see photo). I was looking at replacing the switch due to a floppy indicator switch. I have two options. Replace the worn plunger and spring (see photo), or replace the complete column switch. The genuine Peugeot part (column switch) here in Australia at $1200AU. The alternative is a Valeo part at around $250 AU by buying on line (UK purchase point). The Peugeot part number is 96509726XT and it is unlikely that I will find a unit in good condition via a wreckers. I've tried a local Australian based European parts suppliers to buy the Valeo part. No luck so far. However, I was given a some caution by one parts supplier who said that they have heard of people having issues recoding the Valeo part after it has been installed into the vehicle.

Before I go down a particular path, could someone of the forum provide me some understanding of the potential issues about recoding the Valeo part as a replacement option?

Advertisement

Regards Guy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement-plunger-spring.jpg   Peugeot 307 steering column switch replacement-img_6646.jpg  

Try some local wreakers 1st. Check and double check oart number of various other model pug and cit of the same build year and check floppy stalk 1st.

When I was looking for a replacement with the ESP feature no pugs suited but there were plenty to choose from. Max $50 worth a crack..

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

Thanks Dimistyle. I will keep looking.

I have been able to confirm that the info I received from one parts supplier regarding the need to recode after replacing the switch was in fact incorrect.

1000+ Posts

Hi GuySal
    I have assisted two people who purchased a new unit from England. Good prices there and they will give direct replacements for your part number, either the same or a replacement number. So if you are certain of your part number, from a VIN check, then just search for that on Ebay or whatever. Freight is usually good(and quick) but some UK suppliers do not send OS ??? so check that.

It is not hard to change and perhaps there are some Utube videos of it, Citroens too of course ! Just disconnect the battery first so the airbag is not powered, as well as the other wires. The clips for the air bag are a bit hard to find as they are at the front of the steering wheel in the holes. And secure the clock spring and cover with tape or something so it cannot come undone. The steering should be pointing ahead when you start too.

No recoding required.
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

I got one from my service agent for about $600 and its fine. Not sure on brand and it fixed the same floppy non correcting issue.

As mentioned watch the spring, I had to rewind mine a bit and it seems fine. Battery off wait 30 minutes so any residual charge in the airbag dissipates. Be warned, bad battery in BSI can upset things when you go to start things, fortunately not had this so far. Dimi will be your hero there!
    dimistyle likes this.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Tadpole

My daughter has just bought her first Peugeot (307xs Hatch) 2004. Came complete with Floppy indicator switch (insert unimpressed mum face here).

Is this one of those things that we need to replace the entire Com 2000 Unit (I believe that's what it's called, I've done a ton of google) or is it one if I find the right 300yr old European Mechanic/Auto-Sparky I'll be able to just get just the Stalk replaced or better still just the Plunger?

1000+ Posts

The unit is integrated so the full thing should be replaced. I can advise who did mine here in Brisbane if required.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Thread Information