Peugeot 205 gti Fuel Surge
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 205 gti Fuel Surge

I am looking to fit a fuel surge tank on my 205 gti, my preference is to fit a surge tank under the vehicle where the spare wheel would be normally. Has anyone gone down this path? There is about 200 mm vertical distance from the boot floor that could be used safely. What have other members done? What type of pump did you use externally?

Advertisement

My plan is to leave the existing pump in the existing tank and pump to the surge tank. I would then add a new pump to pump the fuel from the surge tank to the engine.
    My thinking is that you would need to power another relay to feed power to the new pump? Comments please.

I currently have a 2L surge tank inside the car but I don't like it. I'm going to build a combined 15L auxiliary/surge tank under the car as you suggested. I have a genuine Bosch 044. Beware of Chinese imitations. One 30A relay can run two pumps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 205 gti Fuel Surge-screen-shot-2018-03-07-10.11.19-am.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I currently have a 2L surge tank inside the car but I don't like it. I'm going to build a combined 15L auxiliary/surge tank under the car as you suggested. I have a genuine Bosch 044. Beware of Chinese imitations. One 30A relay can run two pumps.

Thanks Peter
    a couple of questions
    on your drawing what is the diameter of the circular bit in the centre?

i have seen a picture of your current arrangement showing the spill pot and pump, do you have a cover that seals the spill pot and pump?

Wiring - Would the way to operate the new relay is to pick up the signal that operates the tachymetric relay. Use 87b of the tachymetric relay to operate the new relay and drive the fuel pumps?

Hello Peter have you looked at the under floor surge tanks on eBay,do you think they would be any good?

Fellow Frogger!

I've been looking at this, quite a nice looking setup for a small surge tank. 2.5L Under Car Surge Tank w/Dual Pump Bracket Black
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    I've been looking at this, quite a nice looking setup for a small surge tank. 2.5L Under Car Surge Tank w/Dual Pump Bracket Black
    Yes I have seen those I guess you would block off one outlet as you would only need one pump. It would only drop about 150mm from floor.

on your drawing what is the diameter of the circular bit in the centre? Ø65, probably because I have some of that size.

i have seen a picture of your current arrangement showing the spill pot and pump, do you have a cover that seals the spill pot and pump? yes

Wiring - Would the way to operate the new relay is to pick up the signal that operates the tachymetric relay. Use 87b of the tachymetric relay to operate the new relay and drive the fuel pumps? just run in parallel with the existing pump. Two pumps is still <30A.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

I have a surge tank system on my 309 rally car, the system taken directly from Racing 405s Mi16, fairly small L shaped surge tank, normal 505/405 style external pump. Can take a closer look if you want details.

Thanks Peter

Hello Graham a photo of the set up you have in the 309 would be good.

Thread Information