Air Conditioning regas - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Air Conditioning regas

  1. #26
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    15,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    As you say, possibly OK in car. However I shudder to think what could happen if an evaporator developed a leak with the brushes of fan motor arcing away nearby. You don't need much propane to create an explosive mixture.

    However, not suitable for a bigger system like a 20 kw house system. With charge of upwards of 7 kg.

    Even my incident removing a hi side charging was "exciting" . And that was only a hose full at a pressure of 150 psi or so. The flame plume was pretty impressive.

    And there has already been one incident with a chiller plant using propane based refrigerant being destroyed.

    https://www.coolingpost.com/world-ne...ion-explosion/

    Although authorities are pretty coy about giving a detailed reason.
    wow .... sounds like they vented the refrigerant into the immediate area rather than recovering it. Can anyone say BANG

    Advertisement
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  2. #27
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    17,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    wow .... sounds like they vented the refrigerant into the immediate area rather than recovering it. Can anyone say BANG
    Hydrocarbon refrigerants aren't worth recycling. And technicians aren't required to do so. It's also potentially unsafe to use recovery equipment.

    However R22 with the Government imposed bounty sells from suppliers for around A$80 per kilo. So it's well worth recycling.
    By the way the buy back rate for recovered R22 is only around $3 .

    So most just reuse it after any letting off air off the top.

    Whatever happened in Germany must have resulted in a big bang with huge force. Note the damage to plant enclosure.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  3. #28
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    15,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Hydrocarbon refrigerants aren't worth recycling. And technicians aren't required to do so. It's also potentially unsafe to use recovery equipment.

    However R22 with the Government imposed bounty sells from suppliers for around A$80 per kilo. So it's well worth recycling.
    By the way the buy back rate for recovered R22 is only around $3 .

    So most just reuse it after any letting off air off the top.

    Whatever happened in Germany must have resulted in a big bang with huge force. Note the damage to plant enclosure.
    I don't care about re-using or buy back .... I meant "don't release and explosive gas into your environment"..... You have to recover it.... burnt it in your BBQ if you must.... but recover the stuff!!!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  4. #29
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    17,464

    Default

    Hydrocarbons are everywhere and naturally occurring.

    For example Carbon dioxide.

    I'd be more worried about Cow Farts (methane) than releasing chemically unstable hydrocarbon refrigerants which naturally decompose quite fast.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  5. #30
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    15,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Hydrocarbons are everywhere and naturally occurring.

    For example Carbon dioxide.

    I'd be more worried about Cow Farts (methane) than releasing chemically unstable hydrocarbon refrigerants which naturally decompose quite fast.
    No... I mean, don't release kilograms of an explosive gas into your immediate environment where ................................. you know ............................ they could explode! They probably just release 20kgs of lpg into there work area
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  6. #31
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    17,464

    Default

    Kinda common sense. However, your revised statement is not implicit from you the post to which I replied.

    I don't care about re-using or buy back .... I meant "don't release and explosive gas into your environment"..... You have to recover it.... burnt it in your BBQ if you must.... but recover the stuff!!!
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  7. #32
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,157

    Default Venting LPG !

    Hi
    Years ago(15Y ?) the taxi LPG systems found they had a faulty batch of O ring seals on the tank fittings or something similar. As they were taxis there was some urgency to fix the problem.

    Here in Newcastle they took in the cars in batches and vented the tanks in a vacant area, the old gas works site in the middle of the suburbs, and just let it go. It could be smeled(smelt ?) quite a distance away for days as it was done. Work cover supervised it. I do not know what they did in other places. But I guess the same thing.

    So 300 grams seems a bit miniscule Do we ever throw away that much petrol on the ground !
    Jaahn

  8. #33
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    17,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    Years ago(15Y ?) the taxi LPG systems found they had a faulty batch of O ring seals on the tank fittings or something similar. As they were taxis there was some urgency to fix the problem.

    Here in Newcastle they took in the cars in batches and vented the tanks in a vacant area, the old gas works site in the middle of the suburbs, and just let it go. It could be smeled(smelt ?) quite a distance away for days as it was done. Work cover supervised it. I do not know what they did in other places. But I guess the same thing.

    So 300 grams seems a bit miniscule Do we ever throw away that much petrol on the ground !
    Jaahn
    LPG in taxis is contained in a pressure vessel rated to survive a external fire. The lpg is distributed from the tank in copper or steel lines.

    LPG in aircon systems isn't in a pressure vessel or contained by metallic lines. The Hi side of an auto aircon system can be up to 250psi and ignition sources are everywhere. So are flammable items.

    ULP on the ground will quickly evaporate, So will a small amount of LPG. However LPG in an engine bay ,being heavier than air it can linger.In slow leak scenario.

    Consider my earlier scenario, a slow evaporator leak ignited by the sparking from the fan motor brushes. The lpg will be retained in the ducting.

    I'm not totally against the use of hydrocarbon refrigerants.
    However Anyone who has them used in their vehicle should be able to decide on the safety for themselves.
    Like most things in life there are both good and bad aspects.

    I'm attempting to provide information for members to make an informed choice.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •