Renault Fuego mods - injection and handling
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault Fuego mods - injection and handling

Im about to modify a 1985 Renault Fuego & I'm interested in anyones thoughts, experiances or information on the following:

2.2 litre piston liner kit (is the Fuego engine the same as Volvo/Peugeot/Citroen Douvrin engine? - might make the injection bits easier to get)

Fuel injection - using a Wolf 3D management system & induction manifold, plenum, injectors, fuel rail etc from a R21 or 25 (probably from the UK) - leaving the option of a supercharger in the future.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

I'm also interested in handling & breaking mods.

I'll be trying to get 16" alloys, but has anyone done any brake mods (eg: rear disc brakes) and slightly lowered (about 1") mods such as shorter stiffer springs, koni's & if any drive shaft problems encountered due to change in angles.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

Advertisement

2.2 is a stroked motor, so you need crank and rods, not piston/liners to go to 2.2. Easiest to simply put in an ULP R21/25 motor (shouldnt be too hard to find in Oz - there is a wrecker in Adelaide with a phase 1 R21 manual - just drop the engine and gearbox in from that. The gearbox is the same NG3 as the Fuego, but has a much higher final drive for a relaxing 2400 rpm at 100 kph) complete in with all its original ECU etc. Its been discussed here a bit recently - apparently you can search for the threads.

Get the front suspension uprights and caliper bracket from an R25 - bolts straight in, uses the same calipers but uses a larger diameter disc - easy big brake upgrade for the front. For the rear, if you are keen to get stuff from OS, R21s that had ABS and no turbo (ie 4 stud) bolt straight on. Otherwise, I am looking at Pug 405 rear calipers and R21 rear discs (imported by Carrelvelle) for my R25.

Talk to Mistareno on here re. lowering etc.
    Last edited by Haakon; 8th May 2004 at 05:42 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

The front bottom arms off a 25 when fitted, will also give plenty of neg camber. About 3 degrees, I guess.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    Im about to modify a 1985 Renault Fuego & I'm interested in anyones thoughts, experiances or information on the following:

2.2 litre piston liner kit (is the Fuego engine the same as Volvo/Peugeot/Citroen Douvrin engine? - might make the injection bits easier to get)

Fuel injection - using a Wolf 3D management system & induction manifold, plenum, injectors, fuel rail etc from a R21 or 25 (probably from the UK) - leaving the option of a supercharger in the future.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

I'm also interested in handling & breaking mods.

I'll be trying to get 16" alloys, but has anyone done any brake mods (eg: rear disc brakes) and slightly lowered (about 1") mods such as shorter stiffer springs, koni's & if any drive shaft problems encountered due to change in angles.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
    I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Firstly, yes the Fuego is a Dourvin 4 cylinder. As has been noted by The H man, it is a shorter stroke version of the 2.2 L R21/25 engine.

The 2.0 litre has a squarer bore/stroke ratio and is therefore slightly more revvy in nature.

As for EFI, ask me in 6 months and I'll be able to tell ya

Now for the handling department.

My car has 205/45 R 16's. This size tyre maintains the original rolling radius (to within a mm or 2)

If you were going to spend money on custom wheels, I would get the rear 2 wheels with slightly more offset and the front ones with a little less offset than mine (I will look my offsets up if ya like)

This should allow the use of a 205/50 R16 (same tyre as early WRX and a bigger choice...also slightly more compliant in relation to ride)

As for handling....

DO NOT go to hard with the spring rates.

I would advise no more than 10% stiffer. The lower profile tyres alone will blow your mind. I have NEVER driven a car where just a set of wheels and tyres makes such a massive difference to the car.....I had TRX's prior and lived to tell the tale (not my favorite tyre incase you havent noticed...)

As for ride....well my car seems to be reasonable still.

I have made a few subtle changes along the way.

These have mainly been to improve the ride (without sacrificing handling)

1- Remove the original bumpstop (i swear you may aswell have a lump of wood shoved in there) and replace it with a bumpstop of a R19 or something similar with a more progressive action (they are usually a browny/yellow couloured foam looking material).

2- On the base of the shock absorber, you will find a threaded stud which screws into the top wishbone. If you remove about 1/2 an inch of thread from the end of this, the shocker will still screw in all the way but the vehicle will sit 1 inch lower (1/2 inch at the middle of the wishbone = 1 inch at the wheel)

3- If you feel this is still not low enough, I would get the standard springs compressed by 2 inches (once you allow for preload, It should work out to about 1 inch) This should give you a ride height of about 2.5 inches below standard. I would not go below this point, as you will start running into the bump stops all the time.....As for Konis, they are no longer available in Australia, but there are often New Old Stock advertised on Ebay...

4- Remove the plastic spring covering and get a set of rubber spring isolators from the rear of an EA - EF Falcon. These need to be cut, but once set in position when the springs are unloaded, they will not move....trust me
    This will reduce a bit of the noise that can be translated through the springs into the body.

5- For the rear, just get the original rate springs compressed (please note that there isn't much preload on the rears and if you get a spring compressed by 2 inches, it will sit aobut 1,75 inches lower.....you've been warned.

NB- I am about to put rear discs on the back of my car, and will take some photos when it's all done (and tell you what bits are the go)

Hope this has been of some assistance.

P.S - Check the new galleries to see what height the car sits at and to see if it's what your after...

Seeya

Icon7

The 2.0 litre has a squarer bore/stroke ratio and is therefore slightly more revvy in nature. (I have read elsewhere that the 25/21 bottom end should be mated to Fuego head for the best result. Memories of driving a 25 years ago, do not seem to indicate any lack of revability)

As for EFI, ask me in 6 months and I'll be able to tell ya (Are you using the 25 electronics? My plan-at this time- is to use a WOLF3D management system, so I can tune it how I want, and remain flexible for future forced induction. Possibly looking into getting a 21 turbo engine complete from the UK)

If you were going to spend money on custom wheels, I would get the rear 2 wheels with slightly more offset and the front ones with a little less offset than mine (I will look my offsets up if ya like) Nope – not going custom. Once again, I have read elsewhere that Nissan Pulsar or Honda Civic wheels have the same PCD and offset – any thoughts? Can anyone tell me the PCD and offset of the standard wheels?)

Im only after about an inch all round, as I don’t want a bum scraper. Other than that thanks for the sound suspension advice.

Rear disc’s – Thinking of a Fuego Turbo rear end. Just have to find one.

I have a contact in Adelaide that will get and Koni shocks I need. I will pass on contact info, once I have his permission.

Thanks to everyone on the whole forum for info & help - past, presnt and future,.

Shane

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    I have read elsewhere that the 25/21 bottom end should be mated to Fuego head for the best result. Memories of driving a 25 years ago, do not seem to indicate any lack of revability.
    No, they are also reasonably revvy, but compared to a Fuego engine they are not as sporty.

Are you using the 25 electronics? My plan-at this time- is to use a WOLF3D management system, so I can tune it how I want, and remain flexible for future forced induction. Possibly looking into getting a 21 turbo engine complete from the UK)
    At this stage I am using the later model ULP R21 engine. This has a lot better EFI setup than the cactus R25 system. It also has no AFM...just a MAP....

Nope – not going custom. Once again, I have read elsewhere that Nissan Pulsar or Honda Civic wheels have the same PCD and offset – any thoughts? Can anyone tell me the PCD and offset of the standard wheels..
    yup, same offset and 100mm PCD, you just have to make sure that the center hole of the wheel is big enough....The Fuego's have a rather large 62mm (from memory) centre hole.

The only reason I would get custom made wheels is to increase the rear track....there is plenty of space under those wheel arches if you get a bit more offset....

Im only after about an inch all round, as I don’t want a bum scraper. Other than that thanks for the sound suspension advice.
    My car is about 2 inches lower than standard all round....most people dont think it's lowered........It doesn't really LOOK low, just looks what would be "normal" for most cars. I have never bottomed it out, even over the rough and twisty AF CRUISE near eildon last year...

Rear disc’s – Thinking of a Fuego Turbo rear end. Just have to find one.
    The only thing different is the calipers and discs...everything else is the same....

I am looking at using more, um..."available" parts....I'll post some photos when I'm done...

I have a contact in Adelaide that will get and Koni shocks I need. I will pass on contact info, once I have his permission.
    That would be great. Are you sure they are New?

I know several people make enquiries, only to be told they are no longer made by KONI. Keep us posted...

Default Koni's no loner made

Sorry guys, you were right. The Koni's are no longer made. He is currently investigating a couple of sources for NOS.
    I'll post reply - if and when any becomes available.

However:
    BILSTEIN B4 - Gas
    Front BNE-2008
    Rear BNE-1938
    Last edited by Jack Daniel; 25th May 2004 at 12:56 PM.

mistareno,

If you were going to spend money on custom wheels, I would get the rear 2 wheels with slightly more offset and the front ones with a little less offset than mine (I will look my offsets up if ya like)

This should allow the use of a 205/50 R16 (same tyre as early WRX and a bigger choice...also slightly more compliant in relation to ride)

Standard Fuego offset is 38mm (to the best of the info I can find).

Having a look at the attached diagram, for the rears, do you mean by "increase the offset" as extending the wheel more under the body(toward the centre of the car), or "increase the offset" by extending the wheel more toward the edge of the wheelarch (which will actually be "reducing the offset)?

This looks like the way I will go to use the 50 series tyres, and at $200 a wheel, I want to get it right. Mind you if i got 2 of each they would have to fit on one axle line.

There seems to be a whole heap of wheels with 35mm and 40mm offsets, but Im not sure that a couple of mm will make any difference.

Thoughts anyone????
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator

Ooops, my bad

Yes reduced offset at the rear...

The offset will need to be right as the fronts will rub the gaurds otherwise.

I am running "off the shelf wheels" and have no rubbing issues whatsoever with 205/45R16's.

I might possibly get away with a 205/50 R16 but it would be very squeezy on the rear inside edge.

If I was to get a set made up I would want to increase the track at the rear slightly to increase the clearance (to fit the 50 profile tyres)

FWIW - From what I have seen, you might be better of to go with a 205/45 R16. They actually seem more common and are about $20 a tyre cheaper on average because of it....

I am pretty happy with the way my car rides on the 45's (although the new shocks I brought are shite and feel worse than the 200K old genuine shocks that I replaced purely due to age )

P.S - I will be taking the wheels off my car to clean them for Renault Round-up so I will have a look then...........I promise

Default Compressed springs?

Compressed springs have been mentioned.
    How do you get the springs compressed?

WaTtieS

In regards to the PCD of Fuego rims, they are actually 98mm so Pulsar and Civic rims will be the wrong size

A friend of mine had 100mm PCD wheels on his Fuego and couldn't work out why he was going through so many hubs until he checked out the actual size

Don't take my word for it though, give a tyre shop a call and get them to double check

Cheers,
    WaTtieS

Administrator

All Fuegos have a 100PCD.

What were the rims from??

WaTtieS

His rims were after market, but I just remember him telling me that he thought they were 100 PCD, but then he found out they were 98.

I'm not saying that I'm right. All that I'm saying is that I have heard otherwise, so if I were Jack, I'd check it out before getting new wheels.

Cheers,
    WaTtieS

WaTtieS

Opps my bad
    They are 100 PCD after all
    Spoke to my mate and I had it the wrong way around
    It was the wheels that were 98 PCD, not the stud pattern

Sorry for any confusion
    WaTtieS

Tadpole

HI THERE. the renault fuego is a good car. it was very underated in the uk where the r18 sold better. there are various ways that it can be tuned. if you can get hold of one you could use a fuego or R18 turbo. try and get a mark 2 model which has more power and rear discs as standard. you could also use running gear from a R20, R25, R21 SERIES 1 or if you want a porsche eating machine go for a R30 with V6 fuel injection. (this will involve a bit of modification). the fuego is basicly a coupe version of the 18. i did once have a contact in australia that had done the V6 conversion but it is a long time since i had any dealings with him. all i know is that his name was david and he had dealings with the renault owners club in the UK. I was once the r18 regestrar in the club but have long since finished in the club.

Thread Information