S16 gearbox
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: S16 gearbox

VIP Sponsor

Default S16 gearbox

Am I right in thinking that all I need to do to fit an s16 box to a 205 is to change over the pull clutch actuating lever/shaft to a 205 one? That along with changing the gearshift lever of course.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Am I right in thinking that all I need to do to fit an s16 box to a 205 is to change over the pull clutch actuating lever/shaft to a 205 one? That along with changing the gearshift lever of course.
    That's all I did when I put a gti6 box into the 205. Change from push clutch to pull and clutch cable.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Yep.

Its a good box Imo. There is a small gap from 2-3rd but not that bad.

Yep.

Its a good box Imo. There is a small gap from 2-3rd but not that bad.

Same as Mi16, so should be fine.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

I'm refreshing an engine for my club motorsport Si, thought the S16 box at the same time would do wonders for low speed pick up in 2nd and also get rid the gap between first and second.

VIP Sponsor

S16 Box fitted along with 205 Si driveshafts. The S16 diff has larger components.
    The LHS, shorter, driveshaft sticks out of the box further than usual, quite a bit further actually, I thought that maybe the bigger planetary gear shaft was preventing the 205 shaft from going in further, but the shafts all seem to be the same in those dimensions. The RHS driveshaft with the bearing and hockey sticks bolts sits normally. There is only 1mm clearance between the end of a driveshaft and a standard small diff planetary shaft. I think what they have done is to offset the diff to the left so the lhs driveshaft compensates for the extra width of the diff, by compressing the shaft length and the RHS stays the same as the distance between the intermediate bearing and the diff can't change.
    CEyssens likes this.

VIP Sponsor

All in and working great, the different gearbox is a big improvement, as well as better acceleration, it also cruises better now, as at 100km/h it is doing more than 3000 rpm which is where the XU5Mz engines come on song, so will climb highway hills better. Probably now just need to fit a Megasquirt 1 fuel only ECU I have lying around, to smooth out the power delivery. Hope the CAS will drive both the original Marelli and the Megasquirt connected in parallel. and that the Marelli is only looking at vacuum and revs for its ignition table.

Good to hear it worked out Graham. im now running a close ratio be3 with 4.06 FD in my si. The centre is from a s16 and looks to be stronger than a std be3 centre.

i often wondered what the si marelli ecu needed for spark? is it just revs and vacuum? Do you think ignition would cope with any cam timing changes? im thinking a gti cam in my si with an improved inlet and carburetor to get away from the restrictive si inlet.

VIP Sponsor

As I've said before I don't think the Si inlet is restrictive if maximum power is at 6400, same as S1 Mi16. Had a rethink about the Megasquirt 1 , it doesn't have a 60-2 decoder so I will run it off the coil pack primaries, using a pair of diodes to connect. A bit busy at the moment with upgrades to the 309 and getting a 405 on the road for my son.
    A mate has fitted up the Si management in his Si to a 1.6 GTi engine, he says it goes very well. I need to have a drive and report back.
    The 205 Si went up Gap Hill near Sunbury yesterday at 3500, which is 110 km/h, easily with no drop in speed.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    As I've said before I don't think the Si inlet is restrictive if maximum power is at 6400, same as S1 Mi16. Had a rethink about the Megasquirt 1 , it doesn't have a 60-2 decoder so I will run it off the coil pack primaries, using a pair of diodes to connect. A bit busy at the moment with upgrades to the 309 and getting a 405 on the road for my son.
    A mate has fitted up the Si management in his Si to a 1.6 GTi engine, he says it goes very well. I need to have a drive and report back.
    The 205 Si went up Gap Hill near Sunbury yesterday at 3500, which is 110 km/h, easily with no drop in speed.
    With the gti running gear and close ratio box in my si it feels like I have an extra 20-30hp under the bonnet but more power would be nice.

Thread Information