504 incontinence problems
  • Register
  • Help
    EMC

Default 504 incontinence problems

nooooooo!

i'm so sad... My 504 is finally starting to show it's age... with about 175K on the clock it's developing problems with leakage...

within the last 2 weeks things have *suddenly* stopped working properly.

My clutch/brake fluid is leaking out somehow... I think it's one of the hoses down the bottom of the cylinder...i'm going to check this properly on monday,

but now I also have major radiator leakage... I'm not sure where the leak is, but there doesnt appear to be any water dripping from the actual radiator itself...

Advertisement

Also along with this i've suddenly developed a fuel leak from the side of the engine just under the carby. It flows out rather fast (only when the engine is turned on) and i can't make out how it's escaping. I'm going to check everything tomorrow (when it's daytime) and see if there are any loose screws etc, but from a visual inspection I cant see anything wrong...

does anyone have any hints or tips?
    Last edited by EMC; 1st July 2005 at 04:35 PM.
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

ok

brake fluid - the first place to look is inside the car and down the master cylinder for signs of fluid

the clutch master will leak into the car normally

check for water in the oil if you can't find a leak anywhere in the cooling system

fuel leak could just be the pump leaking

as for cold air

look in a thread called LRP where to now as i have an attachment there about cold air for 504/505
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

EMC

thanks... must have missed that thread...
    You dont know where to get any flexible hose from? I just thought it would be easier that way
    Last edited by EMC; 1st July 2005 at 04:36 PM.
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

Clutch... it sounds like you're saying there's a leak that is evident under the car?

If so, just pull the boot away from the slave cylinder and see if it's full of fluid... if so, the cylinder is the problem. But you might be right about the hose... the hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder is a likely culprit, in which case the fluid could be dripping onto your exhaust and causing an acrid smell while driving, and simply dripping to the floor when stopped.

Radiator... check the water pump... run your fingers under the hoses there and see if there is a moist trail. If you do have a leak, loosen your radiator cap to reduce system pressure when you drive, this will allow you to drive further between top-ups.

You mention that the petrol leak is 'just under the carby'... in which case it won't be the fuel pump, which is further forward and further down.

Look for a diaphragm problem with the accelerator pump, even loose screws on that housing (if you're real lucky!), a cracked hose, or is there a loose hose on an inline filter there?

Or is there a needle and seat problem at times that causes the carby float bowl to overfill? If there is you will be having problems getting the car to idle.

Icon7

EMC,

I have the same problem with my 7/77 504. The brake fluid is leaking out of the clutch master cylinder and it drips into the driver's floor. I have a kit for the cylinder somewhere in the shed but it looks like a bugger of a job so I've put it off. Keep the brake fluid in the reservoir topped up or you will find you'll be out of brakes one day. Not a good scene.

Once you've fixed the cylinder there's a way to bleed it by connecting it to a brake caliper and using the brake pedal to bleed the air out. I've never done this but someone here will be able to tell you how it's done.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    EMC,

I have the same problem with my 7/77 504. The brake fluid is leaking out of the clutch master cylinder and it drips into the driver's floor. I have a kit for the cylinder somewhere in the shed but it looks like a bugger of a job so I've put it off. Keep the brake fluid in the reservoir topped up or you will find you'll be out of brakes one day. Not a good scene.

Once you've fixed the cylinder there's a way to bleed it by connecting it to a brake caliper and using the brake pedal to bleed the air out. I've never done this but someone here will be able to tell you how it's done.

Matt.
    Reverse flushing the clutch is easy in practice, but it has never worked for me. I have read in books though that you can bleed the slave like you do the brakes? not sure if this works but its what i have read.

Reverse bleeding is connecting a flexiable pipe to the bleed nipples of the left brake nipple and the clutch slave cyclinder. The pipe has to be filled with fluid before you start. Brake fluid does not taste nice.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

EMC

I can't find any radiator leak anywhere... the only thing is that when i start up the car, the radiator fluid rises & so it starts dribbling out the overflow hose.... i'm not sure if that helps

the petrol leak is...well... near the carby... not exactly underneath, but slightly fowards and down, so it might be the fuel pump... i dont know what any of these things look like though ^_^

its kind of round & has several screws in it & is leaking from underneath
    hehehehe

there are no loose screws (that i can find) and no cracked pipes... its coming out from in between what looks likea join between the engine block and part of the carby... i'm not really sure

no problems with idling though...

sorry i cant be more helpful, i dont really know what is what...
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

Is it the leaking fluid oil or petrol? How much is leaking?

My carbi has a small prtol leak at the base, something that i should probably fix.

I had an oil leak recently from the base of my fuel pump. The gasket had gone so i just used gasket goo and it seems to work fine.

Is the liquid. oil or petrol sitting under the fuel pump?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

EMC

the leak is definitely coming from the fuel pump... going to get it fixed on monday along with the radiator & any other problems...

she still runs fine... but i'd prefer not to have things leaking
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by EMC
    the leak is definitely coming from the fuel pump... going to get it fixed on monday along with the radiator & any other problems...

she still runs fine... but i'd prefer not to have things leaking
    Okay, Oil or petrol?

Petrol is harder to fix than oil.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

EMC

petrol

i'm not fixing it tho (personally)
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by EMC
    petrol

i'm not fixing it tho (personally)
    Best of luck with it all i guess. If its not a broken pipe, the fuel pump diaphram may have died.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Thread Information