Thoughts on Powerflex Black wishbone bushes? Peugeot 205
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By speaksgeek

Thread: Thoughts on Powerflex Black wishbone bushes? Peugeot 205

Default Thoughts on Powerflex Black wishbone bushes? Peugeot 205

Hi All,

I've purchased some new suspension for my 205 gti and looking to refresh some of the surrounding parts, in particular the wishbone bushes.

The guys in the UK have mixed reviews on the powerflex purple range, they recommend genuine Peugeot ones instead which are no longer available (Part # 359907).

The powerflex black range is a little more stiffer and aimed for track use. Does anyone have any experience with these on the road? I'd like to keep vibration and noise to a minimum which I've read can be a side effect of these?

Advertisement

Or, should I be looking to replace the entire wishbone instead? Any thoughts on a good aftermarket brand?

Thanks
    current S1 205 GTI + S3 306 GTI6
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Quote Originally Posted by moeozz View Post
    Hi All,

I've purchased some new suspension for my 205 gti and looking to refresh some of the surrounding parts, in particular the wishbone bushes.

The guys in the UK have mixed reviews on the powerflex purple range, they recommend genuine Peugeot ones instead which are no longer available (Part # 359907).

The powerflex black range is a little more stiffer and aimed for track use. Does anyone have any experience with these on the road? I'd like to keep vibration and noise to a minimum which I've read can be a side effect of these?

Or, should I be looking to replace the entire wishbone instead? Any thoughts on a good aftermarket brand?

Thanks
    It funny this thread comes up today... Last night I removed my lower control arms getting ready for new engine. I had installed purple bushes about 3 - 4 years back and they are in fantastic condition. I could not believe my eyes as I was expecting them to be absolutely minced after attending of the track days I have been on. Everything else to the front end that was not uprated for track was stuffed. Sway bar pins, tie rod ends and even cv boots, all installed new at the same time - rooted! So I'm a fan of purple, haven't tried black.

I'm weary of anything the poms say that relates to under car stuff. Remember it's rains, snows, blizzards for twelve months of the year over there and what do they do, throw salt on it. Every picture / video I watch relating to under car repair shows premature aging.

Poly pushes are so much easier to put in too.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Black Powerflex in mine for a year or so. I can't see any problems with them.

(The bushes in my new Valeo replacement wishbones only lasted about 12 months).
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

You can still get original Peugeot bushes but not from the UK. Look further afield.

They are a pain in the dorongo to replace though and you have to make your own tools, which need to be very close in tolerance and tough as nails to push old bushes out and new bushes in without destroying anything (the metal is very thin and it will bend easily if you don't push absolutely square on it). I ended up cutting some hole saws of appropriate diameters to use as spacers. Around 30$-40$ a piece, I destroyed three so total cost 100$-120$ but I did the job perfectly. I could have turned something on my lathe but all the materials I had were too big and it would have taken forever to turn down on my small lathe.

You ca also find Powerflex bushes here, only they are called Power Pro or something like that. Same material. Nolathane make bushes that fit as well. The only problem is you have to mix and match because they are not going to be labelled for your car. Find a shop that stocks a broad range and go in with your bush and you'll find them.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

In my experience the powerflex black bushes are excellent on road and track but massively overpriced. You can get a set of Super Pro bushes locally, (specifically for the 205 - Wholesale Suspension, Arndell Park), for half the price of Powerflex and they perform the same.

Not sure why anyone would fit genuine front bushes to anything other than a concourse vehicle.

+1 also for the black Powerflex bushes. They're easy to replace if you drop the sub-frame down.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    In my experience the powerflex black bushes are excellent on road and track but massively overpriced. You can get a set of Super Pro bushes locally, (specifically for the 205 - Wholesale Suspension, Arndell Park), for half the price of Powerflex and they perform the same.

Not sure why anyone would fit genuine front bushes to anything other than a concourse vehicle.
    Super Pro, that's the name.

As for genuine bushes, why not? That is what the designer designed, they must have tested it, most people the world over drive on them and have good impressions about it.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 17th January 2018 at 05:28 PM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thanks all. Will look into the powerflex black or super pro’s
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Fellow Frogger!

All vehicles (below say, $5 million) are a compromise of cost, assembly ease, and performance when designed.
    The OEM part is not always the last word on performance or any other measure, although it's usually a good compromise.

But I expect you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

As for genuine bushes, why not? That is what the designer designed, they must have tested it, most people the world over drive on them and have good impressions about it.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    All vehicles (below say, $5 million) are a compromise of cost, assembly ease, and performance when designed.
    The OEM part is not always the last word on performance or any other measure, although it's usually a good compromise.

But I expect you know that.
    So what you're sayin' is that Bugatti, Ferrari, McLaren and so on buy their bushings from Superflex?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    So what you're sayin' is that Bugatti, Ferrari, McLaren and so on buy their bushings from Superflex?
    More likely they get them from Peugeot.
    BIGRR likes this.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

VIP Sponsor

I've got Super Pros in the 309 rally car, no problem and half the price. They are made by Fulcrum Suspension in Brisbane.

On another note SASIC bushes for 205 Si LCAs are terrible, way too soft, so I've been using bargain basement complete arms for my 205 competition car, They are only just starting to pull apart after 18 months of use on very rough roads in many events so cheap is not always bad.

use on
    Quote Originally Posted by moeozz View Post
    Thanks all. Will look into the powerflex black or super pro’s

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    More likely they get them from Peugeot.

Well, considering those cars are all under 5 mil$ some compromise is to be expected.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I've got Super Pros in the 309 rally car, no problem and half the price. They are made by Fulcrum Suspension in Brisbane.
    Do you have a contact at Fulcrum, they worked on my 205 about 27 years ago and did a bloody good job, drove on rails for a while.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway

VIP Sponsor

No just noticed it when I looked it up on line, I remember them being around for a while.

Fulcrum does indeed manufacturer super pro. I called their head office and they directed me to a local dealer.

I ordered a mix of both super pro and powerflex:

• Superpro Control Arm Bush Kit - SPF1424K
    • Powerflex Black Anti Roll Bar Bush 17mm - PFF50-215-17BLK
    • Powerflex Bump Stop - BS007
    • New left + right lower control arms
    Last edited by moeozz; 19th January 2018 at 12:08 AM.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

I seem to remember having problems with the Powerflex bushes some time ago. They were soft as marshmallows. This was some 10 years ago, but the material was definitely different from the Super Pro material.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 19th January 2018 at 02:35 PM.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I had the purple Powerflex, not in a Renault, that disintegrated within a few months. Put it down to their lack of "omni" movement as the suspension did its thing.

VIP Sponsor

The ones in my 309 don't twist, you can push the wishbone up and down with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    I had the purple Powerflex, not in a Renault, that disintegrated within a few months. Put it down to their lack of "omni" movement as the suspension did its thing.

Thread Information