• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dieselman
  • 1 Post By Gilligan
  • 1 Post By WLB

Thread: 505GTD Hard to start

Default 505GTD Hard to start

I have a diesel 505 that is hard to start, to the point that I need to use Start Ya Bastard if it's cold. I've got a pretty solid hunch that it's a glow plug issue, so I want to test them. Problem is, when I went for a look I couldn't see them or where they might be. Any hints or tips?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I have a diesel 505 that is hard to start, to the point that I need to use Start Ya Bastard if it's cold. I've got a pretty solid hunch that it's a glow plug issue, so I want to test them. Problem is, when I went for a look I couldn't see them or where they might be. Any hints or tips?
    Near the injectors.
    They should have a wire connected to all 4 in series.
    They have a 10mm hex to undo them from memory.
    Gilligan likes this.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselman View Post
    Near the injectors.
    They should have a wire connected to all 4 in series.
    They have a 10mm hex to undo them from memory.
    Just the man I was hoping would see my query! I saw the wire hopping from plug to plug but when I looked closer thought they might just be be the injectors. Thanks for the info.
    dieselman likes this.

WLB

When you have time, consider rewiring the glow plugs to make it easier to test them and locate the faulty one. I've made this modification to both 505 SRDTs that I've owned, and to the 406 SRDT.
    Remove the common wire and instead run a separate wire from each plug to a convenient location.

Here are some old photos I took of the 505 for an article in PCCV's Torque mag. in 2004.
    I have a pdf of the original article, with photos and notes, but it's too large to upload. If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

505GTD Hard to start-glow-plug-3.jpg 505GTD Hard to start-glow-plug-1.jpg 505GTD Hard to start-glow-plug-2.jpg
    Gilligan likes this.

I have tested the glow plugs, all are getting power, three out of four are black as the ace of spades and one is a light grey similar to a spark plug that's been burning a very lean mixture, so that one works.

I have also determined that the timer box is on its way out, the one plug that still glows only glows for about a second and a half before going out.

I have spoken to Paul at Universe Motors in Richmond, Vic. He recommended that if the timer box was on its way out/stuffed then to bypass it and just wire in a plunger style switch, instead of trying to find one to replace.

Maybe this is the last time I'll have to fix it...

Thread Information