205 gti 6 runs hotter. Delete rigid coolant bypass?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 gti 6 runs hotter. Delete rigid coolant bypass?

Hi all. Not a pressing issue just tidying stuff up on my car. It has new thermostat with bakerbm alloy radiator. Not far off red when on boost (you read that right). Also running oil to water cooler.

Advertisement

Im putting a shroud on it as well. Noticed that running the heater makes a fair difference. Not sure if too much water is going past the core and radiator and only through the pipe? Any one else got rid of the rigid bypass pipe on any 306 or 205 converted car? If its not needed rather get rid of it
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    Hi all. Not a pressing issue just tidying stuff up on my car. It has new thermostat with bakerbm alloy radiator. Not far off red when on boost (you read that right). Also running oil to water cooler.

Im putting a shroud on it as well. Noticed that running the heater makes a fair difference. Not sure if too much water is going past the core and radiator and only through the pipe? Any one else got rid of the rigid bypass pipe on any 306 or 205 converted car? If its not needed rather get rid of it
    Ya know, when I bought my last thermostat I noticed (after I pulled it back out) that it was marked 3 degrees hotter thy an the one that was originally in the car. Because of this, I noticed a marked rise on the temperature gauge. No matter where I look now I can't find a new thermostat with the original ones temp. (can't even remember what it was now).

I got rid of the water / oil intercooler too. It would do even less than it should on a turbo engine.

I also looking at the electric waterpump idea but for N/A I really don't see a benifet but in your situation, I would flow alot more coolant.

Oh and try "water wetter" for coolant.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Post pics of your radiator & intercooler setup in car.
    What size thermo fans?
    What dimensions are the radiator?
    205 header tank?
    System properly bled?
    Water pump leaking?
    Properly working radiator cap?
    What weight engine oil are you running?
    What ECU? Tuned or not?

Oil heat exchangers do put a fair bit of heat into the cooling system. The bypass hose could be the straw breaking the camels back but it should not be the issue. There are plenty of GTi6 205's running them without overheating issues. Sounds more like a radiator cooling issue.

Not sure if too much water is going past the core and radiator and only through the pipe?
    IF that were the case, and the radiator had good airflow, you expect to see a large temp drop through the core of the radiator.

Then again, if airflow through radiator was inadequate, it really wouldn't matter how much or little coolant flowed through the radiator, as none of it's heat would be removed to the surrounding air and the temp drop through the core would be minimal.

Jo

Thread Information