1988 205 CTi Heating fan not working
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 1988 205 CTi Heating fan not working

Hi, My heating fan for the demister has stopped working, It's wintertime and it's getting dangerous driving without one . I took it to an auto electrician and he said it needed a new resistor or something. Anyway, is the assembly easy to get at? Can't I just go to the wreckers and get an old unit from a 205 or a 309?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by supersi
    Hi, My heating fan for the demister has stopped working, It's wintertime and it's getting dangerous driving without one . I took it to an auto electrician and he said it needed a new resistor or something. Anyway, is the assembly easy to get at? Can't I just go to the wreckers and get an old unit from a 205 or a 309?
    I had an old S3 GTi which also had the cooling fan die. Apart from having to pull apart most of the dash on the left hand side, it cost me about $9 for a set of new bushes for the fan motor when it died. Took me a full days work though, mostly pulling the dash apart and reassembling.

I went to 2 auto electricians and both said they weren't interested in the job. An old unit is likely to suffer the same fate from a wreckers. The main problem with these fans is that, in their wisdom, Peugeot wired them so that they never actually turn off. If you have the key at auxillary or ignition, the fan is running, which leads to a very short life.

I've never heard of a fan dieing due to a bad resistor.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

The fan should be easy to extract.
    It will be the module nearby. An ECU thingy. Speak to a Pug dealer or enthusiast. They will know. It's a common problem, ey.

I remember it only taking 5 minutes to get the fan out????
    Huh. Did they change from S1 to S3??

Most of the modules at wreckers will be rooted eh.
    I don't remember it costing much new though. But I been wrong before!

3 self tappers and it's out! To test, connect 12V directly to the motor and hang on. I doubt if it's the control module.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

In fact I seem to remember that a dodgy module leaves the thing stuck on first speed, or something along those lines, as opposed to not working at all.
    Yeah it prollly is the fan. i think I had to clean and re-lube both of my fans to make em work again.

Default 205 Interior fan stuffed.

I figure it's about time I got the fan working in my car, and seeing as the aircon doesn't work, it'll be pretty hot in my car this summer. The Hayne's manual doesn't seem to say anything about the interior fan (unless I've missed it). Do I need to dismantle half the dash or is it easy to get to the fan?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    3 self tappers and it's out! To test, connect 12V directly to the motor and hang on. I doubt if it's the control module.
    If it is just 3 self tappers that would be much easier Where is it located?
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

stick your head down where the passengers right foot would be and look up and back slightly[a torch will be handy].when i got my 1987 205 gti the deal was to install a new fan.he paid for it to be installed and when i took it to his mechanic it took the guy about five-ten minutes to put it in.just be patient with the wiring clips if their old they can be brittle if near heat all the time and make sure you plug the new one down firmly as mine was half in/out and was intermitent untill i took the fan out and pushed it back in properly.
    i dont know why the other guy took his dash apart,unless the s3 are different-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    stick your head down where the passengers right foot would be and look up and back slightly[a torch will be handy].when i got my 1987 205 gti the deal was to install a new fan.he paid for it to be installed and when i took it to his mechanic it took the guy about five-ten minutes to put it in.just be patient with the wiring clips if their old they can be brittle if near heat all the time and make sure you plug the new one down firmly as mine was half in/out and was intermitent untill i took the fan out and pushed it back in properly.
    i dont know why the other guy took his dash apart,unless the s3 are different-BAZZ
    Thanks Bazz Man that is pretty darn easy to get to. I don't know why they don't mention it in the Haynes manual
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

I got the Heater blower motor out (as they seem to call it in the Hayne's manual). And after supplying it with 12 volts I found out that the fan still works... So the problem lies elsewhere. It definitely isn't the fuse because if that fuse was blown I think most of the gauges on the dash wouldn't work, and I've double checked the fuse anyway.
    Now, from looking at the wiring diagrams, the problem is either in the Heater blower motor control unit or the Heater blower speed control unit or then possibly some of the wires.
    Has anyone had any problems with either of these two units? Am I now going to have to pull the dash apart to get to either of these?
    Thanks for your help in advance
    Sam
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

Icon5

Somebody?
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SamR
    Somebody?
    Sam

I think your problem will be with the control unit for the fan... see this post and scroll down to my comments:
    306 heater/air con fan

On the 205, (at least the SI that my daughter has and the GTI that my son had) the thyristor speed controller is close to the fan positioned in a slot that allows cooling of the heat sink from the air that passes through the car and the heater.

So the air will be moist at times and what happens is that the heat sink and attached electronics become corroded and (most likely your problem) an earth wire or two that are rivetted to the heat sink develop a poor connection... then the fan stops working. Or the fan may work intermittently.

The problem is easy enough to fix by either resoldering all connections and or running a parallel earth wire.

Of course it could be a faulty relay and / or fuse but you can check that easily enough.

cheers

Denis

Hi Denis,
    thanks for your reply. Is the control unit accessible the same way as the fan, i.e. without dismantling the dash?
    I had a look under the dash and there appears to be something with a plug and a bunch of wires going in to it a bit to the right (driver's side) of where the fan is and above this plug, in the ducting is what could be a heat sink. Is this the control unit?

Sam
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Sam

Hi Denis,
    thanks for your reply. Is the control unit accessible the same way as the fan, i.e. without dismantling the dash?
    Yes

I had a look under the dash and there appears to be something with a plug and a bunch of wires going in to it a bit to the right (driver's side) of where the fan is and above this plug, in the ducting is what could be a heat sink. Is this the control unit?

Sam
    Yes - that's it ... I think there are two screws that secure it in place..
    Also, you'll probaly find that the control unit is covered in dirt/crap build up from the air flow.

Denis

Great Hopefully I'll soon have a working fan for this summer.
    Thanks again for your help

Sam
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

Thread Information