ECU tuning/remapping a 2015 165THP engine?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By huit
  • 1 Post By SilverGTi_6

Thread: ECU tuning/remapping a 2015 165THP engine?

Tadpole

Default ECU tuning/remapping a 2015 165THP engine?

Hi all

Long time lurker but first time poster here

Just wondering if any has had local experience remapping/reflashing a late model 165THP ECU?

I'm looking into remapping my 2015 C4 Picasso (5-seater). "Why would you bother?" you may ask... well I traded in a Renault RS250 Megane for it, thinking that would be my last sports car, I've had a good run and I should retire and become a sensible suburban daggy dad.

Advertisement

Well the bug is biting again, we're not in a position to have a second car (not my opinion btw), while the Picasso is never going to come close to being sporty - it does handle quite well if you push it mind you - a little more power from the 165THP engine wouldn't go amiss especially with the snappy 6-speed auto and paddle shifters.

Anyway, approached eTuners only to be told the 2015 Picasso can't be tuned via the OBD port - not sure why that is (encryption?) or whether it's a case of can't do/won't do - but if it's true that might mean the other option is to use a piggy-back system, but looking at the cab-forward design of the car and the limited access to the engine, the throttle position sensor is going to be hard to get at.

So anyone who's had success tuning a late model THP engine, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Welcome to !!!

Just wondering if you got anywhere with RaceChip, DTE or Haltech ?

Did etuners say they couldn't do it with FlasherTHP and Lionheart ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    Welcome to !!!

Just wondering if you got anywhere with RaceChip, DTE or Haltech ?

Did etuners say they couldn't do it with FlasherTHP and Lionheart ?

Cheers

Justin
    Haven't tried RaceChip, DTE or Haltech, I know RaceChip has a distributor in Sydney, might be worth checking them out but thought I should just ask around first to see if anyone on the forum has tried flashing a Picasso or any late model PSA cars with the Prince engine.

The local eTuners guy didn't say a lot, just said the 2015 C4 Picasso coudn't be tuned via the OBD port. I had a bluetooth OBD2 scanner which allows me to look at boost levels, oil temperature, oil pressures etc via an app, which worked fine on the Renault but I couldn't get any reading on the Citroen, so that leads me to think there must be some sort of anti tampering measure on the newer ECUs? Asked eTuners in Greece but never got a reply.

I'd suggest there are probably "tricked" chips available.

However the ECU may need to have the processor removed and asocket fitted, to enable a processor/chip with custom firmware and software installed.

Life is not meant to be easy.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I'd suggest there are probably "tricked" chips available.

However the ECU may need to have the processor removed and asocket fitted, to enable a processor/chip with custom firmware and software installed.

Life is not meant to be easy.
    I suspect you were thinking of a piggy-back system which tricks the ECU - there's a few options available in Europe, I'm still looking at what's available locally besides RaceChip. Don't think it'll ever get as drastic as physically modifying the ECU itself.

Life was plenty easy when I owned a VW or a Renault, at least when it comes to ECU remapping options . You'd have thought there'd be heaps of options given BMW/Mini shared the same engine with PSA.

Quote Originally Posted by huit View Post
    I suspect you were thinking of a piggy-back system which tricks the ECU - there's a few options available in Europe, I'm still looking at what's available locally besides RaceChip. Don't think it'll ever get as drastic as physically modifying the ECU itself.

Life was plenty easy when I owned a VW or a Renault, at least when it comes to ECU remapping options . You'd have thought there'd be heaps of options given BMW/Mini shared the same engine with PSA.
    No, I'm thinking of vehicles with mask programmed ROM in their ECUs, which requires the processor to be replaced to reprogram the inbuilt ROM.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    No, I'm thinking of vehicles with mask programmed ROM in their ECUs, which requires the processor to be replaced to reprogram the inbuilt ROM.
    Ah. Learn something new everyday
    Nagaman likes this.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm really surprised that etuners can't do it when they list the following models that they can do :

Peugeot 207 XS/GT/THP/Rallye - 1.6 Turbo 150HP
    Peugeot 207 RC 1.6T 175HP
    Peugeot 208 1.6T 156hp
    Peugeot 208 GTI 200hp
    Peugeot 308 1.6T 150-156-175HP
    Peugeot 3008 1.6T 150hp/156hp
    Peugeot 508 1.6T
    Peugeot 5008 1.6T
    Peugeot RCZ 1.6T 156hp
    Peugeot RCZ 1.6T 200hp
    Citroen C4 1.6T 150HP
    Citroen DS3 1.6T 156HP/163hp
    Citroen DS3 Racing 1.6T 200HP
    Citroen DS4 Racing 1.6T 200hp
    Citroen DS4 1.6T 156 hp
    Citroen DS5 1.6T

I don't think you're going to find anyone on here who is writing code, and so I think you're going to have to pursue the established brands.

A few years ago I was after a new 'chip' for a particular brand of bike. Since it was a new model there wasn't an existing version available so I came to an agreement with an established company interstate to use my bike for the development process (time on a load dyno), and I would score a free 'chip' out of it (remember when the process was to replace the EPROM in the zif socket ? not even an EEPROM.....). Maybe you could arrange to have the development done on your car.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Tadpole

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm really surprised that etuners can't do it when they list the following models that they can do :

Peugeot 207 XS/GT/THP/Rallye - 1.6 Turbo 150HP
    Peugeot 207 RC 1.6T 175HP
    Peugeot 208 1.6T 156hp
    Peugeot 208 GTI 200hp
    Peugeot 308 1.6T 150-156-175HP
    Peugeot 3008 1.6T 150hp/156hp
    Peugeot 508 1.6T
    Peugeot 5008 1.6T
    Peugeot RCZ 1.6T 156hp
    Peugeot RCZ 1.6T 200hp
    Citroen C4 1.6T 150HP
    Citroen DS3 1.6T 156HP/163hp
    Citroen DS3 Racing 1.6T 200HP
    Citroen DS4 Racing 1.6T 200hp
    Citroen DS4 1.6T 156 hp
    Citroen DS5 1.6T

I don't think you're going to find anyone on here who is writing code, and so I think you're going to have to pursue the established brands.

A few years ago I was after a new 'chip' for a particular brand of bike. Since it was a new model there wasn't an existing version available so I came to an agreement with an established company interstate to use my bike for the development process (time on a load dyno), and I would score a free 'chip' out of it (remember when the process was to replace the EPROM in the zif socket ? not even an EEPROM.....). Maybe you could arrange to have the development done on your car.

Cheers

Justin
    Oh I'm not after a custom tune at all - I'm just after a bit more oomph, nothing crazy given (i) it's still only a family car and (ii) the missus drives it.

Given how common the THP165 engine is in the PSA world as you've pointed out, it shouldn't be that hard. Somehow eTuners reckons they can't remap via the OBD port even though they've implied you could with older models (saw an old thread here about someone with a 207GTi with an eTuners remap - I think 208GTi's are compatible too). So either PSA did something to stop people from messing with the ECU via the OBD port, or eTuners couldn't be bothered...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by huit View Post
    Oh I'm not after a custom tune at all - I'm just after a bit more oomph, nothing crazy given (i) it's still only a family car and (ii) the missus drives it.

Given how common the THP165 engine is in the PSA world as you've pointed out, it shouldn't be that hard. Somehow eTuners reckons they can't remap via the OBD port even though they've implied you could with older models (saw an old thread here about someone with a 207GTi with an eTuners remap - I think 208GTi's are compatible too). So either PSA did something to stop people from messing with the ECU via the OBD port, or eTuners couldn't be bothered...
    I love mine.
    Seeing the 3008 is so similar mechanically Iím surprised too, because in time I might be tempted.....sooner if only for the long warranty.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Last I looked (a while ago mind you), the resident tuning genius over on the DS3 forums hadn't been able to get into the ecu to remap the thp165. So doesn't surprise me too much that etuners can't either, doubt it is a matter of etuners not being bothered given their reputation.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 205tim View Post
    Last I looked (a while ago mind you), the resident tuning genius over on the DS3 forums hadn't been able to get into the ecu to remap the thp165. So doesn't surprise me too much that etuners can't either, doubt it is a matter of etuners not being bothered given their reputation.
    So what is the major difference between the 308 GTI and the standard engine?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    So what is the major difference between the 308 GTI and the standard engine?.

Quite a lot. The 308 GTI has forged pistons etc. There's more to it, but a quick google brought up the following speil:

For consistent and reliable performance forged aluminium pistons are cooled using a double oil spray system and a heat resistant steel exhaust manifold. Strengthened connecting rods, polymer-enhanced bearings and reinforced fasteners allow for a compression ratio of 9.2:1
    Nagaman likes this.
    Lotus Elise Sport 111
    Peugeot RCZ
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s

Previous
    205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Tadpole

OK... got in touch with RaceChip in Germany and they've been helpful. The 165THP is listed on their site for several models (DS4, 508, C4 II etc) though not the Picasso, but they've confirmed that it's compatible. I asked about the installation and they sent me a few pictures of an old 207 with the MAP sensor and the boost sensor highlighted. The air box needs to come out as the MAP sensor is tucked away, right behind the air box.

Turns out the Picasso isn't the only one with the air box hidden under the scuttle panel, the 207, RCZ etc all have the cab-forward, short-bonnet design, thankfully a check online shows that PSA have thought things through and you only need to undo one screw and the air box pulls straight out, after you've taken the lid off first of course.

Something to do for the weekend - checking everything is where they say it is, with the design of the Picasso I'll probably have to crawl halfway into the engine bay Will give the local dealer a call once everything checks out.

It's going to be a pain getting rid of the evidence the night before I take the car back to the dealer's for a service though...

I emailed etuners and received the following response :

Hi Justin!
    Thank you for contacting us. Your C4 should be supported by our flashing software, FlasherTHP! Can you please also check your engine code, too?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Best regards,
    Stelios

--
    Stelios Alexandrakis
    Diploma Mechanical Engineer
    Managing Director
    Etuners
    Ag. Nektariou 35, Gerakas
    Athens - Greece
    http://www.e-tuners.com
    +306938188610
    +302106616466

Might be an easier solution than removing the air cleaner. The reply came from Stelios Alexandrakis - [email protected]

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Tadpole

I emailed etuners and received the following response :

Hi Justin!
    Thank you for contacting us. Your C4 should be supported by our flashing software, FlasherTHP! Can you please also check your engine code, too?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Best regards,
    Stelios

--
    Stelios Alexandrakis
    Diploma Mechanical Engineer
    Managing Director
    Etuners
    Ag. Nektariou 35, Gerakas
    Athens - Greece
    eTuners Custom Tuning ECU Performance Software
    +306938188610
    +302106616466

Might be an easier solution than removing the air cleaner. The reply came from Stelios Alexandrakis - [email protected]

Cheers

Justin
    Thanks Justin - just sent Stelios an email

A month over Christmas / New Year isn't very long, but I was wondering if there was any update ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Thread Information