306 2.0 Turbo Gearbox
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 2.0 Turbo Gearbox

I'm looking at fitting a XU10J2TE to a N3 306, I'm a bit worried about the BE3 I've currently got fitted won't handle the torque for long and was thinking of fitting a gearbox out of a turbo diesel as from what I've read they can handle the torque and have ratios better suited to a torquey engine. What model gearbox are people using that is a straight forward swap? From a 405 1.9TD or another model? Realisticly in this particular application the gearbox will never see maximum boost/torque in 1st or 2nd gear, only in 3/4/5. Should this be enough to keep the current gearbox?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

250 Nm according to PSA - http://www.peugeot-citroen-moteurs.f...e_publique.pdf

The MCM 6 speed box is rated at 300 Nm.

Ideally you need either an ML or ME gearbox, from V6, Turbo etc. However, plenty have just used BE.

Tadpole

What is the usual weak point on the BE3 gearboxes, is it a wear issue with high torque or a potential catastrophic failure? Is is a gearset or the final drive that fails?
    Thanks

1000+ Posts

The original gearbox mated to that motor would seem a good bet - which should have been an ML/5.

1000+ Posts

Tadpole

I've got the engine only, no gearbox. From what I've found (I'm still relatively new to Pugs, correct me if I'm wrong) the ML/5 can be found on V6 406's, and 2.1TD 406's and Xantias as well as anything that originally had a XU10J2TE. Are there any differences in bellhousings between any of these combinations? Any markings that I can use to identify if it fits or is it by sight only? What's the difference between the ML5C and ML5T?

I know I can stick with the BE3/5 but if it's a straight forward conversion, I can find the parts and wont cost the earth I may as well do it and then I won't worry as much about killing the transmission down the track.

Speaking from experience, a BE3 gearbox & standard clutch will run a XU10J2TE at 15psi on standard turbo & injectors all day everyday, in any gear, without issue. It will make circa 110kW at the wheels by 3500rpm which works out to about 200hp and 300Nm of torque @ the crank (Depending on ECU).

The weak parts of the the BE3 box are the spider gears in the standard differential. Fit a Quaife & this issue is resolved.

The idea that turbo engines should run wide gear & tall diff ratios is a fallacy. You run a CR box just like an atmo motor. An Mi16 gearbox with the 4.4 diff drives beautifully attached to a XU10J2TE. A VTS or S16 would also be a great choice as would a GTi6 gearbox as you have the 306 chassis.

Thread Information