0-100 Kph times
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 0-100 Kph times

Default 0-100 Kph times

How are factory 0-100 kph times recorded?

It it just with a light take off, or a clutch dumping launch. or other...

Is there any kind of standard they go by, or is it just up to the manufacturer?

Thanks

Advertisement

I'd think that the fastest way to get from A to Z would be the norm.
    If that means driving with your eyes closed while reciting Britaney Spears latest single than thats they way it would be tested.

Interesting question though.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

It really depends on the car. They try a whole range of methods, from revving to 6000rpm and side stepping, to easing it out at 2000rpm.

1000+ Posts

My understanding of it is they use the "powershifting" method in manual cars.

1. pedal to the metal with engine bouncing off the rev limiter
    2. dump the clutch
    3. change gears keeping your foot planted to the floor while you push the clutch in, with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter before letting the clutch out again.

Many modern manual cars would only need 1st and 2nd to get to 100, so one gear change is it. I beleive some autos will get to 100 in 1st

I guess Launch Control as found in many upmarket BMW's and Subaru WRX STi's helps here, as it controls power on launch to prevent/minimise wheelspin.

Derek

Not necessarily Derek, some cars like Commodore and Falcon V8s can not move if you revved them that high, they destroy the tyres very very quickly though! I am yet to figure out to launch my ST quick, if I stepoff the clutch it will just chirp the wheels ad then bog. Easing out is my best method at the moment. But this is the problem you have overcoming the weight of 17" rims...

Ahh, a pet topic of mine, being the stats man

0-100km/h (or mph equivalent) is basically the only measure of acceleration consistently reported by all publications and manufacturers. It's a flawed measure, but we don't have much else that we can choose from.

In some US publications they have a better measure of initial acceleration, 5-60mph (8-96km/h), the "street start". Why is it better - because it's more consistent. You don't have any funny launch techniques, you can't cheat, simple, just crawl along at that pace, then boot it (obviously shifting gears efficiently). If you look at the figures, they're always slower. For example, an S80 T6 (big FWD 200kW 4sp auto) does the 0-60mph (0-97km/h) run in 6.3s, but 5-60mph takes 6.9s. Can't really do any funny business with the torque converter in the street start test.

What a lot of people forget is 0-100km/h is a test of traction, not just about acceleration. This is why I like in gear acceleration tests (eg. 80-120km/h in top), because they take the traction issue out of it. Surely traction is important though? Yes, but look at it in terms of real life driving - how often are you realistically doing clutch dump starts? Changes are, you'll appreciate acceleration more whilst you're already moving - eg. overtaking, squeezing into gaps in traffic, etc. This reflects an engine's torque delivery and rewards engines with good driving characteristics for day to day driving, not some spool it up sprint.

It's an interesting business - had a discussion with a former journo, now PR guru (unsurprisingly its a common career move). Techniques and standards can cause quite a bit of a difference and lets remember that psychologically, a small nominal difference can impact on our perception somewhat more. Eg - a car doing the 0-100km/h in something starting with a 5 is a hellava lot more impressive than something doing it in something starting with a 6.

For those of you who read US magazines (probably not so many here), you might notice that they consistently are able to get some of the fastest standing start acceleration times. Australian ones generally aren't so great. Why?

US magazines trigger their meters after 1 foot. Australian magazines trigger their meters after 1 km/h. This generally translates to an increase of around 0.2s on most measures.

In addition to this, bear in mind Australian magazines measure their 0-100km/h times from their 400m runs. So what may be optimal for the 400m, may not be optimal for 0-100km/h. For example, the S60R is geared to hit 100km/h just on the revlimiter (6800rpm) - ie. only one gearshift, first to second. But, magazines have been shifting into third (ie. two gearchanges), which adds roughly 0.3s to the 0-100km/h time. The S60R in a sense is lucky to get a 5.7s 0-100km/h time, because has 4WD (ie. few traction problems off the line, perfect for 0-100km/h) and only requires one gearshift to do a genuine 0-100km/h.

I'll have to read through a few of the launching threads on Swedespeed - technique's quite interesting. I recall one though about powershifting (ie. flooring it even through gearshifts), "Hey, that's what the rev limiter is there for!"

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    My understanding of it is they use the "powershifting" method in manual cars.

1. pedal to the metal with engine bouncing off the rev limiter
    2. dump the clutch
    This technique is more applicable for AWD vehicles, as you'll get too much wheelspin in most 2WD cars with reasonable power, especially in FWD.

In an auto, you can torque brake - hold the car under brakes under throttle. I dare not try it in the 307, knowing what French autos are like

In addition, in some autos you can actually accelerate faster if you hold the gears manually - the Peugeot 405 is a case example. However this is a bit of a skill, as autos are different to manuals - when you move the lever, you don't get the gearchange as you do so, there is a delay. So you need to time your commands very well.

Many modern manual cars would only need 1st and 2nd to get to 100, so one gear change is it.
    Most cars (ie. medium & below sized cars) need two gear changes to get to 100km/h.

Looking at the 11 car Wheels comparo of small-medium hatches, most cars top out in second at around 85-90km/h, with the Focus hitting 97km/h (hey that reminds me, Lincoln try a 1.8 Focus manual and then you'll think the 307 manual's throttle response was from a Ferrari in comparison ).

I beleive some autos will get to 100 in 1st
    None pop into mind at the moment (100km/h is a bit high), but you have a better chance of getting close to that figure with a 4 speed auto, which are being replaced by 5 speeders.

Just to give an idea - a standard big engine 4 speed auto car like a Commodore will top out in first at around 80km/h (thereabouts).

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I thought AWD had MORE traction to overcome and was therefore harder to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I thought AWD had MORE traction to overcome and was therefore harder to launch.
    Is this in reference to the technique mentioned in Derek's post or what I said about the S60R?

In regards to the former, what I said was the technique that Derek mentioned is more suitable (note - not the best/only method) for an AWD vehicle, because doing so in a 2WD car can result in too much wheelspin (ie. waste), which is a lot harder in an AWD car. Obviously, given that an AWD car has more traction, the risk of bogging down is higher (especially in a less powerful one), so you can handle a bit more power off the line.

Having said that, in some situations slipping the clutch is still desirable in a AWD vehicle, if the car is prone to bogging down (eg. small engine, high boost turbos - don't want revs/boost to die too much).

It's desirable to have some element of slippage for a standing start.

In regards to the latter (what I said about AWD being an advantage for S60R on 0-100km/h) - if done well, AWD is advantageous - only it can be harder to launch in some vehicles. What you have to consider is what figures you would get if you had the same amount of power in the FWD application - lots of wheelspin potentially, you could never get the power down as efficiently to accelerate as quick as the AWD version.

Naturally, this only becomes an issue if you're dealing with a high amount of power. If you have a low powered AWD and its 2WD equivalent, holding all things equal, in good dry conditions, chances are the 2WD will be faster, due to less powertrain loss & slightly lower weight. The 2WD is more than capable of handling the power through its wheels.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

you made some interesting points there Justin,

What a lot of people forget is 0-100km/h is a test of traction, not just about acceleration. This is why I like in gear acceleration tests (eg. 80-120km/h in top), because they take the traction issue out of it. Surely traction is important though? Yes, but look at it in terms of real life driving - how often are you realistically doing clutch dump starts? Changes are, you'll appreciate acceleration more whilst you're already moving - eg. overtaking, squeezing into gaps in traffic, etc. This reflects an engine's torque delivery and rewards engines with good driving characteristics for day to day driving, not some spool it up sprint.

Alot of people I know get stats out of car magazines & then take them as hard facts & start comparing to other cars. "mine is bigger than yours" blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    Alot of people I know get stats out of car magazines & then take them as hard facts & start comparing to other cars. "mine is bigger than yours" blah blah blah
    Yeah, unfortunately, like it or not the problem is 0-100km/h is the main benchmark that most of the press offer - yet, it's one of the most variable measures too.

It's a figure that people understand too.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Yeah, unfortunately, like it or not the problem is 0-100km/h is the main benchmark that most of the press offer - yet, it's one of the most variable measures too.

It's a figure that people understand too.
    Yes, but it's also true that most people realise they are variable, depending on the time of day, the phase of the moon, the type of air filter pod you've just installed, blah, blah.... otherwise we would never see traffic light derbys. If everyone took the figures in car mags as gospel, there would never be a traffic light derby, as everyone would know that car X was 0.0027 faster than car Y anyway.

I think people realise that the figure is really only a guide anyway, and that the figures do change on the day.
    Last edited by N5GTi6; 4th May 2004 at 11:40 PM.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

XTC

They don't seem to do 100-0 times/distances as much ?

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    They don't seem to do 100-0 times/distances as much ?
    Ahh, the domain of Volvo ads in the days when they weren't quite so fast "Never mind how fast it does 0-100, how fast does it do 100-0?"

More seriously, Australian magazines are notoriously poor in the statistics department. If you read American, European, British and even Kiwi publications, they give you braking stats.

If you read German magazines, you'll see stats you've never seen before They had a page long article about redefining the measurement of braking

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    More seriously, Australian magazines are notoriously poor in the statistics department.
    Even though Wheels always brags it has the best testing equipment ...
    - XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Even though Wheels always brags it has the best testing equipment ...
    What, the cupholder counterometer?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information