maintenance of leather seats questione...
  • Register
  • Help

Default maintenance of leather seats questione...

hello hello,

ive got blemishes (some are vein-like?) in my otherwise fine set of front and rear seats.

spoke with dino (the other day) and he recommended a "mothers leather care" product. he also mentioned a product available only to the trade.

unfortunately, i am not "in the trade". is there a product joe public could use to "mask" or repair the above mentioned blemishes to leather seats?

they are black seats.

Luca recommended the use of his black mascara, and i thought at the time, it was an idiotic recommendation.

thank you in advance .

Advertisement
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Pugjet, don't use mascara it will stain your clothes, instead have a look in the yellow pages for people that can dye/treat leather and have experience in doing car seats that's one idea, also go to a Horse/Sadderley shop and get some Connolly hide food, have been using this on my leather for a while and keeps the leather soft and supple, if all else fails get a re-trim in custard yellow leather!!!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

ey pugsy,

been a while dude.

thanks for the advice.

the seats arent bad at all - as described, its some faint (minute, maybe?)cracking and a few slight scuff marks on the rear seats.

re-triming would not be a consideration.

is there a leather polish/cleaner/whatever that is colour specific? a product similar to that of colour specific car wax/polish?

cheers and thanks.

youre very humbling

p.s. pssst! Dino, can you get your hands on a shot glass worth of that stuff you were talking about the other day (available to only the trade)?
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

http://www.josephlyddy.com.au/boot_and_shoe.htm

http://www.leathermagic.com/Secure/e...log.asp?prdc=1

that took about one minute........

it just deppends.....if the cracking is "minor".....it might be fine just to use a conditiner....like i said i like the mothers product......

if the cracks are bothering u....well yes there are a couple of companies that supply leather fillers/ repair kits......unfortunatelly....i m not really in the trade anymore...so the stuff is not readily available to me....i will check if the little kit can still be chased through autobarn...but i m pretty sure they discontinued the product a few years ago.....there might be some old stock sittng around...i ll check...

the other thing u COULD try....i know some will laugh....is black shoe polish....
    try it (a small patch)....rebuff, redo a few times.....hell, it may not exactly repair the leather....but it will ceartinly make the cracks less visible....once the cracks are dyed/filled with shoepolish ....follow through with a good leather conditioner and give final buff.....easy

cheers
    dino

ps....there is a company that advertises its leather products in UNIQUE CARs...i m not sure what name they go by....but they do sell a leather filler/repair kit...seemed well priced...

... ahhh, yes, o' Lord, he has been ressurected!

thanks dino .

oh yeah, dont go out of your way, but errr, ummm... if it does fall on your head, give me a bell on my cell (it ryhmes!)

0402 881 347

cheers,

regs

p.s. yeah the cracks are absolutely minor - just being pedantic, i suppose .

i'll give that mothers leather care product a go (purchased it, already at a frign $19 a pop! yes, i know, man you were gonna give it to me at mates rates but i wasnt down your way, and was hangin) . just havent had the chance to use it yet.

i'll see how that goes then try the boot polish for a laugh .
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    Luca recommended the use of his black mascara, and i thought at the time, it was an idiotic recommendation.
    I was gonna reccomend an upholsterer i used for my red carpet when it got a small rip under the seat. Repaired it like new but since u have the leather interior and make idiotic comments i WON'T HELP YOU!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Pugjet, how's Chloe going, where did you get the leather seats, does it impress the girls, those products that Dino recomended sound good, just make sure that once a month you put a leather cream on the seats to keep them supple and in summer buy some cheap seat covers to throw over the front seats and a rug for the rear to keep them out of the nasty aussie sun.
    My upholsterer who rerpaired my seats recently said if you cannot afford to buy leather cream just use baby oil instead rub it on and then if there's any slickness just buff off with a clean towel!!!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

hi pugsy, i had this 500 page reply but upon posting it, i got dcd!

neways, i'll keep it short, this time round.

chloe? cant believe you still remember her name .

yeah, shes still pulling hard and is still amazingly entertaining, even after 4 years of ownership, and is still a work in progress. my enthusiasm for her seems to only appreciate the longer i own her - i'll never sell the tart.

she used to be a daily driver, clocking over 500 kays a week - you know, driver to work, drive back from work, shit, shower, shave, then off to wherever - you know i used to be the most sighted victorian AFer .

lucky for me (unlucky, perhaps?) i now have another vehicle. these days, chloe only gets thrashed maybe once or twice a week , depending on my schedule and this is causing me much angst... grrr.

at least, instead of spending my hard earned on rocket fuel, i can now spend it on renewing tired bits, and future cosmetic (respray) and performance mods (next year).

thanks for asking.

the leather seats you say?

yeah, long story. i'll keep it short.

finished work early one weekday. headed to a peugeot wrecker for that impulse buy on something i didnt actually need . sighted a 205gti wreck. had a bit of a google, thinking i might spot that elusive intact glovebox but instead my eyes tripped over leather seats.

some bloke was set to purchase the whole wreck any day. robert mentioned he'd pull the gti into bits if the purchase went adrift and the seats would be mine. it did! and now ive got them in my gti now - front and back leather seats for a filthy bargain price of $275! makes you wanna cry, eyy, Luca? .

pugsy, you serious bout the seat covers and nasty rug during summer?!

how bad were your seats that you decided to re-apolster? how much?

dino mentioned he got a quote to re-apolster one front cloth seat for $400 bucks! faaark!

cheers, buddy
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Fellow Frogger!

Um yes am serious about seat covers, I have um XDC - Xtreme Driving Conditions seat covers, and rug that's what i do to my car in summer cos it's parked outiside at uni keep the leather from drying out. Far out 275 for full set of seats that was a lucky find cost me 300 to have my two seats fixed. I have the S3 part leather and the bolster on the drivers seat had lost it's stuffing and the leather was riding on the metal frame, the lower part of both front seats had come un-stitched and and the rear back-rest wire frame had gone a stray, so i thought it not too bad a price considering the amount of work involved, but now I find out you get full leather for that much wow!

The leather is in pretty good nick and i just apply the leather cream once a month to keep them supple..sorry about the seat covers, I really am

AS for my Pug still working through that elusive 'to-do' list, used as daily driver just clocked up 122,000 so compared to Chloe mine has done buggar all work, I just clocked three years ownership and once Uni has finished -one year to go I will probably get another vehicle and use the Pug on weekends etc, just could'nt part with it.

Your elusive search is for a glovebox mine is for a late model dash that has not cracked or fallen apart, just love Peugeot quality control, adds character or something like that..

So now Chloe has more free time will you take her on a date to a racetrack and see how she goes, as soon funds become available I want to get out and do a few laps.

Cheers
    05' Megane 225 Cup

I use a conditioner and it makes the leather softer and a lot more slippery I really like the smell of it too It doest do a great job in hiding the little marks though (only got 2 little points that are hardly noticeable). I've used black leather shoe polish and it did a good job but it needed 2 days to dry properly and then conditioner was applied over the top of the little points. If you dont wait that time for the polish to dry you'll end up having it all on your clothes
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Shoe polish works great.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I've been experimenting with Gliptone Liquid Leather, it's supposed to be the best stuff around. I bought both the leather cleaner and conditioner, they come in separate bottles at about $25 each - a bit pricy but it's pretty special stuff.

I used the cleaner first as I don't think my seats had ever been cleaned before, and it was interesting to see the seats come up blue after the grey dirt that had been ingrained had come out. It also sealed up some small creases because it is the dirt that creates creases and eventually creates cracks by slowly damaging the leather. You then massage the conditioner in with your hands (it's really quite relaxing and soothing - and it actually softens your hands at the same time...), leave it in the sun for a day or two, then wipe off the residue. My leather looks a lot cleaner a feels a bit softer. I'm sure after I do it more often, they'll be really soft and nice.

Oh, and the stuff makes the leather smell like old leather boots!

Reg, you should only pamper Chloe with the best!

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

just go to your local sadelry store and see what they recommend. I've heard a lot on these lists about how good Maguires products are. So a couple of months back I bought some maguires leather conditioner to do my seats with ... Utter crap, I'd never both touching maguires again. I reckon even the no name brand shoe polish from the supermarket would be vastly supperior.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Meguiar's leather products aren't very good. I wouldn't judge their products on any of that stuff. A saddlery shop is your best bet, without a doubt.

I bought Meg's leather wipes just for convenience sake and as I don't have full leather seats, they'll do until I run out and get some better stuff. It's less of an issue on my newer cars.

Thread Information