Wheel rim offset - what is "margin for error"?
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Wheel rim offset - what is "margin for error"?

Is there a rule of thumb (eg. a percentage) for how much variation in wheel rim offset is OK? I presume that increasing positive offset increases overall track - this presumably increases stress on suspension. Does too much offset also increase risk of tyres rubbing on wheel arches?

I am in the market for 16" rims, which I will fit to either a 406 or a Xantia, depending on which one's registered etc. - these cars have virtually identical wheel requirements, with offset varying between ET12 & ET20 depending on width & .

Now according to wheel-size.com a number of PSA models were/are fitted with 16" rims with the correct PCD (4x108), but all seem to have a larger offset - the lowest being 25 or 26 for the C5. I've got no idea whther this might cause problems...

Advertisement

Cheers

Alec

Increasing positive offset decreases overall the track. The wheel/tyre will be closer to the strut tower.

Decreasing offset increases track.

+/- 6mm from the original is usually fine. I'd be looking for less offset rather than more. Changes to suspension, scrub radius etc. are really insignificant at that level.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Ahh - thanks Peter - obviously I had it back to front!

I wasn't planning on increasing offset - I'm just trying to understand which models might have compatible wheels.

The +/- 6mm should be very helpful - with that as a guide, some C5 rims should be OK.

Thread Information