309 Rally Car update
  • Register
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default 309 Rally Car update

Well, the car is going again after the cracked liner disaster. I built up a stock D6C using the original block and crank. The spare engine I was going to use had had something go through it, head and pistons were damaged. PGTi6, Jeff supplied another engine and the head on this this was recoverable, thanks Jeff. The 10.5 to 1 pistons were sourced from a Forum member recently as I thought they may come in handy. I used a number 2 pulley on the inlet cam as this is what Peugeot used originally, I've heard that the advanced timing number 4 pulley was only used to improve idle quality with A/C.
    So it all went together and was dynoed yesterday, on the same dyno only 20hp less than the original track engine and 35 more than my stroker 1997 cc 8 valve which was pulling sub 16 seconds (with more to come if it hadn't been for the thunderstorm) at Eastern Creek 3 years ago. What's more much better low end torque than either of the other engines, almost twice as much as the 8 valve down low, 10% better midrange, then 30% at the top end. Throttle bodies could be the key here although there is a problem with them as we needed to add a lot of fuel at 4000rpm, down I believe to the vacuum pickup from the TBs not having equal length hoses to a 4 to 1 joiner, which maybe causes a resonance effect and a spike in vacuum which shuts down the fuel pressure regulator. In any case it is driving great, this is a great spec, and I'll run it as is in the next rally in early October. Idle needs to be fixed before then though, sits at 1600 rpm, no leaks anywhere. Impossible to synchronise properly so could be twisted shafts?

A new engine is progressing but hopefully won't be needed for a while, I just want to drive the car in events. The new one will have Piper Ultimate Road cams, solid lifters and a stated range from 2500 to 7500.

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Idle and vacuum problems tied together, discovered a non standard arrangement and will be fixed tomorrow, along with fitting 4 to 1 union then back to the dyno yet again!!

Thread Information