205 DFZ engine dkz cam
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 DFZ engine dkz cam

My current 1989 205 gti has a DFZ engine is there any benefit to be gained doing one of the following:
    (1) fit the camshaft out of a dkz engine I have here. Will there beb a performance improvement.

(2) fit the dkz head and camshaft. Further improve the over (1) changes.

(1) is relatively simple to do (2) will take me a bit longer to do as I would get the head skimmed and valves reseated. Inlet and exhaust ports polished.

I was planning on using the existing ecu Bosch jetronic 0 280 000 345 though I have built a Megasquirt ecu, the car runs Bosch distributor should I buy an adjustable cam sprocket.

i would prefer to do the changes incrementally i.e. Do (1) then do (2) then eventually adding an adjustable cam sprocket and finally Megasquirt ecu.

Advertisement

Comments please.

Fellow Frogger!

Generally if you change the camshaft you will need to 'tune' the ECU and ignition timing to make the most of it and possibly to make it run well at all.

The Jetronic ECU can be tuned to a degree and the ignition advance curve of the DFZ distributor can be altered in the usual way.

Most DFZ upgrades tend to go with the DKZ head/cam changeover although of course at this point of time you can also look at uprated cams as well. The low C/R of the DFZ is its biggest shortcoming. Above comments re ECU still applying.

The MegaSquirt ECU is a popular option especially if you are looking at modifying from original spec but obviously involves a lot more work but allows you to 'upgrade' away from the old AFM.
    Last edited by ng850; 28th August 2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: 'head' not 'engine' in 3rd para

I wouldn't bother changing it unless you increase the CR. DFZ is 8.4:1, whereas DKZ is 9.3:1. Skim 1mm off the head while you have it off. You'll need to advance the cam by 4 degrees somehow, as the skim will retard the timing. Do all that and the combination will be sweet. The std ECU will cope easily.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Peter are you saying take 1mm off the DFZ head or dkz head? Should I use the DFZ cam or dkz cam?

Sorry, I confused it. Take 1mm off the DFZ head if you wanted to use that with the DKZ cam. You can put the DKZ & cam straight onto the DFZ block; you'll end up with approx. 10.5:1. The ECU will still cope, however the DFZ distributor has too much centrifugal advance around 2500 so it will ping if you get too enthusiastic with the base timing. Set it at 10 DBTC and it will be fine however. Adding an aftermarket ECU later will improve it significantly as you can customize the ignition timing and remove the AFM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Peter, a bit more clarification if possible.

My DFZ has the original cam/head but I believe the head has had a 'shave' by a previous owner... no information available about how much. I'm pretty sure its running the standard cam wheel.

My question is whether there is any value in adjusting the cam timing with the DFZ cam or only if fitting a DKZ cam. I do have a Baker adjustable cam wheel in my back pocket for such purposes.

Cheers

Unless you measured the height of your head, you wouldn't know how much has been skimmed off. Even a 0.5mm (0.020") skim would require a valve timing correction to get the most out of it. The best thing to do is measure the valve lift at TDC. A DFZ should have around 0.045-0.050" lift at TDC, taking into account 0.010" of valve clearance.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information