Tyre advice 185/60R14
  • Register
  • Help

Default Tyre advice 185/60R14

Hi guys,

I need new tyres for the front of my Bx.
    My priorities are dry weather cornering, handling and grip.
    I currently have FM901's and would like to get something as good or better.
    With your recommendations could you please include a price range for each tyre so i know who is trying to rip me off.

Dave

Advertisement

BUMP

A week and no help
    Any help would be appreciated guys; what's the grippiest street tyre out there these days??

Dave

Hi dave,

We've chatted about this size before. If you do a search you would find some comments, but mainly on the 505.

The following tyres are in your size:

Yoko A539
    Dunlop LM702
    Bridgestone Potenza GIII
    BF Goodrich Profiler G
    Michelin Pilot Preceda

The pick if you want similar performance to FM901 are the Precedas then the Bridgestones and then the BFs.

- Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Hi guys,

I need new tyres for the front of my Bx.
    My priorities are dry weather cornering, handling and grip.
    I currently have FM901's and would like to get something as good or better.
    With your recommendations could you please include a price range for each tyre so i know who is trying to rip me off.

Dave
    Pure handling = Type R tyres

Bridgestone 540 = $240/tyre, only available in sizes 195/x/x and up
    Yokohama A032R = $200/tyre
    Dunlop DOJ1R = $250/tyre

Those are road legal, competition tyres and will last the maximum of 10,000kms but will give unparalled handling on the street.

You could also try Toyo Proxes RA1 and Azenis tyres (Azenis are harder compund and may last longer then the tyres mentioned above)

Failing that go for Lincoln's recommended tyres.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Yeah, R compounds are an option. You gotta have super stickies on ytour road car at least once in your life, hehe.

I'd say that the Falken Azenis RS would be the next step up after Preceda, then R compounds, like those mentioned by Tekkie. Be aware that they are very loud.

Hey guys,

I have done a bit of ringing around and these are the best prices i have found for each tyre:

Michelin pilot preceda $199
    Bridgestone potenza G3 $128
    BF Goodrich g-force sport $133
    Yokohama A 539 $125

Oh and i also got offered EAGLE F1's for $$129 Opioins needed here!! ****

I saw in the wheels magazine that the bridgestone is probably the worst in this group so i think we can cross that off. So for the moment its the Yoko A539 ($125) vs BF Goodrich g-force sport ($133) and the eagle F1 ($129)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 7th May 2004 at 05:43 PM.

I wouldn't discount the Bridgestones. Darren (MYT205) is running them on his Astina and is happy with them. They're not as good as the RE711, but I wouldn't discount them just on that Wheel's test.

According to the Australian website the GS-D3 isn't available in that size, but is on the UK site. If you can get the GS-D3, I think it's a no brainer. Just make sure it is the D3, and not the D2.

EDIT: re-read the UK site and it lists the D2. So oops. If you can only get the D2, I don't rate them.
    Last edited by GTI124; 7th May 2004 at 05:53 PM.

Cool, thanks for you help Lincoln.

EDIT: Looks like we're back to the Bridgestone vs the BF vs the A539. Out of these tyres i want the one with the best cornering grip and feel.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 7th May 2004 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Cool, thanks for you help Lincoln.

EDIT: Looks like we're back to the Bridgestone vs the BF vs the A539. Out of these tyres i want the one with the best cornering grip and feel.

Dave
    Dave,

Can you go 195/55/14 as this will certainly help handling as less tyre wall flex. I've had the FM901, Bridgies and the Yoko A539, A509 and a host of other before. Don't discount the Goodyear F1 - they are excellent in the dry but get a bit skittish in the wet after 40% worn.
    Basically a softer compound = better grip = more $$$ ........... it's a compromise for most people.
    Have a look at the MX5 forums as they're right into their tyres.

G

Grip and feel, aye? Well that rules out A539, Yokos have never had the best "feel" to them.

Bridgestone gets some favourable subjective comments on feel in the Wheels test. Feel isn't mentioned for the BFs.

How many places did you try for on quotes? I reckon you can get Precedas cheaper than that.

You seem like you want the BFs...

If I can get the Precedas a bit cheaper then i will definately consider them. The only thing I have heard about the bf's is what is in the wheels magazine. So it looks like i'm deciding between the Potenza and the BF (or preceda if i can find them cheap somewhere).
    So Darren has the Potenza's and says they're good, has anyone bought any BF's yet? If i dont get any personal views on the BF the safest choice may be to go with the Bridgestone.
    Thanks for all your help guys, its very much appreciated!!

Dave

Tadpole

Default Yoko A032Rs are quite grippy.

The Yoko A032Rs are quite noisy but stick to the road extremely well. I have found them to be excellent on my 205. They seem to be reasonable in the wet as well - even to the extent of merrily driving up a road that was 4" deep in water

They are more suited to lighter cars like the 205 (in the UK they are super-popular on the super 7 replicas). If you have more weight to deal with than a 205 you might look at the bridgestones as they have better sidewall construction and won't deform.

Cheers

Tony
    --

"Aaaaarrgghhhhhhhh..."

205 GTi 1.9

I'm a little confused with the wheels tyre test:

In the slalom the BF goodrich does 11.0 secs in 195/60R15, however in the focus (which i assume handles better) with 205/50R16 does the course in 11.57.
    Why would it be slower in the better car, with wider lower profile?

Looking at the Bridgestone g3 it did 12.01 in 195/60 and 11.34 in 205/50. From looking at the photos it seems that the tread pattern on the 195 vs 205 bridgestone is different. On the larger tyre size the tread 'chunks' are larger.
    On the other hand the Bf looks take have the same size tread 'chunks' regardless of tyre size.
    Are my eyes playing up or is this visible to everyone else?
    Would this mean that the BF is better in say 14/15 inch and the G3 better in 16 inch or larger wheels??

Thanks for listening to my rambling

Dave

Dave,

just my opinion here but certain tyres work better with certain cars. The chassis setup suits them better. It may not neccessarily mean the tyre is better or worse, it just means that particular tyre does not work well with that particular suspension setup.

Commodores are preset for the Bridgestone B530. The tyre was actually made for the specifications of the suspension. Putting another tyre on the car, even though it had better stats may not necessarily work.

Its an indication at best unless you have your car being tested with the particular tyre you were looking at buying.

0.5 sec per lap during testing may not mean much. if there was a 2 second gap .. well maybe.. 0.5 sec... I think we are splitting hairs (mission impossible for me for those who met me).

cueball singing off.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

The Wheels test proves that those tyres are good on that particular car on that particular day with that particular batch of tyres. Variations between the times can't really be compared, as the conditions may have changed. Some cars are better at particular tests than others. There was a recent test that we've talked about before where a Mondeo beat a M3 around a handling circuit in a tyre test. Mondeo was running P7s and the M3 Michelin Pilot Sports. Doesn't make the P7 better than Pilot Sports.

The Astra uses a trailing arm rear end, the Focus a multilink, that *could* have an impact on tyre preference?

I read a lot into the subjective comments, I must say.

I got preceda's in 195/50 r15 for 170 a corner, fitted. Surely the 185's would be cheaper? In any case, they're extremely grippy tyres in the dry! Very quiet too, and nice feel!

If so, try Quickfit! I got mine from the one in fairfield/yeronga/yeerongpilly. It's on annerly road, across from the marooka mile.

I also got quoted 145 for the BF Gforce Sport in that size. They're apparently near the top of the class that includes the a539.

Fellow Frogger!

I have two sets of 185/60x14's for my MX5. Yoko 539'($125)and Mich Proceda'sa($165).

The Yoko's are better in every condition but the real wet; they are much more communicative, better riding and they wear resonably well(i got 40000 hard road klms out of them on a modified 5). I have only done bout 4000klms 0n the Michelins so can't comment on wear.

With two sets of new tyres my comments are based on back to back testing.

I have heard comments that the Yoko is a better tyre on smaller cars.

Peter

Thanks guys, i will keep looking for a cheaper quote on precedas.

Does anyone think there is any chance of finding fm901's still in stock anywhere? Do tyres go off, if on the shelf for too long?

Cheers,

Dave

If they're stored inside, then they shouldn't go "off".

Yes, the A539 is supposed to be a good tyre in H rated, more so than in Z rated (compared to it's competition)

Well no luck finding any old stock FM901's on my travels today. I did however get the price of G3's and A539's down to $115 each and Bf's to $125.

I had a big chat to the guy at quick-fit today, who says he has driven on the bridgestones and yokos. He says the outright grip is better on the yoko's, but better milage will be had from the Bridgestones. He didn't know much about the BF's.
    On another note I did see two different dunlop street slicks today, the do1j and something else. They looked pretty mean

Thanks again for your help everyone,

Dave

from reading the 195/55/R15 and reading the wheels test i think i might have sold myself on BF goodrich g-force sport if i can get them at $133
    as i saw here. But whist i'm here considering what tyres to actullay run on my car i'm just wondering from people that have run, these tyres what they actually think of them i meen thery came up good on the wheels test but how are they for real world driveing or should i stick to something like the yoko a539's
    Last edited by orestes; 27th May 2004 at 07:44 AM.

Mine probably only have a thousand kays on them, and so far the BF goodrich seem to be good. They are nice and quiet and never understeer unless you do something dumb. I'll let you know how they compare to the FM901's i had previously once they are a bit more worn in. I don't think they will have the mid corner grip of the FM901's but the turn in is good and they are feeling very positive so far.

Dave

Tadpole

eagle f1 d2 is good enough

i wont bother with bridgestone / yokohama

Thread Information