B27 PRV + Borg M-55
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wildebeest

Thread: B27 PRV + Borg M-55

Default B27 PRV + Borg M-55

G'day folks, after a little education.
    I'v found my self in possession of a Volvo B27 with a Borg-Warner M-55 strapped to the back of it, I dont know much about PRV's but am curious about them and considering going over it as it looks to be pretty good.
    Anyone know what I'v got and if its an anchor on not?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Codman View Post
    G'day folks, after a little education.
    I'v found my self in possession of a Volvo B27 with a Borg-Warner M-55 strapped to the back of it, I dont know much about PRV's but am curious about them and considering going over it as it looks to be pretty good.
    Anyone know what I'v got and if its an anchor on not?
    Codman,
    Could the BW M-55 actually be a BW-55 ? This sounds about right for a Volvo. The only other auto boxes used about that time with Volvo were Aisin Warner [good]. ZF [mmmm]. Manual box, rare were Getrag. Silly 5 speed with out of the way 1st that everyone ignored, starting in 2nd. Volvo's own four speed manual with Pommy O/drive. [good].
    All the above were open tail shaft, converting to torque tube fraught with problems.

The PRV V6 motor in itself is okay but the Volvo version could have the Jetronic mechanical fuel injection.
    Jetronic is rather thirsty and the injection system is touchy and fiddly to keep in tune.
    The early ones had the 'octopus' type intake manifold and the later ones had the 'log' type manifold.
    Engine cooling is not brilliant, there are pipes in the engine 'V' running from the back of the water pump to the back of the heads and these have to be in good condition as does all the cooling system. They don't take kindly to overheating.
    The odd-fire engines do have a nice exhaust note IMO.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

The B27 suffered also from camshaft and rocker wear. Corrosion in the all alloy motor was common. Head gaskets along with cam/rocker replacement was a weekly event at the Dealership I worked for.
    Quick diagnosis of gasket problems was simply done by putting the hose from the CO machine near the radiator or o/flow bottle. Any escape of exhaust gases would indicate a leak.

Claims were made that the PRV6 in Peugeot didn't have the corrosion problems of the PRV6 in Volvo !! My point at the time was that Volvo sold more PRV6 than Peugeot [604]. I reckoned about one hundred to one making the problem appear not as acute.

"PugRambo" enters stage left.
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information