Replacing brake hard lines?
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Replacing brake hard lines?

Default Replacing brake hard lines?

I'm starting to loose my mind over bloody brake lines...

I can not bring my self to put my tatty, 30 year old brake lines back in my 205 where everything else is new and spotless, also given the oblong shape of the nuts already, i think if they did go back on, they would never come back off again.

I'm not opposed to doing it myself, however, I would like to use stainless, and the initial outlay for tools (read flaring tool) and material is pretty astounding given I might do 4 lines every few years.
    Also trying to fit slightly wrongly shaped lines is my idea of hell

Is somebody here equipped to do it? I was even thinking pre terminated lines of the right length would be fine as shaping I can do with a $50 bender (or my knee)

Advertisement

Curious as to what some of you have done when inevitably faced with this

Cal

Any reputable brake place can make up new lines.
    Just take the old lines in and they will easily duplicate with all required bends.
    Don't even need a bender then

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Any reputable brake place can make up new lines.
    Just take the old lines in and they will easily duplicate with all required bends.
    Don't even need a bender then
    The way to go. You can take in hoses too. A good brake supplier can can make them too in either neoprene or braided, most often cheaper than OEM.

1000+ Posts

I will chime in on the brake supplier replicating hard lines. For a road legal car, that is by far the best option. They have much better flaring and bending tools than a hobbyist can usually justify.

But, for a race car, where ADR's aren't relevant, you could switch to braided lines -3 or -4 lines with steel fittings. Expensive, but easy to route and easy to make. I had two goes on my car recently. First try was to re-use the stock hard lines and re-bend them to suit new setup. Ended up with a leak at every flare (including with the help of qualified grade A mechanic). I ripped it all out and went speedflow -3 over the whole car. Much nicer.

Replacing brake hard lines?-img_3523.jpgReplacing brake hard lines?-img_3526.jpg
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Or you get a hydraulic fitter with motorsport experience to do it.
    Brendan.
    ps I'm now actively retired from this pursuit, arthritis is spreading in my hands.

I had my 205 hard lines replaced by B&R Brakes in Blacktown. It cost approx. $200 and was excellent value for money. They're renown for being experts in resto work. At the same time, a certain ex Prime Minister, who has an interest in cars, had his Merc 600 Grosser there for a brake rebuild.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Codman'
    With all the good advice given meaning a saving of $$$. All you need to spend $ on now is a proper brake pipe spanner.

Thread Information