• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jr20516v
  • 1 Post By UFO

Thread: Import Duties

Fellow Frogger!

Default Import Duties

G/DAY ALL,
    has anyone purchased auto parts from the usa or uk and dealt with the import duties shown on the Ebay listings now? I'm not sure if we have to pay them or not, any advise would be great
    Cheers Peter

Advertisement
    LIFES TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!

COL

Hi Peter

This link will answer your questions:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Impo/Buyi
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Col that helped a lot, I'm looking at buying a throttle body injection system for my old falcon ute and if I buy in Australia i'll pay near twice as much.
    Cheers Peter
    LIFES TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Kent View Post
    Thanks Col that helped a lot, I'm looking at buying a throttle body injection system for my old falcon ute and if I buy in Australia i'll pay near twice as much.
    Cheers Peter
    Surprise, surprise there Peter.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hi Peter,
    A lot of companies will break up the order as well to get it under the AUD $1000 per package.

When they do start charging the Government really knows how to add on costs, not just the import tax.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Even if the import goods are over AUD1000 as assessed by customs (note, not USD1000) the duty in a lot of cases is only 5% and then there are free trade agreements in place with a lot of countries (e.g. mainland China, USA, Japan, etc.) which even wipes this out.
    Unfortunately for us Francophiles, no free trade agreements with France or EU.
    But you wouldn't be going through the hassle of buying stuff from overseas unless it wasn't available in AUS (I which case you have no choice) or is significantly cheaper, i.e. a lot more than 5%, than available from Australian sellers in which case it's still a bargain.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Times change...

G'day,

I've been caught with importing an item over the old $1000 limit, it's not the taxes that hurt, the pain comes from having to employ someone to do all the paperwork and employ their favourite courier to get the purchase to you - labour is bloody expensive. Sure you could do it yourself if you do the necessary self-education and it's convenient etc etc.

However, we have maybe moved on from there, following this report in a local paper....
    "eBay threatens to block Aussie shoppers

EBAY has threatened to block Australians from using its platform if the government pushes ahead with its "unworkable" online GST changes. Under new laws slated to come into effect from July 1, overseas businesses with an annual turnover of $75,000 or more will be required to register with the ATO to collect GST on all goods sold, including purchases under the current low-value threshold of $1000.
    Treasurer Scott Morrison claims the changes are about ensuring Australian businesses "do not continue to be unfairly disadvantaged by the current GST exemption that applies to imports of low-value goods".
    Major retailers including Harvey Norman and Premier Investments have long lobbied for the change, saying it will level the playing field against the likes of Amazon, Asos and eBay.

The Miner, Apr 20, 2017"
    I asked my local member....
    I trust this silly GST arrangement is not really on the agenda.....

What overseas small business would bother to do business with small fry Australia ? This action would cut off Aussies from hobby materials and other small things that are not stocked by local businesses, and never would be, the local market is too small. It would also affect the likes of club memberships and magazine subscriptions.

The excuse is that we all should be forced to get a single item, like say a Dremel wire brush, from Bunnings for a ridiculous $7.97 - instead of getting ten of them from China for the same price, including postage to the door ! The question that should be being asked is why are we being taken for suckers by Norman's mates ? No one minds paying a little extra for convenience but 10x is well over the top, this has absolutely nothing to do with GST.

The Australian joe public, the little bloke, would become an outcast in world trade, a sure fire winner for the opposition.
    I was informed that the Govt was backing the changes and it WOULD HAPPEN and what nice fellas Norm and his mates are.

Things move slowly in Govt circles, maybe they are still working out how they could possibly administer it.

Just for the record, I received a parcel ex the US last Friday that the sender had valued at US$200, it didn't come with a bill....

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Its just another way of stinging the little man...nothing to do with protecting OZ businesses who mostly wont have the product or have shocking service. Ever tried to get served in Myers lately........there is nobody around.
    UFO likes this.
    jr20516v

Now:
    Honda EP3 supercharged, 205 1.6 GTi under restoration, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. x2, Colt Ralliart [ highly modded ]

Previous: 205 x33 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post
    Its just another way of stinging the little man...nothing to do with protecting OZ businesses who mostly wont have the product or have shocking service. Ever tried to get served in Myers lately........there is nobody around.
    One of the reasons I won't shop in Myers these days.

I made it known in their Sydney George St store a few years ago when I was told by a staff member standing under a "Pay Here" that she was not serving. I said "GOOD! And I'm not buying here - ever again!"

Myers sucks.

Thread Information