505 sr blinker
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beano

Thread: 505 sr blinker

Tadpole

Default 505 sr blinker

I am getting this car ready for rego and 1 issue is the lhs blinkers blink fast. on the back of the front lhs blinker there appears to a fitting that is broken but I do not know how to get the light out of the bumper. Help appreciated.........cheers.....Wayne

Advertisement

Tadpole

If both globes are working, it might be worth checking the wattage of the globes. Most flasher cans rely on a certain amount of resistance in the circuit to flash at the correct rate. A globe with too low of a wattage wouldn't provide enough resistance and as such flash too fast.

Sent from my E6653 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Its a really simple arrangement.

The whole indicator unit in the bumper has two plastic prongs sticking out of it, backwards inside the bumper. They are only about an inch apart.

Ignore the top one.

The bottom prong is larger than the top one. It has a tag on it, facing downwards.

Push upwards on the bottom prong, and then using that prong, push the whole unit forwards. That end of the unit should then come out of the bumper. The unit swivels at the other end.

It may stick slightly. Just tap....it is only plastic, and old / brittle by now.
    Last edited by Beano; 27th June 2017 at 10:47 AM.

Tadpole

I have the light out [ thanks Beano ] and both globes work [ thanks Gilligan ] and have found two things. There is a wire that looks like an earth that is broken in two places and had a rough repair on one of them. With either or both globes removed the can blinks at the same speed but obviously with no lights.

Tadpole

If you find the issue that's causing the fast flash, let us know, I noticed my lhs blinkers flashing quick last night too. I also have a 505

I have found over many years that it is only ever a blown bulb or a broken wire that produces a fast flash.

Tadpole

All of my experience and education tells me that too, Beano, but when it happened to me the other night all correct lights were on. Since then I've had a few other moments of very poor electrics, and then my battery died for good (dead/collapsed cell). I'm putting it down to the low battery health not allowing strong current flow.

I'll fileaway that one in my memory.

I guess that with cars you can't allow yourself to get confined to one kind of thinking, but have to keep a fresh, open mind for problem-solving, even with small things..
    Gilligan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    All of my experience and education tells me that too, Beano, but when it happened to me the other night all correct lights were on. Since then I've had a few other moments of very poor electrics, and then my battery died for good (dead/collapsed cell). I'm putting it down to the low battery health not allowing strong current flow.

The battery is only used to start the car. Once the car is running all the power is supplied by the alternator.
    Depending on the rating of the alternator, it might struggle at idle if you have a lot of the electrics on (lights, wipers, blower fan, etc.). But otherwise the flashers shouldn't be affected if the alternator/charging circuit is in good condition even with a duff battery.

Cheers
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    The battery is only used to start the car. Once the car is running all the power is supplied by the alternator.
    Depending on the rating of the alternator, it might struggle at idle if you have a lot of the electrics on (lights, wipers, blower fan, etc.). But otherwise the flashers shouldn't be affected if the alternator/charging circuit is in good condition even with a duff battery.

Cheers
    Yes! I agree, that's why I was so confused. I have also tested ny charging system and it is strong. Maybe an issue when hot? Not sure, but it has happened so rarely that I am not yet concerned about it yet.

Thread Information