Does this 306 have an AL4, and what is the prob likely to be ?
  • Help

Default Does this 306 have an AL4, and what is the prob likely to be ?

I have two questions, if some kind person could please help.

I know someone with a 1995 Peugeot 306 XT N3....an automatic. It goes well, but the automatic transmission will not move the car in reverse but otherwise fine in all forward gears.

Would this car have the dreaded AL4 auto box ? And in fact, how does one tell the difference between an AL4 and a ZF auto gearbox ?

And what is the problem likely to be ?

Advertisement

The reason I ask is that I recall the AL4 being notorious for clagging out at about 140,000 Ks, and that is what this car has done...almost exactly.

This car will be the zf. Easily noticed by a t-bar shifter handle

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    I have two questions, if some kind person could please help.

I know someone with a 1995 Peugeot 306 XT N3....an automatic. It goes well, but the automatic transmission will not move the car in reverse but otherwise fine in all forward gears.

Would this car have the dreaded AL4 auto box ? And in fact, how does one tell the difference between an AL4 and a ZF auto gearbox ?

And what is the problem likely to be ?

The reason I ask is that I recall the AL4 being notorious for clagging out at about 140,000 Ks, and that is what this car has done...almost exactly.
    The AL4 first appeared in the 306 models in the N5 update version in 1999 or late '98.
    The identifying feature is as cav91 said, the transmission shifter. Up to late '98 the "bullet proof" ZF 4HP-14 was used. The shifter was a straight line T bar as opposed to the AL4 's dog leg shifter with position indicators built into the instrument cluster (usually flashing)

It sounds like the N3 you are talking about has been seriously neglected due to lack of fluid changes and or the wrong type of fluid used. Dexron 11 is the correct fluid, not Dexron 111 or anything else.
    The ZF's were extremely trouble free in the 306 models however could cause problems in the 405's.

See how dirty the tranny fluid is although the damage is possibly already done !

Allen

Ok...thanks guys.

Alain....is it possible that one of the transmission valves might be kaput ? (I know very little about the inner workings of auto transmissions, but I do know they have "valve bodies" which actuate things).

Fellow Frogger

ZF 4HP14 and 18 can lose reverse if the governor seals fail. That was almost the first symptom with the 4HP18 in my XM, along with some odd hunting. That can be fixed in situ as you can access it by removing the side cover and removing the pinion. The 14 is very similar, but the governor is the other way around inside the gearbox, meaning you can't get at it via the side cover as you can on the 18. You'd try changing the fluid etc. first, but don't be too surprised if it need more work.

Thread Information