307 Automatic reliability
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 Automatic reliability

I'm considering buying a 307 auto and I'm wondering about their reliability. What I'm looking at is a 2 l petrol with the 4 speed (al4 I think). I've heard rumours that these transmissions can give lots of problems. Is that true? If so, is the problem fixable?

Advertisement

I know you're thinking why don't you just get a nice HDi? The thing is in in Ecuador and there just aren't any diesel 307s or 308s here.

I'd be appreciative for any advice you can give me.

1000+ Posts

There's a storm coming your way, so duck! The AL4 repair discussions occupy a very large part of this forum. It would seem that very many, but not all, are expensive as they age.

Had two - both were nightmares. Brand new - auto transmission literally blew itself to pieces on the way home from the dealership - less than 10k's!
    Had it towed back within an hour and after 6 weeks of argument and threats of legal action Peugeot gave me a new car. The transmission decided to start off in 3rd get whenever it felt like it from day one. Very worrying when driving in traffic and starting off at the lights.
    Back to the dealer, and also reported a dinner plate sized pool of engine oil on the garage floor the morning after I picked it up. This was also a brand new car. 13 weeks - yes, you heard right 13 week in the dealership trying to find the problems. CYLINDER HEAD WAS WARPED! They finally agreed to refund my money less $4,000. 'depreciation.' Take it or go to court. I took it.
    DO NOT ON ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TOUCH ONE OF THEM. THEY ARE JUNK!
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

From what I gather,the main problem is the "sealed for life" philosophy directed by Peugeot. In their eyes, "life" may well be defined as about 10 years, after which time it self detonates.

Thread Information